View Full Version : Full range of dexedrine withdrawal symptoms?

Tosslehoff
02-13-17, 01:45 AM
What is the full range of Dexedrine withdrawal symptoms?

I had appendicitis, treated with antibiotics. Following this, I developed sporadic RLQ pain that I had associated with taking dexedrine, as my bloodwork has never corroborated a recurrence of appendicitis.
I've been trying to go off Dexedrine cold turkey for about a month. Had major panic attacks, ended up being prescribed a week of ativan (with a warning about it being habit forming)
I took it as directed, the next week I saw my psychiatrist complaining of a lack of appetite. He prescribed me another week of ativan.

I'd taken a couple dexedrine throughout this period, concluded it was causing my abdominal cramps, and went cold turkey off it (intended to be the final time) on the same day I ran out of ativan.

2 days later I'm in the hospital - major abdominal pain, I think it's my appendix. They conclude it's not, differential me as "diverticulitis" and prescribe flagyl and amoxil for a week.

2 days following this, the pain is worse, I've progressed from no appetite to full blown vomiting. I end up back in the ER. They tell me, well, the antibiotic is working, but you clearly have terrible anxiety issues, so here's 1mg of ativan, take it 4 times daily.
I expressed concern at this, but he told me it was an all or nothing sort of deal, and I took the meds.

I was getting a bit high off the dose, so I cut it back, but in this time my abdominal and panic symptoms subsided. Mentally, I'd attributed this to the antibiotics (since I've withdrawn from dexedrine before and experienced only fatigue), concluded I had an infection, and decided to try taking my normal 10mg 2x daily dose of dexedrine.

Mentally, I felt fine, but the abdominal pain returned. I associated it with the dexedrine, not knowing how addictive ativan is, and stopped taking it.

4 days later, I'm back in the hospital. They tell me I'm addicted to Ativan, prescribe me enough to get to my next dr appointment.
The thing is, the ativan doesn't completely resolve my symptoms.
I'm still (but less) nauseated. I still have the panic. I still randomly burst into crying spells.
I take 10mg of dexedrine, feel a bit odd, then about 5 hours later start feeling totally normal. No more mental anguish or anxiety, the nausea faded, I had a bowel movement. I was even able to eat.

So, what I want to know from you people, experts of the internet, can dexedrine withdrawal paradoxically result in a loss of appetite? coupled with cramps, vomiting, and constipation?

EDIT: Just to note, I was taking 10mg 2x daily for about 8 months, with a 2 year gap between that and 12 years of 36-54mg concerta. Quitting the concerta was the worst withdrawals I've ever faced and it took a solid 2 years to recover, before I was willing to try other ADD meds.

dvdnvwls
02-13-17, 03:46 AM
No.

Stopping Dexedrine suddenly would cause you to feel tired for a few days. That's it. The rest of the problems are from other sources.

Tosslehoff
02-13-17, 01:25 PM
No.

Stopping Dexedrine suddenly would cause you to feel tired for a few days. That's it. The rest of the problems are from other sources.

Yeah?
Because I started it again last night and my worse symptoms lifted. Nausea gone. Bowel movements again.

sarahsweets
02-13-17, 01:41 PM
Just wanted to share that doctors didnt believe me that my children both had appendicitis. My son had to suffer for over 2 weeks at age 7 before he was rushed into surgery. My daughter was 14 and all the labs and xrays came back normal so I took her to my son's surgeon, he went in for exploratory and it was her appendix which was so swollen and ready to burst. She had to suffer for over a month and I had to deal with doctors who thought I was crazy.

What is the full range of Dexedrine withdrawal symptoms?

I had appendicitis, treated with antibiotics. Following this, I developed sporadic RLQ pain that I had associated with taking dexedrine, as my bloodwork has never corroborated a recurrence of appendicitis.
I've been trying to go off Dexedrine cold turkey for about a month. Had major panic attacks, ended up being prescribed a week of ativan (with a warning about it being habit forming)
I took it as directed, the next week I saw my psychiatrist complaining of a lack of appetite. He prescribed me another week of ativan.

