View Full Version : Methylphenidate and coffee

andrea_79
02-09-17, 12:27 PM
Hello, I've been taking Tradea Lp (in other countries Ritalin)(metylphenidate) 54mg , for 7 months and also drink coffee, like 4 or 5 cups a day, is this ok? I stop drinking coffee when I feel nervous, etc, but I don't know if this is bad. Please, someone can help me? thanks.

Toss4n
02-12-17, 10:45 AM
Hello, I've been taking Tradea Lp (in other countries Ritalin)(metylphenidate) 54mg , for 7 months and also drink coffee, like 4 or 5 cups a day, is this ok? I stop drinking coffee when I feel nervous, etc, but I don't know if this is bad. Please, someone can help me? thanks.

As long as you don't feel any added anxiety, your BP/HR are under control, and you get enough sleep, there really shouldn't be a problem with the combination. :)

dvdnvwls
02-12-17, 12:19 PM
For many people, it's a problem.

You might be fooling yourself because you like coffee.

Or you might be one of those who just doesn't have a problem with it.

C15H25N3O
02-13-17, 08:54 PM
Simply said:

Caffeine adds some norephinephrine to your med that should be Concerta.
What some people cannot handle is the adrenaline that caffeine also adds.
But there are also some people who are excited by adrenaline.

Take care! Mention, methylphenidat and caffeine are not good for your stomach.

sarahsweets
02-14-17, 04:49 AM
I can drink coffee and take stimulants but I have been on stimulants for over 15 years. I can say that in the beginning I eliminated caffeine when I first started because I wanted to evaluate the effectiveness of the meds on their own. Many people cant have both though.

RJV1989
02-14-17, 11:55 PM
I drink caffeine with my Ritalin (energy drinks). I am still able to concentrate well and pay attention. I know this combo is not recommended. It can increase blood pressure in alot of people.

dvdnvwls
02-15-17, 12:06 AM
It can also cause a super bad caffeine buzz and everything that goes with that.

It really depends on the person.

My basic rule of thumb is, if there's a problem with ADHD medication and the person has caffeine, then the caffeine is guilty until proven innocent. I think it's a reasonable method.

Toss4n
02-20-17, 08:44 AM
I drink caffeine with my Ritalin (energy drinks). I am still able to concentrate well and pay attention. I know this combo is not recommended. It can increase blood pressure in alot of people.

That's why everyone taking stimulants should invest in a simple home BP meter and measure it once or twice a day just to be on the safe side. :)

Fraser_0762
02-20-17, 08:55 AM
Ritalin and Caffeine are both diuretics. This causes you to urinate and sweat more. Causing your body to lose a lot of moisture. This can lead to high blood pressure and headaches, as well as other uncomfortable side effects.

The key (and I can never stress this enough to people) is hydration. Make sure you replace the liquids lost on a consistent basis, preferably with plain water.

cwf1986
02-21-17, 05:55 PM
I take adderall which is 3/4 dexamphetamine and 1/4 levo-amphetamine and I do drink coffee or tea with added caffeine in the morning and regular tea in the afternoon and early evening.

The adderall doesn't do much for me as far as just wakefulness goes. It mostly helps with staying on task, organizing my thoughts, conscientiousness, and mental clarity. But the caffeine will help wake me up and get me going.

Granted, I take in about 1/2 the caffeine I used to before stimulant medicine.

C15H25N3O
02-21-17, 07:31 PM
You are funny guys. Stimulants are a gift straight from heaven but coffee is the devil himself.

What about decreasing the pills to enjoy a better and more normal life including some coffee?

Oh, I forgot. Coffee makes addict, pills not. :giggle:

Fraser_0762
02-21-17, 09:29 PM
Caffeine will certainly help wake you up, but you'll find that drinking water and keeping yourself well hydrated will be just as effective, without the negative side effects associated with caffeine consumption.

I'm really bad for Caffeine at the moment (unmedicated). But the thing that helps wake me up most isn't the Caffeine, but grabbing a cool shower in the morning and drinking plenty of water throughout the day.

cwf1986
02-23-17, 02:49 AM
I'm glad that works out for you, but I already stay very well hydrated and always end my showers with cool water.

I also don't experience negative side effects from caffeine. There's a sweet spot for the right amount of caffeine for me. Some in the morning and then there's the tea throughout the day but that's arguably negligible and if it is doing anything then the theanine in tea would help mitigate possible sides.

Granted, if I carpet bomb my body with caffeine for weeks bad things will start to happen.

I'll grant you this much, there's no replacement for health living. If caffeine enhances your life then great. But it's also wise to ask oneself if caffeine is a crutch.

dvdnvwls
02-23-17, 05:43 PM
If caffeine is a "crutch", and if it really works for you, then you should continue it.

For me, it's like a broken crutch; caffeine forces me awake, but while I'm "caffeine-awake" I'm also stupid.

C15H25N3O
02-24-17, 11:23 PM
Did anyone try life as a stimulant?

RJV1989
03-14-17, 09:07 PM
Ritalin and Caffeine are both diuretics. This causes you to urinate and sweat more. Causing your body to lose a lot of moisture. This can lead to high blood pressure and headaches, as well as other uncomfortable side effects.

The key (and I can never stress this enough to people) is hydration. Make sure you replace the liquids lost on a consistent basis, preferably with plain water.

Yes I agree with the hydration. Drink plenty of water.