View Full Version : How do i know if my medication is working?

Soerj86
02-06-17, 08:40 AM
Hi there :)

I was diagnosed with ADHD a few months ago - mainly due to a lacking ability to focus my attention. I'm a 30 year old male, if that's relevant.

Since then I've tried Ritalin Uno for two months, where I gradually went up to 40mg two times a day, without noticing any difference, except for less appetite.

My Doctor told me that some patients dont react to Ritalin at all, so he switched the medicine to Elvanse (think it's called vyvanse in USA).
I'm at 60mg now, but i dont really feel any different still. Except for less appetite, and when i started started, and when I increased the dose I had trouble sleeping for a couple of days, but that went away.

Looking back I think I get a bit more done now than before and that I'm slightly less in need for stimulation from multiple sources at the same time, but I don't feel an actual difference, if I stop and think about it and I cant really descripe an actual effect..
I'm unsure if it is the medicine, if it's placebo, or just a genuine interest in the project I'm currently working on, that allows me to work a bit more focussed.

A friend of mine is taking Ritalin, on a much lower dose than I did, and he tells me that he can feel a big difference, and that he would be able to tell if he was affected by the medication or not, if we made an experiment, where he wasnt aware if he had been given it or not.

What is your experience in that regard?
If you stop an think about it, can you feel the medication working, or is it "just" something you can conclude, looking back at your performance?

I really have no clue how it's supposed to feel, but I guess I had expected to be able to feel some difference, as in "ah! now the medicine is kicking in!" if that makes sense?

English is not my first language, so i apologize for any spelling errors.

Fraser_0762
02-06-17, 08:47 AM
It could be connected to your metabolism. How is your diet generally?

Soerj86
02-06-17, 09:17 AM
I think I have a pretty high metabolism.
I've always had trouble putting on weight, but then again I've always been bad at eating several meals a day consistently, so it might just be that.
I can at least rule out a very low/slow metabolism.

When i got my own place in my late teen-years and in my early 20's I definitly wasnt eating very healthy, with alot of junkfood and so on, but since my GF moved in with me, the meals we're eating is alot more balanced.
I have always had trouble eating breakfast, and I just used to skip it entirely. Now a days I drink one of those drinking yogurt in the morning, to ensure that I at least get something. My doctor said that was enough to take the pills with.

When alone I can sometimes go an entire day without eating practicly nothing, if I'm engaged in an interesting activity, and then at some point I eat a huge meal.
That happens less and less now though, but I almost never have a problem with postponing lunch for a few hours for example. My perception of how hungry I am can go from not hungry at all to full-blown starvation very quickly though :P
When i was taking Ritalin twice a day, I ensured that I had breakfast and lunch consistently, since I had to take the pills with a meal.

Now my diet is relatively varied, but I'm not exactly monitoring every meal calculating carbs, fat, protein and so on.
When getting bloodtests as a prep before getting my diagnosis 4 months ago, my regular doctor explained that I had a lack of vitamin-d, which I took some suplements for.

How can metabolism affect the effect of ADHD medicine?

Soerj86
02-06-17, 10:49 AM
One more question: Do the amount of hours you sleep you get and the amount of water (or other fluids) you drink affect whether or not you can feel the medicine?

C15H25N3O
02-06-17, 11:28 AM
Try out to take Vyvanse 3 hours before first food and drink 1 liter before having food.
Flush Vyvanse with water into your gut.
Dont drink less than 2 liters of water in the first 8 h of effectiveness.

If ritalin and vyvanse reduce appetite and you have problems to sleep the meds work in a way.

Do you take any other meds? Increased serotonine reduces stimulants effectiveness.
Vitamin D3, 5-HTP and cannabis modify AMPs effects, reduce AMPs side-effects and make AMP more subtle.

Ritalin must be felt. AMP should be subtle felt.

I experience huge differents in reading news. I dont have to repeat single rows, lines, paragraphs,
when I use Vyvanse. I abilifies me to read continous.

Do you have a difference in heart rate when doing sports or hiking stairs on Ritalin or Vyvanse?

Talk to your doc about enzyme P450 CYP2D6 which is needed to metabolize AMP.
i dont know if it could be supplemented.

Soerj86
02-06-17, 11:59 AM
Try out to take Vyvanse 3 hours before first food and drink 1 liter before having food.
Flush Vyvanse with water into your gut.
Dont drink less than 2 liters of water in the first 8 h of effectiveness.

I really gotta up my water intake it seems..
If I take the pill 3 hours before first food, I'd basically be skipping breakfast.
Has that worked for you? On several sites I've read that breakfast is especially important for people taking ADHD medicine, if they experience a loss of appetite

dvdnvwls
02-06-17, 07:54 PM
I don't agree with taking it 3 hours before eating. In my experience, the opposite has been true; I need to make sure I eat before the medication starts working (which, since that takes over an hour to happen, is normally not difficult).

Pilgrim
02-07-17, 08:09 AM
Look at how calm you become. That's how I gauge things.

Jenn1202
02-07-17, 10:31 PM
If it works, you'll feel it. I remember my first day on Ritalin. I wasn't sure it was going to work and what it was going to feel like but it made such a huge difference. My mind was clearer and I could focus better. I was also less internally distracted. I wasn't struggling to figure out what I was working on a second before because I wasn't getting distracted every other second. Even though I was on a low dose at the time, the effects were pretty significant.