I'd taken a couple dexedrine throughout this period, concluded it was causing my abdominal cramps, and went cold turkey off it (intended to be the final time) on the same day I ran out of ativan.

2 days later I'm in the hospital - major abdominal pain, I think it's my appendix. They conclude it's not, differential me as "diverticulitis" and prescribe flagyl and amoxil for a week.

2 days following this, the pain is worse, I've progressed from no appetite to full blown vomiting. I end up back in the ER. They tell me, well, the antibiotic is working, but you clearly have terrible anxiety issues, so here's 1mg of ativan, take it 4 times daily.
I expressed concern at this, but he told me it was an all or nothing sort of deal, and I took the meds.

I was getting a bit high off the dose, so I cut it back, but in this time my abdominal and panic symptoms subsided. Mentally, I'd attributed this to the antibiotics (since I've withdrawn from dexedrine before and experienced only fatigue), concluded I had an infection, and decided to try taking my normal 10mg 2x daily dose of dexedrine.

Mentally, I felt fine, but the abdominal pain returned. I associated it with the dexedrine, not knowing how addictive ativan is, and stopped taking it.

4 days later, I'm back in the hospital. They tell me I'm addicted to Ativan, prescribe me enough to get to my next dr appointment.
The thing is, the ativan doesn't completely resolve my symptoms.
I'm still (but less) nauseated. I still have the panic. I still randomly burst into crying spells.
I take 10mg of dexedrine, feel a bit odd, then about 5 hours later start feeling totally normal. No more mental anguish or anxiety, the nausea faded, I had a bowel movement. I was even able to eat.

So, what I want to know from you people, experts of the internet, can dexedrine withdrawal paradoxically result in a loss of appetite? coupled with cramps, vomiting, and constipation?

EDIT: Just to note, I was taking 10mg 2x daily for about 8 months, with a 2 year gap between that and 12 years of 36-54mg concerta. Quitting the concerta was the worst withdrawals I've ever faced and it took a solid 2 years to recover, before I was willing to try other ADD meds.

Tosslehoff
02-13-17, 01:47 PM
Aye, but I've had enough CT scans, bloodwork, and the pain actually tracks with my Ativan dose rather than anything else. On a stable dose of Ativan, pain completely dissipates. This is what had my psychiatrist thinking it was somatoform, that the anxiety relief was letting up on my pain. But I've only now realized that it's actually addiction to the ativan relieving my pain.

The thing is, it only relieves my pain. It doesn't relieve panic, vomiting, constipation. That comes from taking dexedrine.

I found a meta-analysis that compiled a list of side effects reported by people attempting to cold turkey detox off of amphetamines

Table 1
Number and percentage of individuals describing withdrawal symptoms
on stopping amphetamine sulphate
Symptom Frequency
No Symptoms 7 (14%)
Irritability 39 (78%)
Aches and pains 29 (58%)
Feeling depressed 25 (50%)
Impaired social functioning 23 (46%)
Shivers and cold sweats 18 (36%)
Difficulty in sleeping 16 (32%)
Exhaustion 11 (22%)
Nausea and vomiting 8 (16%)
Headaches 7 (14%)
Difficulty in staying awake 6 (12%)
Increased appetite 6 (12%)
Constipation 5 (10%)
Decreased appetite 4 (8%)
Diarrhoea 3 (6%)
Increased persecutory ideation 1 (2%)
Auditory hallucinations 1 (2%)
Skin irritation 1 (2%)

It seems, if this is accurate, decreased accurate is nearly as prevalent as increased appetite. Nausea and vomiting is not unknown, and aches and pains have a prevalence of 58%!!

The logic behind it seems relatively simple to me - like a person who uses coffee every morning before their morning BM - they abstain from coffee, and get constipated. Constipation can cause nausea.
Dex, at least for my gut, hits it much the same way as caffeine. If I go off dex, I notice an immediate slowing to halting of bowel movements. If I take the dex again after 2-3 days I'll have a massive BM like I was backed up from withdrawing.

