View Full Version : For me, Adderall > Vyvanse

Meteodan
02-10-17, 01:02 PM
Hi all,

Up until a month ago, I had been taking Vyvanse in varying dosages for about 3 years, and it worked well, especially at first. Over time, I started to have more side effects (nervousness, irritability, etc.), and the length of effectiveness began to decrease. I settled on 30 mg twice a day, and that seemed to mitigate most of the above issues. However, it was getting darn expensive (and we just had another baby, so need to spend less), so I asked my psychiatrist a month ago if I could switch to another medication that had generics available. He suggested Adderall (IR), and prescribed me 10 mg twice a day, and 5 mg in the afternoon as needed.

At first I was a little nervous because 1) I had heard that Adderall may cause more anxiety than Vyvanse owing to having levoamphetamine in addition to the dextroamphetamine common to both drugs, and 2) my previous experience with an IR med (Focalin, which of course is a methylphenidate) made me feel like I was on a crazy rollercoaster of rapidly changing emotions and energy levels. But, after about a month, I can honestly say that this has so far been the best drug as far as effectiveness vs. side effects for me (and I've tried several). I actually feel much *less* anxious and irritable than on Vyvanse. I'm much calmer and focused. In fact, it reminds me of Strattera in many ways, which is the first med I was prescribed and I wish I could still take (stupid side effects!).

The only issue I've had so far is occasionally feeling *too* calm and relaxed, to the point of drowsiness/sluggishness. This most often happens after the morning dose (taken around 7:45 a.m.) and on days where I haven't had enough sleep the night before (again, new baby!). I take my second 10 mg dose at noon, and 5 mg around 4-5 p.m. and most of the time, the afternoons and evenings are perfect.

Just thought I'd share :)

elite242lbs
02-10-17, 03:10 PM
Great to hear! Adderall is definitely the most popular. I had the most success with it when I added Doctor's Best Magnesium Chelated 600mg at night. The biggest difference I noticed was with my second dose lasting longer and becoming more effective.

lntense
02-21-17, 05:53 PM
Vyvanse leaves me feeling a little cracked out and roller coasterish. Plus it seems to last way too long, and isn't consistent for me.

Everyone is different.