View Full Version : Thinking I might have ADHD

evangeline1313
02-05-17, 11:33 AM
I'm a 20 yo med student, and my whole life I assumed I was just lazy and that everyone had the same trouble concentrating as me but that I was just too lazy to do something. These last few weeks I've been thinking maybe I have ADHD, and I'm not sure what to do-should I even get tested, or am I just making excuses for myself?

I don't remember how active I was as a kid, though I know I spaced out a lot. My friends teased me because I absolutely never payed attention to class, so I always startled and had to ask the teacher to repeat a question when I was called on. I can't seem to pay attention to classes nowadays either, I listen for the first 5 minutes and them drift off. I'm always fidgeting with something, I hate having to sit still (though I know I have to because it's polite).

I have trouble following conversations if there's anything the least bit distracting, like light background noise or multiple speakers. I have normal hearing though. I walk everywhere because I hate having to wait 3 minutes for a tram, and I often get off a few stops early because I can't stand it.

The only way I can study is either due to absolute panic a few days before exams, or if I physically remove absolutely any distraction (library-quiet, I don't take my phone, I'm to embarrassed to get up and walk). If not these two cases, I sit down with a book, read 2 sentences and then get up and do something else. Often while doing whatever I'm doing to procrastinate, I won't enjoy the action and I'll feel sick because I just want to do my task, but I'm unable to.

I solved the ASRS (ADHD self-report scale) and it says I'm in the ADHD suspect group. I have a feeling I might really have ADHD, but my parents will probably say what I do is normal and everyone does it. My dad doesn't even believe ADHD exists. Also, I manage my coursework well enough-I haven't failed a year yet, even though it's difficult, so I think nobody will believe me because "well you're doing fine in school!", but I wish I could work before the deadline, because I'm always so mad and stressed out because I did nothing before.

I guess what I'm looking for is any sort of advice. Thank you!

dvdnvwls
02-05-17, 01:06 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I can't know if you have ADHD.

You don't have to know, either.

If you know that something is not right, then it doesn't matter what the "something" is - you need to get the right kind of help somehow.

I don't know the system in Croatia, for example which kind of professional you should see first for which kind of problems. But go and talk to someone you can trust, and find out. It's better to do it now; if you wait, then the help might be too late. You don't want to be forced to stop school for this kind of reason.

sarahsweets
02-08-17, 04:26 AM
I don't remember how active I was as a kid, though I know I spaced out a lot. My friends teased me because I absolutely never payed attention to class, so I always startled and had to ask the teacher to repeat a question when I was called on. I can't seem to pay attention to classes nowadays either, I listen for the first 5 minutes and them drift off. I'm always fidgeting with something, I hate having to sit still (though I know I have to because it's polite).

Alot of people think you had to be hyperactive as a kid and that if you werent you do not have adhd. Especially with girls, the hyperactivity manifests itself differently and it can be confusing to people exactly what hyperactivity and how its a problem in your life. I know for me, in addition to physical hyperactivity, I had a crazy hyperactive mind, sort of like a hamster on a wheel.

I solved the ASRS (ADHD self-report scale) and it says I'm in the ADHD suspect group. I have a feeling I might really have ADHD, but my parents will probably say what I do is normal and everyone does it. My dad doesn't even believe ADHD exists. Also, I manage my coursework well enough-I haven't failed a year yet, even though it's difficult, so I think nobody will believe me because "well you're doing fine in school!", but I wish I could work before the deadline, because I'm always so mad and stressed out because I did nothing before.

I guess what I'm looking for is any sort of advice. Thank you!

Well you have to be careful of online tests, there are no tests for adhd, so relying on those as a means to diagnose isnt going to get you too far. And you can do well in school and have adhd, it happens for a lot of us.
Are you a minor? If not, dont worry about what your parents or dad thinks. Its not his business.