Tosslehoff
02-13-17, 02:27 PM
FWIW, when I came off concerta, I recall spending a week 'with the flu' and my appetite dropped so much I dropped from 410lb to 280lb.
Amphetamines do not suppress my appetite.

Tosslehoff
02-13-17, 03:40 PM
If anyone is interesting in the study I was citing
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9543652

PMID is 9543652 but you'll need some additional resources to read more than the abstract.

Little Missy
02-13-17, 04:06 PM
I sure do hope you'll be feeling better soon. :)

Tosslehoff
02-13-17, 04:22 PM
Remarkably, today, upon continuing dexedrine at my normal dose, I feel so close to normal that it's offputting.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm experiencing some form of psychotic depression. I hadn't just stopped eating.. I had stopped engaging in ALL pleasurable activities. I was just setting vegetative in my chair all day crying and stricken down by fear.

dvdnvwls
02-13-17, 04:27 PM
Detox??

Are you addicted and taking high doses?

Taken as prescribed, you won't encounter those problems.

Tosslehoff
02-13-17, 04:40 PM
Detox??

Are you addicted and taking high doses?

Taken as prescribed, you won't encounter those problems.

Looks like its your anecdote vs my anecdote.

I've taken it exactly as prescribed. 10mg, 2x daily. for 6 months. Prior to that, I was on concerta 36-54mg for 12 years.

And I've encountered these problems.
If you'd like, I can cite research papers demonstrating people having psychotic reactions after cold turkeying off normal doses.

Personally, I think it's a complication of the dual-withdrawal. Dex withdrawal on its own has never done this to me, nor has withdrawing from Xanax. But the two together, and my intestines stop working.

dvdnvwls
02-13-17, 05:56 PM
I have no idea how that would work.

But for sure something is not right in your situation; there's something you and/or doctors have yet to figure out.

Please make absolutely 100% certain that your doctors have all possible information about everything you take, everything you eat or drink, and all of your symptoms.

Tosslehoff
02-13-17, 06:46 PM
I have no idea how that would work.

But for sure something is not right in your situation; there's something you and/or doctors have yet to figure out.

Please make absolutely 100% certain that your doctors have all possible information about everything you take, everything you eat or drink, and all of your symptoms.

Absolutely. This next appointment will be definitive.

Jenn1202
02-13-17, 09:14 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this. You mentioned that quitting Dex cold turkey gave you panic attacks. Panic attacks tend to increase the acidity in your stomach and that can cause stomach issues and give you really bad stomach aches, especially if you develop an ulcer or gastritis. I had gastritis in the past and it hurt so bad that I felt like my stomach was on fire. I was extremely nauseous to the point where I couldn't eat anything and was throwing up a lot, especially in the morning. You may want to go see a GI, especially now that you're mentally ok but the pain is still there. I would also make sure not to take acid blockers with dex because these medications tend to interact.

aeon
02-13-17, 09:32 PM
Don't underestimate the power of unexpressed neurosis, ego dystonia, and anxiety to wreak havoc on the gastrointestinal tract, to the point of being incapacitated.

The power of amphetamine, caffeine, and nicotine to alter the nature of your bowels is just a cute parlor trick compared to your nervous system going to war against your GI.

Well Wishes,
Ian

Little Missy
02-13-17, 10:29 PM
Looks like its your anecdote vs my anecdote.

I've taken it exactly as prescribed. 10mg, 2x daily. for 6 months. Prior to that, I was on concerta 36-54mg for 12 years.

And I've encountered these problems.
If you'd like, I can cite research papers demonstrating people having psychotic reactions after cold turkeying off normal doses.

Personally, I think it's a complication of the dual-withdrawal. Dex withdrawal on its own has never done this to me, nor has withdrawing from Xanax. But the two together, and my intestines stop working.

Xanax withdrawal can produce the symptoms you've mentioned.

