View Full Version : Need Dexedrine for Work, Can't sleep

FinallyKnowNow
02-10-17, 05:29 AM
After a potentially life-threatening distraction on the job, I was diagnosed at age 40, and immediately started on Dexedrine. I take it 3 times a day, to get through a 12 hour shift. I also started on Zopiclone (Imovane) at the same time. I also have a surgically shortened gut, so my absorption is in un-charted waters. Zopiclone 7.5 mg did nothing, so I went to 15 mg. This works, to counteract the wakefulness, but I noticed that I get the "waking amnesia" side effect, where I do things, (not stupid, but may be cooking, talking on the phone, sending e-mails, whatever) with absolutely no knowledge of having done it the next morning. So I asked a new Dr. to try something else. He said to try Temazepam. 25mg did nothing, 50 mg did nothing, 75 mg did nothing...I don't know if there is something better, or a higher dose is still needed. I work nights, so sleeping the next day is crucial, otherwise I am awake straight through, and then have to go back to work, on no sleep. I have ended up staying awake for up to 66 hours straight... What have you found that works for you?

dvdnvwls
02-10-17, 02:53 PM
Have you tried reducing your final dose of Dexedrine to a smaller amount?

Fraser_0762
02-10-17, 03:06 PM
Try taking Magnesium before bed at night. I find I get a better sleep when I do.

dvdnvwls
02-10-17, 03:32 PM
Despite anything anyone can say, in the end you need sleep for work even more than you need Dexedrine for work. That means, despite anything anyone can say, there is going to be a compromise. It's better to start out already knowing that.

Pilgrim
02-25-17, 01:16 AM
Despite anything anyone can say, in the end you need sleep for work even more than you need Dexedrine for work. That means, despite anything anyone can say, there is going to be a compromise. It's better to start out already knowing that.

True, I had an issue with this. I noticed once certain profound emotional issues were dealt with my sleep was something to look forward to. The sleep is more important than anything.

sarahsweets
02-25-17, 08:26 AM
I also have surgery that affected the way I absorb medications. What it sort of turned me into is that elusive "fast metabolizer" which is a phrase that people toss around and I wouldnt have bought into, had I not had my body changed. For me that usually means I take xr versions of things because I blow through most ir versions super fast. The xr versions of things tend to last as if they are ir. I take adderall xr multiple times a day because I do not get 6-8 hours out of it like most people. Ir adderall or any other stimulant was a wasted because in 2 hours it would be like I had taken nothing.
I used to take all kinds of benzos and sleep meds but my body changed the way I absorbed them so I was all kinds of f'd up when I took them, plus I am an alcoholic so generally speaking, downers arent good for me.

I under went sleep training that took me 9 months and it saved my life. It wasnt easy, but it was worth it.

33Forward
03-10-17, 03:51 PM
At one point in time, I had to work overnight weekends, then switch back to day shifts on Monday. It was maddening, and I was constantly sick.
The only things I did, that seemed to lessen the effect of this insane schedule:

Your body depends on light to figure out when to release signals to sleep or wake up. Normally, your body turns to sunlight. To change this, and "trick" ourselves into an altered schedule is to change our light exposure. I used black out curtains to block sunlight when I had to sleep during the day. I used a lot of lights and digital timers to mimic the room brightening effect that a sunrise would normally create. (I now have a dedicated sunrise alarm clock that does the same thing, which helps get up when I have early morning shifts).
I also influenced my brain's wake/sleep state using different music. When I needed to be awake, I would play fast paced rock or techno. When I needed to sleep, I would play mellow slow music, usually some classical and some loops created just to have some soothing background.
I also used a supplement called 5HTP, which is Tryptophan, which helps your body start producing sleep-inducing chemicals.

Now that I have a more steady schedule, and have researched many things in the past several years, I still stick by the 5HTP to help sleep, I have my sunrise alarm clock to help wake up, and I use essential oils to help strengthen the sleep/wake signals. The more I've looked into it recently, the more I've seen how smells influence the limbic system, and your brain can associate a scent or smell with a task, a memory, feeling full or feeling hungry, and when you should be awake or asleep. Our sense of smell feeds right into the limbic system with no filters, so scents make their changes fast, usually instantly.

Postulate
03-10-17, 04:27 PM
Are you able to tell us your profession and your work setup?