View Full Version : bipolar or menopause?

Wuvmy3kitties
02-06-17, 01:33 PM
Please forgive the naivete of my post.
I am wondering if perhaps I am becoming, or am, bipolar...I've been having mood swings pretty often these days. My temper is hot (and I'm not proud of that), and flares up all too easily because I'm a HSP.
I've also had days where I could sleep 14 or 15 hours one day, then two or four the next. Extreme depression. Crying spells. Being inconsolable. Headaches. Stressed out beyond belief. When I try to relax, I feel that I cannot because I have such a disaster of an apartment I need to try and get it cleaned up just to please the landlord. (I need assistance with it, but nobody is willing to help, and those who have, have tried to judge me, psycho-analyze me, or toss things of value without my consent.)
That's another problem with me. I feel like my entire life is just an existence, my happiness is irrelevant, and that as long as I "obey the rules" and please those in charge that's all that matters.
Because I also have AvPD, when someone tries to cheer me up nine times out of ten I either don't believe it or can't accept it. Whenever I see one of those "you're special" posts on Facebook or happy type images, I cringe and try to hide it from my timeline as quickly as possible.
Even my hobbies have not helped much, because I am a doll collector and all I hear is that I have "too many" and need to "get rid of some" which I just can't do right now. (I'm not against purging things, but for me doll collecting is a type of therapy.)
A lot has happened already this year, some of it bad, some of it very bad, some "ok." This year has not been a good one.
I want to just stay home and do nothing sometimes, but then the guilt of having to clean up the apartment in case there's a maintenance emergency arises (and it's a mess, as in similar to those on "Hoarders" but not quite as bad).

Of course I'm also in my 50s and have been going thru hot and cold flashes too, so I don't know what this is.

dvdnvwls
02-06-17, 02:52 PM
Bipolar always includes times of mania, and I'm not sure if anything you've described would correspond with that except you mentioned some relatively sleepless nights. Insomnia by itself isn't mania.

I think it seems clear that you've been very depressed at times, and probably less depressed at other times - but I wouldn't think bipolar right away.

Abi
02-06-17, 04:11 PM
TL, DR

If you've had these symptoms earlier in life, then yes, it could be bipolar.

If it's new, then it's menopause. My mum was nutty and my aunt was nuttier when they went through it.

Bipolar symptoms almost always emerges before the age of 30. The typical age of onset of symptoms is 17 - 27.
If you did not have any symptoms prior to that age, it is unlikely you have the condition

Wuvmy3kitties
02-06-17, 04:39 PM
I have always had problems with insomnia. The not getting much sleep has been pretty constant throughout my life. But I don't know if ADHD causes that or not.
I have always had some mood swings, but they got worse once I reached the glorious 5-0. :lol:
It's probably just menopause rearing "his" ugly head. (I call it a "he" since there's a "men" before it. LOL)

Postulate
03-03-17, 10:34 PM
Menopause and ADHD are the two false culprits for every negative event occurring in your life. Blame these two and you're on a few wrong tracks.

Lunacie
03-03-17, 11:43 PM
Menopause and ADHD are the two false culprits for every negative event occurring in your life. Blame these two and you're on a few wrong tracks.

Menopause was generally great for me, no more PMS every 23 freaking days.
There was some confusion and muddy-headedness but I began taking Omega3
and used plant progesterone cream for awhile. Some women have a very hard
time of it though, and that's something I guess a man can't really understand.

But ADHD is certainly the culprit for much that is wrong in my life. Everyone
blamed me for my "moral failure" and of course I blamed myself too. Didn't
find out until I was in my 50's that I have a very real medical condition and I
wasn't such a terrible failure after all.

These days when I hear someone say these aren't real reasons for very real
impairments, I tell 'em to STFU. :p

sarahsweets
03-04-17, 12:21 PM

Then what should she be looking for?

Postulate
03-06-17, 09:51 AM
Then what should she be looking for?

Well, I was gona ask OP how she can explain that she only tries to clean her apartment? I know, when my grandma was 65, she had...a villa. Huge house, 2 floors, and, in one day, she could tear the entire place apart. Not clean it...tear it apart, like a tornado, from top to bottom. Afterwards, it was so clean you wouldn't believe.

That's a fair question. Could avoidance be hidden under a virtuous act of introspection?

Also, OP at what age did you feel you needed a doll collection?

Lunacie
03-06-17, 01:47 PM
Well, I was gona ask OP how she can explain that she only tries to clean her apartment? I know, when my grandma was 65, she had...a villa. Huge house, 2 floors, and, in one day, she could tear the entire place apart. Not clean it...tear it apart, like a tornado, from top to bottom. Afterwards, it was so clean you wouldn't believe.

That's a fair question. Could avoidance be hidden under a virtuous act of introspection?

Also, OP at what age did you feel you needed a doll collection?

Postulate ... do you have ADHD yourself? Do you know anything about it?
You sound so ... unbelieving that it causes real impairments in our functioning.

Little Missy
03-06-17, 02:11 PM

Why are you so interested in menopause and bipolar? The wrong tracks???!!! Is this like West Side Story or something?

Postulate
03-06-17, 02:47 PM
Postulate ... do you have ADHD yourself? Do you know anything about it?
You sound so ... unbelieving that it causes real impairments in our functioning.

And will your ADHD symptoms persist during a manic episode? Oops. Guess you didn't think about that one :)

Lunacie
03-06-17, 03:27 PM
And will your ADHD symptoms persist during a manic episode? Oops. Guess you didn't think about that one :)

I don't have bipolar so no manic episodes. Oops.

I posted my response from the viewpoint of someone with menopause and adhd.

I was trying to understand your viewpoint since I doubt you have menopause.

dvdnvwls
03-06-17, 06:15 PM
Well, I was gona ask OP how she can explain that she only tries to clean her apartment?
Knowing the simplest basics of ADHD will give you the answer. Please go look it up.

Postulate
03-06-17, 06:49 PM
Knowing the simplest basics of ADHD will give you the answer. Please go look it up.

How about you look up bipolar disorder and don't reply to a topic unless you know what's up :scratch:

namazu
03-06-17, 07:22 PM
MODERATOR NOTE: Please stay on topic.

If you have something constructive to add, please say it. We all have things to learn.

Sniping at each other and arguing with other members about who's ignorant about what disorders is not constructive. Further posts in that direction will be removed and appropriate action will be taken.