Tosslehoff
02-14-17, 01:39 AM
Don't underestimate the power of unexpressed neurosis, ego dystonia, and anxiety to wreak havoc on the gastrointestinal tract, to the point of being incapacitated.

The power of amphetamine, caffeine, and nicotine to alter the nature of your bowels is just a cute parlor trick compared to your nervous system going to war against your GI.

Well Wishes,
Ian

Thanks for the post. I've been thinking about this as well. It occured to me at some point, it wasn't just food I'd stopped seeking out. I had stopped ALL pleasureseeking activities.
I was in a really dark place, and the effects of major depression on things like appetite are well known.
Some kind of complicated syndrome complex I've got going on here.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll update this thread as things progress.

cobain67
02-14-17, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the post. I've been thinking about this as well. It occured to me at some point, it wasn't just food I'd stopped seeking out. I had stopped ALL pleasureseeking activities.
I was in a really dark place, and the effects of major depression on things like appetite are well known.
Some kind of complicated syndrome complex I've got going on here.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll update this thread as things progress.

Definitely Xanax withdrawals can and do often cause this... Benzo withdrawal in general... I am 3 months off Klonopin and dealt heavily with this... I tapered off over months too, so cold turkey indeed can and will cause the symptoms you mentioned (not saying it caused your symptoms, but can and will certainly)

Hope you feel better soon!

Tosslehoff
02-14-17, 08:02 PM
Well, I saw the doctor, he's not buying the ativan withdrawal story.
Told me I have some kind of virus, and ordered blood cultures.
If that's true, it'd be a load of relief
But he's also in the same appointment told me I probably had a recurrence of appendicitis.
So.. left-sided appendicitis?

That.. went away after starting on Ativan?

sarahsweets
02-15-17, 05:02 AM
Well, I saw the doctor, he's not buying the ativan withdrawal story.
Told me I have some kind of virus, and ordered blood cultures.
If that's true, it'd be a load of relief
But he's also in the same appointment told me I probably had a recurrence of appendicitis.
So.. left-sided appendicitis?

That.. went away after starting on Ativan?

Thats kina what my previous point was. Doctors ignored me and what I was saying about both of my kids so it took a surgeon to look and see. You cant have pain on the left side and still have apendicitis. Google " rumbling apendicitis".

Tosslehoff
02-15-17, 02:38 PM
Thats kina what my previous point was. Doctors ignored me and what I was saying about both of my kids so it took a surgeon to look and see. You cant have pain on the left side and still have apendicitis. Google " rumbling apendicitis".

Yeah, I get what you're saying.
But I'm extremely obsessive. I fixate on a medical disorder, manifest symptoms, and then get relief once a definitive test result proves it's all in my head. The problem with appendicitis, is there is no definitive test aside from CT with Contrast (if the appendix fills with contrast, it can't be obstructed)

The point is that, now that I've managed to move ON from the appendix-related health anxiety, it's going to take a textbook recurrence to have me thinking it's that.

My current symptoms are: Minor, relenting, spasmodic pain in random areas of my belly. Feels surface level - related to abdominal muscles, not organs. No tenderness.
Pain is a 1/10 on my pain scale (1 being a needle, 10 being disemboweled by a train)

However, the first round of my bloodwork results ARE in. I've got leukocytosis, but it's so minor that I think it's stress related.
Once the C-Reactive Protein value comes in, we'll know a bit more definitively whether I'm dealing with a systemic response to an infection, or a simple anxiety complex.

To give you an example of my obsessive nature
When I was 14, I noticed vitreous floaters in my eyes. Not knowing what these were, I concluded my retinas were detaching. I spent 2 weeks with random flashing in the corners of my eyes, seeing webs in my peripheral vision, all very clear cut signs of retina detachment. Then, I had an optical mapping done. I could look at a picture, and see my retinas were fine.
From that point, my symptoms immediately faded.

