View Full Version : Should I push for a diagnosis?

Mantistoboggan
02-06-17, 03:47 PM
Hi all,

I had suspected something was wrong with me for a while. My partner suggested it was ADHD and the more I read the symptoms, the more I could relate to them, particularly the inattentiveness symptoms.

Anyway, I finally decided to see a doctor to discuss my concerns and it wasn't the most pleasant experience.
- She told me ADHD is only diagnosed as a child and I am 26 now. (Strange because I know 2 people who have been diagnosed in the last year who are my age or older)
- She said she has seen many children with ADHD and I don't have it.
- She knows I don't have it because I'm holding down a job (I work in childcare)
- She said don't get diagnosed because it will greatly affect my employability.

She did however give me a number to the local Wellbeing service as they offer lots of advice and increased the dosage to my Citralopram.

So, I'm thinking of contacting the Wellbeing service and see what they can offer but wondering if I should push for a diagnosis - what would I gain from getting a formal one as opposed to just managing the symptoms in my own way?

Fuzzy12
02-06-17, 06:58 PM
I was diagnosed when I was 35. However this was after being told by my psychiatrist that I couldn't have adhd since I'd never been fired from a job (just never had had ny contract extended or be made permanent either), had a roof over my head (that was first provided by my parents and then my husband), was in a long term relationship (though my husband was going crazy with me and wanted to call it quits) and had never been in trouble with the law (this I can probably take credit for..).

My psychiatrists too decided that all ny adhd symptoms must be due to depression and kept increasing the dose of my anti depressant beyond the recommend maximum to the extent that I became a suicidal vegetable.

Anyway my answer is that yes, if your symptoms aren't better explained by depression or something else, then get a second opinion. Too many health care providers just are too ignorant about adhd.

According to the NICE guidelines you can be diagnosed with adhd as an adult as long as you showed symptoms in childhood (before the age of 12).

You don't have to disclose adhd to your employer even if you do get diagnosed.

Fraser_0762
02-06-17, 07:04 PM
ADHD is not restricted by age. It's a life long condition and passes on through to adult hood. Request another doctor next time you make an appointment.

I'm also 26 and i'm seeking a diagnosis after many frustrations at college.

Fraser_0762
02-06-17, 07:06 PM
Also, Fuzzy is correct. ADHD will not effect your employability. An employer would only be able to access your medical records with your concent and employers very rarely request such information.

dvdnvwls
02-06-17, 07:34 PM
I think some doctors make a serious mistake in their understanding of the situation; while it's true that ADHD must always begin in early childhood, many adults with ADHD simply went undiagnosed as children. Lack of prior diagnosis does not equal lack of prior condition.

Pilgrim
02-07-17, 08:07 AM
I think some doctors make a serious mistake in their understanding of the situation; while it's true that ADHD must always begin in early childhood, many adults with ADHD simply went undiagnosed as children. Lack of prior diagnosis does not equal lack of prior condition.

My dr did, even if my impairment wasn't great I'd like a diagnosis. Small changes can have big finishes. I could e super angry with Drs for missing my diagnosis but there humans to.

sarahsweets
02-07-17, 11:24 AM
Anyway, I finally decided to see a doctor to discuss my concerns and it wasn't the most pleasant experience.
- She told me ADHD is only diagnosed as a child and I am 26 now. (Strange because I know 2 people who have been diagnosed in the last year who are my age or older)
This is BS.

- She said she has seen many children with ADHD and I don't have it.
- She knows I don't have it because I'm holding down a job (I work in childcare)
More misinformation BS

- She said don't get diagnosed because it will greatly affect my employability.

As others have said, your medical information is protected and you would need to give permission for it to be accessed.

A diagnosis is like a key to the door of treatment. It doesnt always have to be meds, but they help me. When you have the diagnosis you can tailor your treatment to the actual condition and not the one you were haphazardly given.