View Full Version : Detriment to My Job; Completely Useless

cjackway
02-07-17, 01:04 PM
No matter how I try, for years, even before I knew I had ADD, I cannot make it on time most of the time to most things, always distracted and mornings are the worst. No matter what time I go to bed, how many hours of sleep I get or how well I sleep, waking up is almost impossible. I simply HATE waking up, ever, yes, been there too almost daily, rather not wake up at all.

Now it is affecting my job in that the main boss (and one co-worker) apparently take issue with my unpredictable arrival from on time to 10 min late, depending on the day. (It doesn't seem to matter that I always make it up by shortening my lunch and/or staying late and often putting in more than 40 hours, but only putting 40 on my timesheet!) They are obviously not the type I can sit down and explain any of this to, not only would they not care, but they're the type who won't believe it even exists and is not just pure laziness.

I have tried setting more alarms, earlier alarms, picking clothes out beforehand, showering the night before, pre-packing my lunch, you name it, I cannot get to work consistently on time.

I was on Adderall for a few years, then developed long-term side effects (like 0-60 monster freaking out screaming and anxious), which also exacerbated my complex migraines/transient ischemic attacks. I cannot afford to try Strattera still at $100 a month! I have tried Clonodine, but fell asleep everywhere, totally lethargic, especially at work (not good).

I am desperately looking for cheap/free suggestions to help me focus, but especially regarding getting up and out the door and to work on time EVERY day.

Please help. At this point, I think I have to find another job before I lose this one as she has already threatened to dock my pay by making me not come in for 1/2 hour if I'm not on time. (i.e., I work at 8, if I'm running late and won't be in until 8:02, I can't come in until 8:30 and cannot recoup that time.)

I do not feel I can get a handle on this, like it's fruitless, and I am doomed, so why bother.

Sincerely,

Useless

dvdnvwls
02-07-17, 01:39 PM
If this is a good job you don't want to lose (and it sounds like it is), then please don't consider yourself doomed. I suggest you change your schedule at home so that you are leaving a half hour earlier than you do now. If you have commitments such as children to drop off or something, you may have to find a way to change those, or make them earlier also.

You can do this! It's a habit thing... Develop a new habit to replace the one you've got.

stef
02-07-17, 01:57 PM
Some morning when you dont work, go through your morning routine and time yourself (use a timer). Add 15 minutes to this!
also: "ready to leave for work" does not actually mean "leaving for work". you can easily lose 5 minutes, putting on coat, checking one thing, and locking the door, etc.

What kind of job is this?
(I dont understand having to clock in at such a precise time; does it affect a shift or coworkers? )

I work in an office (no timeclock things here) , and I'm generally on time but there are so many problems with public transportation here you would have to dock the pay of most employees for being 2 or 10 minutes late.

sarahsweets
02-07-17, 02:07 PM
The only solution I see is to set your clocks ahead by maybe half and hour and leave early, maybe even way before you need to be there.

finallyfound10
02-07-17, 03:15 PM
There is a coupon for Strattera that my pdoc told me about. Look into that!!

Good luck!!

Traveler5
02-07-17, 03:37 PM
You think you're late. I'm the king of being late to everything. I am suppose to be to work by 8:00 am but almost always arrive around 8:30 and sometimes later. Fortunately no one seems to care and my boss has never said anything -- Yet! (knock on wood)

When I do have to be on time (like an early meeting when someone will be waiting for me) I set my alarm at least an hour earlier than I normally set it for and I go to bed way earlier as well so I get the sleep I need. I also take my ADHD pill as soon as I get up so that it gives me a more clear, sharper mind as I get ready. I still may make it out the door 5-10 minutes later than I wanted to but it's not too unacceptably late. Lots of times I make it right on time. But for me, it's setting that alarm early enough (set multiple alarms if you have to) that gives me time to get ready for the day and be somewhere close to being on time (maybe a little late). Good luck to you.

cjackway
02-07-17, 03:48 PM
Thank you everyone.

I'm a legal assistant at a small private law firm and my own private transportation. My only child is 23 and in a graduate program in Germany. It's the can't sleep, can't wake up, constant feeling of confusion, my head running in all directions, can't focus, hyperfocus chaos that make my mornings hell.

I like what I do, but it's not a great environment (horrible managing partner, harassing coworkers, etc). I worked so hard awhile back and was on time every day for over 2 months straight when my boss said she perceived I was consistently late again (WTH?), so I wondered why I worked so hard (and I dreaded every single moment of every single morning). If I set clocks forward, I know they are and account for it.

We don't punch clocks, but the managing partner claims my tardiness causes problems all over the office. The other 2 secretaries say they haven't had any problem with it and know I work my hours. The bookkeeper, on the other hand, is in her car at 5:00:01 pm, so I assume she's on time every day since she made a big deal of it one morning when I was late, saying how everyone else has to work 40 hours, etc. (ya, like I don't see her on yahoo and google and playing computer games all day long), so I confronted her and said I don't know what goes on in your life and I don't ask, assume or judge anything and I don't choose to share my issues with you and don't have to, but I DO work minimum 40 hours a week and am NOT the only person who has been consistently late, asking if she's confronted the other gal (no answer). She just got defensive and yelled, okaaay, I'm soooorrry! I can only assume she is the complainer since the boss isn't even always here when I arrive, but the bookkeeper covers the front desk in the mornings and sees everyone come in (plus she used to work 7:30 -4:30, so was the first one in every day.