Another example; When I was 18, I quit taking Concerta for the first time. I'd been on this medication for 12 years, so I had no idea how my body was supposed to function normally. I thought my 'thirst' response was nausea, and was drinking every time I felt nauseated. This resulted in prolonged polyuria, after which I concluded I had kidney failure.
Then I started experiencing symptoms of kidney failure. They got worse, and worse, until I saw the test results showing my Glomerular Filtration Rate and Creatinine Clearance were better than average, and ALL symptoms faded.

I have serious psychiatric illness - Autism. I don't like to think that's why I do these things, but it's a fitting explanation.

Tosslehoff
02-15-17, 03:35 PM
Er.. to clarify, I thought my hunger response was thirst. So I drank every time I felt hungry, lost 100lb in 3 months, and thought I had kidney failure.

There are medications to help me with this, but the last time I took one, I stopped caring. Got an ingrown toenail, became infected, I gave zero ****s. Went gangrenous, took EIGHT open surgeries to repair my toe.
So I choose perpetual fear.

sarahsweets
02-15-17, 06:35 PM

Correction: I meant to say you CAN have pain on the left and still have appendicitis.

Tosslehoff
02-15-17, 08:18 PM
Correction: I meant to say you CAN have pain on the left and still have appendicitis.

Aye, I'm aware of that. The first sign I truly had appendicitis was my rectum and leftmost colon becoming acutely inflamed. It hurt to move, but it was limited to the left. That lasted a week, then I was struck with classic appendicitis symptoms - major navel pain which radiates then migrates to the lower right.

But this is nothing like that.
On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a pin prick and 10 being appendicitis pain, this is a 3.

Cyllya
02-16-17, 01:16 AM
The withdrawal effects of amphetamine don't get a lot of attention since they're usually aren't as horrible or long-lasting as a lot of other medications. (To make it worse, since these kinds of drugs are so short acting, withdrawal effects often get mixed up with active effects.)

I did find this on Wikipedia, regarding doses that are presumably much higher than what you're taking: "This review noted that withdrawal symptoms in chronic, high-dose users are frequent, occurring in up to 87.6% of cases, and persist for three to four weeks with a marked 'crash' phase occurring during the first week. Amphetamine withdrawal symptoms can include anxiety, drug craving, depressed mood, fatigue, increased appetite, increased movement or decreased movement, lack of motivation, sleeplessness or sleepiness, and lucid dreams. The review indicated that the severity of withdrawal symptoms is positively correlated with the age of the individual and the extent of their dependence. Manufacturer prescribing information does not indicate the presence of withdrawal symptoms following discontinuation of amphetamine use after an extended period at therapeutic doses."

I'm starting to wonder if I'm experiencing some form of psychotic depression. I hadn't just stopped eating.. I had stopped engaging in ALL pleasurable activities. I was just setting vegetative in my chair all day crying and stricken down by fear.

I think it's pretty common for amphetamine withdrawal to cause depression, although usually milder than this. Sitting around, not wanting to do anything? Yes. Spending oodles of time vegging out on some mildly boring low-effort activity in order to stave off more severe boredom of doing nothing? Heck yes. Psychotic, crying all day, or stricken with fear? Not so common.

I think this is likely. Plus, it's common to get more side effects when restarting a drug after a period of not taking, so the way you were flip-flopping with both the amphetamine and lorazepam seems like a recipe for trouble. (Granted, I'm guessing most people would have less trouble than this. Different people get different effects from both individual drugs and interactions, and I suspect you might've gotten particularly unlucky with this combo. Also unlucky to have that health-related anxiety disorder [?] that causes horrible psychosomatic symptoms.) The upside is that if you wanted to use Dexedrine again in the future, it would probably be okay to do so.

It's good that the doctors are checking for physical problems too though.

Hope you feel better soon.

Tosslehoff
02-16-17, 04:49 AM
The withdrawal effects of amphetamine don't get a lot of attention since they're usually aren't as horrible or long-lasting as a lot of other medications. (To make it worse, since these kinds of drugs are so short acting, withdrawal effects often get mixed up with active effects.)

