View Full Version : 11yr old son says he's 'Depressed'

sambodidly
02-07-17, 12:15 PM
Hi Everyone

I'm new so hopefully this is in the correct place.

My 11yr old son is ADHD/Asperges/Anxiety diagnosed and is currently on Equasym XL 40mg per day.

He is becoming increasingly down/sad and angry and says he is so unhappy that he hates everything.

He started high school in September and I know this is stressful, together with probably hormones but i'm really worried for him.

I haven't yet mentioned it to his Paediatrician as they are sometimes hard to get hold of, but didnt know if it was something his GP should see him about?

Thank you

S

namazu
02-07-17, 12:48 PM
Does he have a psychiatrist who manages medications for him?
I'd start there (assuming the doctor's a good listener) -- and don't wait. [EDIT: Looks like you're in the UK? If a psychiatrist is a longer wait, it's fine to start with the GP.]
Also, do you know any details of his school situation? Are there particular teachers, social situations, academic issues, etc. that are a problem? Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible to improve things there.
Best wishes.

dvdnvwls
02-07-17, 01:51 PM
Sometimes, when I hate everything, it's because of one or two bad things that keep happening in my life. Often they are things that other people can't believe would be a problem, but I am very sensitive to some odd things. Maybe your son has a similar thing.

For example, things that are unfair or embarrassing can trouble an 11 year old much more than you'd expect. Check also if there is a certain teacher or other person who he's having personal difficulties with.

sambodidly
02-07-17, 03:55 PM
Namazu

Yes we are in the UK. It takes and age to see his paediatrician so was thinking GP but unsure. Didn't want to make things seem worse for DS.

DS has no friends, it's heartbreaking. He really struggles in school as he's judged so much by his peers for his 'ways'. School have Pastoral but they are pretty useless 💔

Dvdnvwls...you have just wrote something that rings true. DS can have such drastic highs and lows that it can change in an instant, depending what's happening. He's so sensitive but will bottle that up away from home then let it go once he gets home. To hear him say he 'doesn't want to be here' is totally heartbreaking. He only confides in me, which I love but I don't know what to say sometimes.

I know DS is lonely (no friends) but children not see past the 'issues' and only see a problem kid.

sarahsweets
02-07-17, 04:05 PM
Hi Everyone

I'm new so hopefully this is in the correct place.

My 11yr old son is ADHD/Asperges/Anxiety diagnosed and is currently on Equasym XL 40mg per day.

He is becoming increasingly down/sad and angry and says he is so unhappy that he hates everything.

He started high school in September and I know this is stressful, together with probably hormones but i'm really worried for him.

I haven't yet mentioned it to his Paediatrician as they are sometimes hard to get hold of, but didnt know if it was something his GP should see him about?

Thank you

S

Alot of people think that 11 is to young for "real" depression but its not. My 11 year old was hospitalized a year and a half ago because she was suicidal-yes you read that right. I can explain the gut level pain I felt because she was so sad that suicide sounded like an answer. She went inpatient and then partial and then IOP and it saved her life. She got stable on meds-which included an antidepressant and it a different girl now. Been in school plays, select chorus. Had we not taken her seriously and addressed it-well I shudder thinking about what would have happened.

StudyTimeGM
02-07-17, 07:35 PM
Have you considered counseling or therapy? It could help him talk through this with another person.

As for friends / social interaction at school, do you know if he is being bullied? Hopefully that's not the case...but if so, ADDitude mag (http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/print/1595.html) has some tips on how to handle. Otherwise, perhaps there are some other ways to help him make friends, like sports? Sports/exercise can also help mentally...the brain releases powerful chemicals that are in short supply in people with ADHD, including:

dopamine
norepinephrine
serotonin

Best of luck working through this with him...high school years are not easy even for non-ADHD kids.

dvdnvwls
02-07-17, 08:46 PM
Hmmm... Consider that his medication dosage may need adjustment. He's changing a lot right now.

For those who weren't sure, Equasym is methylphenidate.

ToneTone
02-08-17, 07:06 PM
You always have the right to call the doctor immediately about a child's mental health and wellbeing. Absolutely. Or about an adult's wellbeing for that matter.

In a way what you're doing is bringing the doctor in on the problem, so your son's mood becomes his responsibility as well ... So he'll either recommend someone for your son to go to ... or adjust medication himself ... and/or strategize with you about the next steps. Wins all around.

Tone

Aliya12
03-29-17, 01:25 AM
He was bullied or something?

sarahsweets
03-31-17, 05:21 AM
He was bullied or something?

Havent seen the op for a bit, but it sounded like the son had little to no friends vs bullying.