View Full Version : Always Looking for a Laugh .....

salleh
02-09-17, 12:09 PM
....Several years ago, I was not on meds, didn't have a doctor anymore, ( my first pdoc had died of cancer) in a very scary bad place mentally and had no place of my own to live....I was staying with tolerant friends ....I had lost everything .....my business, my home, my kitties and my family, ....my immediate family had all died, and my extended family chose to believe my ex husband, and they just weren't there for me.....I had a little money, but not much ......

.....Things were pretty grim .......

...It was about this time that I discovered the internet .....and I did have a laptop ......and one of the first things that I saw was the famous cat meme....a kitten sitting up in the kitchen, and the caption was "I made you a cookie, but I eated it" .......

......I think I laughed for a week .....

......I used to go to the library for the free internet, and look for funny clips on youtube .....a friend of mine and I almost got kicked out because we couldn't stop laughing out loud.....

....this led to the "I Can Has CHeeseburger" blog, and one thing led to another and over a period of time, full of frustration, sorrow, moving from southern Cal back to the Bay Area, .....finding out my child ( who was adopted) wanted nothing to do with me ....what kept me alive was that blog, and laughing at the antics of kitties ....

.....Laughing saved my life ......it seems a lot of folks who are going through rough times like to wallow in their pain .....I always hated that ......and it was what saved me, that desire to laugh ......then a fellow kitty lover on that blog sent me $2000, ( a total stranger who believed in me after chatting through that blog) I found a roommate, and things started to turn in a positive direction ....and slowly but surely I have made my way back to a happy life ......it hasn't been in giant leaps, just little baby steps wandering in many directions

...It's certainly not what I expected of my life .....not what I planned or trained for, for many years .....and I still don't have my own personal place, like I once did .....but I no longer live in my car, I have not 1 but 2 roofs over my head ....

....I can hold my head up and renew old friendships, and I am becoming more and more successful in the business I fell into sideways, it is exhilerating to be me these days .....I look forward to going back to California and hitting the new shows I have applied for, and going back to the shows where I am already doing really well......I am looking forward to coming up with new designs .....

......the rollercoaster ride is climbing swiftly to the top of the hill, and the ride down will be fun, for the first time in years, I have my confidence back .....I know this season will be even better than the last one .....perhaps even the big break through I am aiming for .....no, make that probably, not perhaps, I have worked hard for this, and prepared diligently.....

....and all because I was looking for a laugh ......

Little Missy
02-09-17, 01:20 PM
If I didn't have humour and the ability to laugh at myself I'd be ....not good.

Fuzzy12
02-09-17, 01:36 PM
Sometimes when um down and want to feel better (which isn't always the case) I look up bushisms. Never fails to make me laugh.

Also I've discovered all seasons of would I lie to you on YouTube! !! I watch one every night while I'm doing a particularly boring job.

salleh
02-09-17, 02:20 PM
ooooo Fuzzy ! that's one of my favorites ! ....doncha just love David Mitchell ? I cannot stand the presenter .....he's awfully full of himself .....but MItchell just cracks me up something fierce.....

Little Missy
02-09-17, 03:58 PM
Sometimes when um down and want to feel better (which isn't always the case) I look up bushisms. Never fails to make me laugh.

Also I've discovered all seasons of would I lie to you on YouTube! !! I watch one every night while I'm doing a particularly boring job.

Him calling Putin, "Pootie-Poot."

Fuzzy12
02-09-17, 04:27 PM
ooooo Fuzzy ! that's one of my favorites ! ....doncha just love David Mitchell ? I cannot stand the presenter .....he's awfully full of himself .....but MItchell just cracks me up something fierce.....

Never used to like to David Mitchell till would I lie to you. Now I love him not only because he's super funny but also because he seems to be very liberal and just a nice guy.

Could never stand rob brydon but he's growing on me. ..:D

Fuzzy12
02-09-17, 04:27 PM
Him calling Putin, "Pootie-Poot."