I did find this on Wikipedia, regarding doses that are presumably much higher than what you're taking: "This review noted that withdrawal symptoms in chronic, high-dose users are frequent, occurring in up to 87.6% of cases, and persist for three to four weeks with a marked 'crash' phase occurring during the first week. Amphetamine withdrawal symptoms can include anxiety, drug craving, depressed mood, fatigue, increased appetite, increased movement or decreased movement, lack of motivation, sleeplessness or sleepiness, and lucid dreams. The review indicated that the severity of withdrawal symptoms is positively correlated with the age of the individual and the extent of their dependence. Manufacturer prescribing information does not indicate the presence of withdrawal symptoms following discontinuation of amphetamine use after an extended period at therapeutic doses."

I think it's pretty common for amphetamine withdrawal to cause depression, although usually milder than this. Sitting around, not wanting to do anything? Yes. Spending oodles of time vegging out on some mildly boring low-effort activity in order to stave off more severe boredom of doing nothing? Heck yes. Psychotic, crying all day, or stricken with fear? Not so common.

I think this is likely. Plus, it's common to get more side effects when restarting a drug after a period of not taking, so the way you were flip-flopping with both the amphetamine and lorazepam seems like a recipe for trouble. (Granted, I'm guessing most people would have less trouble than this. Different people get different effects from both individual drugs and interactions, and I suspect you might've gotten particularly unlucky with this combo. Also unlucky to have that health-related anxiety disorder [?] that causes horrible psychosomatic symptoms.) The upside is that if you wanted to use Dexedrine again in the future, it would probably be okay to do so.

It's good that the doctors are checking for physical problems too though.

Hope you feel better soon.

Really appreciate the response.
I was clinically diagnosed with Autism at age 11, so there's a good chance my 'anxiety-related health disorder(?)" is just another component of this.

I do like this bit, "Manufacturer prescribing information does not indicate the presence of withdrawal symptoms following discontinuation of amphetamine use after an extended period at therapeutic doses"

Not clinically significant withdrawal symptoms, but they're definitely there. I even experienced it with concerta. It just seems rational to me - if you take something, and there are effects, should not a rebound with opposing effects follow when you discontinue?

Tosslehoff
02-17-17, 12:53 AM
For anyone who was interested, I've got the rest of my bloodwork in.
Couple things out of range, but nothing really so severe as to indicate acute infection and need for urgent treatment.

Here's an interesting bit maybe some of you know something about - C reactive protein count.

C Reactive Protein
8.4 2017-02-16 <---- value after events mentioned in thread.
5.9 2017-01-19 <---- onset of acute anxiety. cleared by ultrasound, ativan.
9.0 2016-09-07 <---- complaints of RLQ pain, bloodwork clear, except this.
5.2 2016-06-07 <----2 week followup. CT scan. All abnormalities resolved
4.3 2016-05-24 <---- 5 day followup, by now all other vitals are normal
104 2016-05-19 <---- appendicitis diagnosed. antibiotic treatment started

I know this is purely speculative. I'm not looking for medical advice.
Just any ideas what could cause CRP values like this yet not be an acute condition?

For reference
1 mg/dl - Low risk of cardiovascular disease
1-2.9 mg/dl - Intermediate Risk
>3 mg/dl - High Risk
Values exceeding >7 are suggestive of active inflammation.

cobain67
02-17-17, 02:04 AM
The fact that CRP is an inflammatory response to me points to possibly stress (anxiety) causing this or contributing... Or it could be something else

For anyone who was interested, I've got the rest of my bloodwork in.
Couple things out of range, but nothing really so severe as to indicate acute infection and need for urgent treatment.

Here's an interesting bit maybe some of you know something about - C reactive protein count.

