View Full Version : My 5 day experience on Dex (kinda graphic)

Friendlyriver
02-08-17, 09:30 AM
So I recently went from 90mg Concerta plus 10mg Ritalin top-up to Dexedrine. Doc gave me 4X 10mg spansule and 2x5mg ir.

So I started just taking the spansule spaced out through the day. As they only last me about 5 hours I overlapped them slightly to give me all day coverage. It was working in the sense that it consistent throughout the day. BUT!

Dexedrine is NOT for me. I lasted 5 days, lowering the dose, raising the dose. Even on a smaller dose I had uncomfortable side effects.

Mentally, my brain was M.T. Like nothing going on. I was hyperfocusing in unproductive things, couldn't hold a social conversation, felt like a loner, and I'm normally a pretty social, funny, charismatic (and slightly abnoxious) person. I also felt like. Time. Slowed. Down...... too much.

Physically, I had a crazy tense jaw, cold hands, and because of the vasoconstrictive properties, I had "cold pool syndrome" all day (you know what I mean guys...)
In addition I had to pee a million times, and had some dribble problems. I was a MESS! My wife said I was acting weird. I was also pretty darn irritable.

SO, back to concerta for me. No ohysical side effects, and pretty good mentlal coverage, just have to figure out how to make it last all day.

So those of you new to all this, like I am, if you are on something I that basically works, stick with it and see if you can work out the kinks with dosage and timing adjustments. Don't go searching for the holy grail of ADHD meds - you might just be already on it!

Friendlyriver
02-19-17, 10:04 AM
So after that first experience on Dexedrine, I decided to give it a second chance.

After a few days of reflection, I realized that at the exact same time as a trial of Dex, I had decided to lower the small dose of risperidone that I'm currently reducing. So it was, well, a waste of a trial, because I have been having a terrible time coming off the risperidone (which I should have never been put on anyways - doc put me on it to "shut up" my irritability).

Sooooo I'm trying the dex agoing.
Yesterday was awesome with very few side effects at all - increased urination in the evening and night but that may have been because the million cups of tea I had.

Anyways, today is day 2 of the new dex trial. We shall see how it goes...

Greyhound1
02-19-17, 12:19 PM
Glad the Dex. worked better this time. You may want to cut back on the tea if it's caffeinated. Caffeine can cause increased urination and interfere with the efficacy of stimulants.

Friendlyriver
02-19-17, 01:49 PM
Thanks Greyhound.

Ya coffee (too match caffiene in general) makes me bat-****-crazy while on stims as well. I was a MAJOR coffee drinker prior to diagnosis and have had to really cut back. I now drink 3 cups per day (actual cups not grandes!). If I go over the 3 I get super grouchy weather I'm taking methylphenidate or amphetamines.

And, it makes me pee. So time to cut back further - I have increased my tea consumption with a decrease of coffee - who am I kidding! Haha

dvdnvwls
02-19-17, 05:26 PM
Either your dose was too high, or it's the caffeine's fault, or both. Blame the caffeine first: go "cold turkey" off all caffeine this Thursday. By Monday you'll be OK. See how things go.

Postulate
02-22-17, 04:51 PM
On Dexedrine you get to see things you normally couldn't see for example:

1) That you used to make non-sense comments, you judge yourself and you stop making those comments and remarks, leaving to believe you are less social. Mistake. You are not less social, you are less annoying, more observative and assertive.
2) That your wife may not be as affectionate towards you as you would like her to be. Even if in absence of Dexedrine you might not have become aware of this problem, on Dexedrine it is much more visible.

Greyhound1
02-22-17, 09:01 PM
Thread Closed for Review

Greyhound1
02-23-17, 09:38 PM
Thread reopened after review.
Please be respectful and stay on topic.
Thanks for your patience.

Friendlyriver
02-24-17, 09:35 AM
Sigh.
Ok, well that went a little sideways for a minute or two didn't it!
So I'm not going to bother commenting on the stuff suggested about my wife. It doesn't warrant a response.

I do appreciate the people that stood up and said something - thanks!

Annnnyyyyy ways.

Dexedrine is REALLY working out for me. Uncomfortable side effects have faded, and I'm left with a jitter-free, focused, non-impulsive, clear thinking and generally productive day! I'm very happy with this medication.

I have found that a combo of ir and spansules seem to work well, as I have a quick metabolism that burns through this stuff pretty quick. I take 40 - 50 mg per day.

Morning 7:00: 2 x 5 mg ir and 1 x 10mg spansule
10:30 ish: 2 x 5 mg ir
14:00 ish: 1 x 5 mg ir and 1 x 10mg spansule
18 - 19:00 ish: 1 mg ir depending on evenings activities!

Sooo I'm doing good. Going to hold here and see how my recovery from 39 years of undiagnosed ADHD goes for me. I finally see light at the end of the tunnel.....

Greyhound1
02-25-17, 12:11 PM
Glad to hear the Dexedrine is working out well!

cobain67
03-15-17, 06:45 PM
How are you faring with the Dexedrine?

Friendlyriver
03-17-17, 09:27 AM
How are you faring with the Dexedrine?

Awesome! I have actually stopped taking the spansules and just take the ir tabs now and have done so for a couple of weeks. I take 10mg every 3 - 3.5 hours for a daily total of 40 - 50.

My doc prescribed me up to 60mg per day, and so I started taking 60 mg and started having lots of side effects etc. But since stepping it down I have been doing great. Really great. I also get almost NO crash at all from Dexedrine.

I have learned not to take it too close to working out. I Crossfit, and find if I take my meds within about 2 hours of a workout I get kinda tingly in the fingers after the WOD due to Vasoconstriction.

I don't really feel the dex at all anymore (this hppens quickly) but I know it's working because I'm finally living up to my own super-critical expectations of myself, and actually feel POSITIVE (for the most part).

Dex has given me the ability to change my life.

sarahsweets
03-17-17, 10:18 AM
Awesome! I have actually stopped taking the spansules and just take the ir tabs now and have done so for a couple of weeks. I take 10mg every 3 - 3.5 hours for a daily total of 40 - 50.

My doc prescribed me up to 60mg per day, and so I started taking 60 mg and started having lots of side effects etc. But since stepping it down I have been doing great. Really great. I also get almost NO crash at all from Dexedrine.

I have learned not to take it too close to working out. I Crossfit, and find if I take my meds within about 2 hours of a workout I get kinda tingly in the fingers after the WOD due to Vasoconstriction.

I don't really feel the dex at all anymore (this hppens quickly) but I know it's working because I'm finally living up to my own super-critical expectations of myself, and actually feel POSITIVE (for the most part).

I love happy endings. Good for you!

cobain67
03-17-17, 05:20 PM

Really glad all is well. ☺

Friendlyriver
03-29-17, 09:20 AM
Life is....
Good. 😊

I'm still amazed everyday at the changes I am now able to make within myself, and the deep and honest reflection I am able to look upon my life with. It's amazing, but I think I have started to forgive myself. My wife has been selfless in her support, love, understanding, and forgiveness.

As I enter my 40 year of life in a couple weeks I only look to the future with optimism. And I try to make the most of the now.

Kdawg1
03-31-17, 06:06 AM
I'm happy to hear everything is good. It feels good to be clear of all that other BS. Build yourself up now! Take care.