He didn't:eek::lol:

midnightstar
02-09-17, 04:30 PM
Dave Gorman Modern Life is Goodish is what makes me laugh when it's on the telly :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhTUh7BhQw4

Little Missy
02-09-17, 04:44 PM
He didn't:eek::lol:

He did! Bushy was one helluva funny guy. "I'm the DECIDER!"

Little Missy
02-09-17, 04:57 PM
Did you see the shots of him and Cheney at the inaugeration when it started raining? Cheney was sitting behind him and trying to help put a rain poncho on him. First it was around his shoulders like a stole, then it was like a round tablecloth over his head and completely covering his head and face, then Cheney was wrangling it over his head...:lol: it went on and on...

Come on, surely you saw all the shots of Trump in his bathrobe(s) yesterday! NYT reported that all he does is wear a bathrobe and carry a black Sharpie to correct things and Spicer claims, "He does NOT wear a bathrobe!"

Next thing you know there are shots of him all over the place, albeit young, in a bathrobe. Holding a baby in a bathrobe, all coy on the bed in a bathrobe and then some guy says, "He's a hotel magnate, of course he has a bathrobe!" And shows an auctioned off autographed bathrobe from Trump!

Life is funny, people are funny. Gotta laugh.

Fuzzy12
02-09-17, 05:06 PM
Did you see the shots of him and Cheney at the inaugeration when it started raining? Cheney was sitting behind him and trying to help put a rain poncho on him. First it was around his shoulders like a stole, then it was like a round tablecloth over his head and completely covering his head and face, then Cheney was wrangling it over his head...:lol: it went on and on...

Come on, surely you saw all the shots of Trump in his bathrobe(s) yesterday! NYT reported that all he does is wear a bathrobe and carry a black Sharpie to correct things and Spicer claims, "He does NOT wear a bathrobe!"

Next thing you know there are shots of him all over the place, albeit young, in a bathrobe. Holding a baby in a bathrobe, all coy on the bed in a bathrobe and then some guy says, "He's a hotel magnate, of course he has a bathrobe!" And shows an auctioned off autographed bathrobe from Trump!

Life is funny, people are funny. Gotta laugh.

Nope haven't seen any of it but just reading the description makes me laugh...:lol:

salleh
02-09-17, 10:39 PM
I'll have to check out Modern Life is Goodish ....love that title .....Oh and I've read David's autobiography, it's very good ......he adores his wife ...( not crazy about her either .....but if she makes him happy ....) ...and stateside our very hot John Oliver was in the Cambridge footlights with Mitchell .....John Oliver is fab-u-lous ! .....

and I forget what it's called, just remembered, "The Unbelievable Truth ", but Mitchell has a Radio show that's very good too .....and his rants. the Soapbox series on you tube is very good ....

finallyfound10
02-09-17, 10:45 PM
salleh,

Your post gives me a lot of hope for the future. Thanks for sharing.

salleh
02-09-17, 11:18 PM
...Here's a taste of David MItchell .....( I especially love #2 and #3 .....plus all the rest ....but 2 and 3 .....whoohoo )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Xshr9XUzA

salleh
02-09-17, 11:21 PM
and MIchael McIntrye cracks me up something fierce ....and John Bishop ....and oh shoot, I could go on for hours about the British stand up comedians .....they're all funny ....somewhere along the line in the past several years, the American comics, with very few exceptions have lost it ......not only not funny, but crude and vulgar to boot ....

psychopathetic
02-10-17, 12:46 AM
(((((((Salleh)))))))

What a beautiful story, and thank you for sharing!

Little Missy
02-10-17, 07:30 AM
and MIchael McIntrye cracks me up something fierce ....and John Bishop ....and oh shoot, I could go on for hours about the British stand up comedians .....they're all funny ....somewhere along the line in the past several years, the American comics, with very few exceptions have lost it ......not only not funny, but crude and vulgar to boot ....

yup, Brits got it goin' on in the funny department.