C Reactive Protein
8.4 2017-02-16 <---- value after events mentioned in thread.
5.9 2017-01-19 <---- onset of acute anxiety. cleared by ultrasound, ativan.
9.0 2016-09-07 <---- complaints of RLQ pain, bloodwork clear, except this.
5.2 2016-06-07 <----2 week followup. CT scan. All abnormalities resolved
4.3 2016-05-24 <---- 5 day followup, by now all other vitals are normal
104 2016-05-19 <---- appendicitis diagnosed. antibiotic treatment started

I know this is purely speculative. I'm not looking for medical advice.
Just any ideas what could cause CRP values like this yet not be an acute condition?

For reference
1 mg/dl - Low risk of cardiovascular disease
1-2.9 mg/dl - Intermediate Risk
>3 mg/dl - High Risk
Values exceeding >7 are suggestive of active inflammation.

Tosslehoff
02-17-17, 02:38 AM
The fact that CRP is an inflammatory response to me points to possibly stress (anxiety) causing this or contributing... Or it could be something else

I get what you're saying. The immune system (amongst everything else) is impacted when one is significantly stressed.
Back for that september test, I wasn't actually anxious at all.
It's been the 5 months since of not knowing and running in circles that broke me and brought my acute anxiety back.

I mean.. couldn't a doctor help with the somatoform issues? If he thought I had anxiety-induced IBS, couldn't anti-spasmodics help? Somatoform doesn't mean imaginary! It's real symptoms, real distress.

****, I should probably move this to an anxiety forum at this point, lol.

Thanks.

Tosslehoff
03-04-17, 02:49 PM
Just a followup for any who cared - I do have appendicitis. Saw a minimally invasive surgery specialist who was appalled that my Appendix wasn't taken out after the antibiotics worked.
He's ordered CT scans and plans to operate on me within the month.

He tells me it's a rare type of subclinical appendicitis that is very controversial, but nonetheless exists, and I clearly have it. He says my obstruction is partial, meaning my appendix starts the appendicitis process, but before the appendix itself can become acutely involved, the pressure inside of it overcomes the partial blockage and my symptoms spontaneously resolve. But it will eventually result in another acute appendicitis episode if not removed promptly.

cobain67
03-04-17, 02:59 PM
Just a followup for any who cared - I do have appendicitis. Saw a minimally invasive surgery specialist who was appalled that my Appendix wasn't taken out after the antibiotics worked.

He tells me it's a rare type of subclinical appendicitis that is very controversial, but nonetheless exists, and I clearly have it. He says my obstruction is partial, meaning my appendix starts the appendicitis process, but before the appendix itself can become acutely involved, the pressure inside of it overcomes the partial blockage and my symptoms spontaneously resolve. But it will eventually result in another acute appendicitis episode if not removed promptly.

Glad you've gotten some answers. How are you feeling off the dex?

sarahsweets
03-06-17, 05:41 AM

Is it wrong to say i am glad that it was? Only because what you shared sounded exactly what my kids went through when theirs was not easily diagnosed. What a relief for you.

Tosslehoff
03-08-17, 03:06 AM
Is it wrong to say i am glad that it was? Only because what you shared sounded exactly what my kids went through when theirs was not easily diagnosed. What a relief for you.

I'd take an acute and easily remediable condition over benzo and stim withdrawal any day!

Glad you've gotten some answers. How are you feeling off the dex?

Honestly, me and my psychiatrist agreed that given the new revelations, and given that I was grasping for straws quitting dexedrine to see if it alleviated my symptoms, that it was best to stay on it.
But we did cut my dose in half from what it was.
Feels better being on an SSRI in conjunction this time around though. Dexedrine has a way of slowly driving me mad.

Tosslehoff
03-09-17, 07:19 PM
Saw my GP, asked if it was reasonable to take a course of antibiotics as a preventative because of the rate the pain is escalating at.

He tells me no, that there's no infection, and prescribes me tramadol.
**** me, guys. Someone help me find a new doctor!

dvdnvwls
03-10-17, 02:25 AM
I don't understand - what would be the point of antibiotics if there's no infection? Or do you think there IS infection but it isn't being found?