I will also look into the Straterra coupon. I make decent wages, but I also have student loans which take most of my wages (BA, MA and JD), so $100/month is a lot and then I don't qualify for most freebies either.

dvdnvwls
02-07-17, 04:51 PM
There is often a hierarchy sort of thing where the boss doesn't have to be on time but everyone else does. It's not fair but it exists in a lot of places. If your place is like that, then if you question it obviously you will get nowhere.

dvdnvwls
02-07-17, 06:10 PM
Do you feel like if you were doing similar work with a different firm it would be better? Or do you suppose they're all like this anyway?

Traveler5
02-07-17, 07:28 PM
I can only assume she is the complainer since the boss isn't even always here when I arrive, but the bookkeeper covers the front desk in the mornings and sees everyone come in.

Don't you just love office politics?

I hate office back-biters, rumor-mongers, brown-nosers, and others who seem to take it upon themselves to be the eyes and ears of the office and pass judgement and share their opinions and gossip with others, about others, in the office. Why is it that some people have to be this way instead of just keeping things to themselves and mind their own business? These people should be strung-up by their tongues for their busy-bodyness and career wrecking behavior.

Since 1985, every office I've been in has at least 1-2 of these kinds of people in them. I can spot them a mile away and I have been really good about steering clear of these people and not participating in perpetuating their ill behavior and activities. I'm sure a flood of misinformation and gossip and back-biting has been targeted toward me when my back has been turned, but I really just don't care and don't allow myself to be immersed in this kind of crap and brew and stew over it. Besides, what I don't know won't hurt me. The only person that really matters to me in my office is my boss and his/her boss. So long as they're happy with me, I'm happy. And I just keep my mouth shut and go on my merry way.

Jenn1202
02-07-17, 09:56 PM
I was on Adderall for a few years, then developed long-term side effects (like 0-60 monster freaking out screaming and anxious), which also exacerbated my complex migraines/transient ischemic attacks. I cannot afford to try Strattera still at $100 a month! I have tried Clonodine, but fell asleep everywhere, totally lethargic, especially at work (not good).

I am desperately looking for cheap/free suggestions to help me focus, but especially regarding getting up and out the door and to work on time EVERY day.

Have you tried Ritalin/Methylphenidate? The generic versions are relatively cheap.

sarahsweets
02-08-17, 05:31 AM
Its so hard not to get wrapped up in office politics. I swear, there are certain people that make you wonder if they were hired to be the office as*hole or if they actually have a position that has an actual job description. Traveler is right though, try not to let it phase you. Of your direct supervisor doesnt have a legit issue with you, then it really doesnt matter what these PITA'S think.

stef
02-08-17, 05:48 AM
That's just insane! how petty. and anyway how can 2 minutes upset anyone?

I also work in a law firm; but it's a very big office (40 partners), so the receptionists absolutely dont keep tabs on people arriving; if someone is late it's going to be dealt with by anyone's direct superiors. I suppose it depends on the partners; the policy is to let them know and well another colleague will take the phone, etc.

Other admin bosses really cant say much - the head of HR for example, lives on the other branch of my train line and so well if there are problems with line A, she is late herself.

I'm so sorry you have to put up with such a horrible work enviornment!

acdc01
02-08-17, 07:02 AM
Can you find another job with more flexible hours? It sounds like regardless of this issue, your workplace sucks and isnt good for you long term anyway.

I give myself a treat in the morning. Like I tell myself I can play on the internet. Seems to really help me. I also have an led disco ball I bought for 15 bucks. I don't use it for waking me up but the lights are hypnotic and very easily changes my focus to the lights. Maybe that could jolt your mind. If not, it's great for times when you can't stop thinking about something but want to. We are more easily hypnotized by shiny things, at least I am.

In the end though, this will probably be a struggle for you always even if you overcome it enough to survive. So I'd personally just find a job where being on time doesn't matter.

Incidentally, if you're only 10 minutes late, I think that is really good and hard to believe not good enough for most places.

Lloyd_
02-21-17, 01:38 AM
No matter how I try, for years, even before I knew I had ADD, I cannot make it on time most of the time to most things, always distracted and mornings are the worst. No matter what time I go to bed, how many hours of sleep I get or how well I sleep, waking up is almost impossible. I simply HATE waking up, ever, yes, been there too almost daily, rather not wake up at all.

Now it is affecting my job in that the main boss (and one co-worker) apparently take issue with my unpredictable arrival from on time to 10 min late, depending on the day. (It doesn't seem to matter that I always make it up by shortening my lunch and/or staying late and often putting in more than 40 hours, but only putting 40 on my timesheet!) They are obviously not the type I can sit down and explain any of this to, not only would they not care, but they're the type who won't believe it even exists and is not just pure laziness.

I have tried setting more alarms, earlier alarms, picking clothes out beforehand, showering the night before, pre-packing my lunch, you name it, I cannot get to work consistently on time.

Please help. At this point, I think I have to find another job before I lose this one as she has already threatened to dock my pay by making me not come in for 1/2 hour if I'm not on time. (i.e., I work at 8, if I'm running late and won't be in until 8:02, I can't come in until 8:30 and cannot recoup that time.)

I do not feel I can get a handle on this, like it's fruitless, and I am doomed, so why bother.

Sincerely,

Useless

Get a job working night/graveyard shift considering folks like us usually are up all hours of the night while we sleep during the day.