View Full Version : Strattera cost

thatsnotmyname
02-15-17, 10:30 AM
I am finishing up my 30 day sample pack of Strattera, with minimal improvements. I went to CVS to buy my first prescription of Strattera, and the lady asked my if I knew how much it cost.... Red flag, I said no... do I want to know? After my insurance, it would cost me $461 for 30 days! Umm ok no thank you.

Does my insurance suck, or is this normal? I'm not getting $461 worth of benefits, has anyone else come across this?

20thcenturyfox
02-15-17, 01:01 PM
I have seen a few threads on the astronomical cost of Strattera in the US. Apparently there is no generic version there yet either (though someone posted that patent protection ends in May 2017.)

I thought Strattera was expensive at about $175/mo in Canada; however I'm now on a generic atomoxitine which runs around $65/mo USD equivalent.

In my case I did not do well on Strattera alone, but when combined with Vyvanse or Adderall, it has made a significant improvement in my ability to initiate, focus and persist.

sarahsweets
02-15-17, 01:53 PM
Check out goodrx.com alot of people have gotten good prices with their discount card.

thatsnotmyname
02-15-17, 04:59 PM
Thank you for the info. My Doc said he can switch me to Adderall and see how I do on that, the cost is night and day.

jman05
03-04-17, 01:17 PM
Pharmaceutical executives should be in prison for what they charge for medications. Basically robbing people who have to take medication.

John E
03-20-17, 01:54 PM
I've been taking Strattera for about 13 years. What started out as an $80 prescription has skyrocketed to $350+. Most of those gains have happened in the past year or two as Lilly is facing the end of it's patent protection, they've jacked up the price to maximize returns. They realize that anyone uninsured is not going to purchase this stuff. So they are using the limited time to gauge insurance companies to the maximum.

I realize that Lily's patent protection expires in May, but have not heard any news about existing competitors moving to enter the US market. Without competitors, Lilly will continue to gauge. Has anyone heard anything?

namazu
03-20-17, 04:50 PM
I realize that Lily's patent protection expires in May, but have not heard any news about existing competitors moving to enter the US market. Without competitors, Lilly will continue to gauge. Has anyone heard anything?
I just checked the FDA drug approval database (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/daf/index.cfm), and it looks like 7 or 8 different companies have received "tentative approval" to produce generic atomoxetine. A lot of these were dated 2012, which may have been prior to a patent extension [?].

No guarantee that they'll all follow through, and not an immediate help to people who need to fill a prescription this month. Still, it looks like there may be options in the pipeline, which will (hopefully) be good news for people seeking less-expensive alternatives to the brand-name stuff.

Meanwhile, I second the recommendation to check out goodrx.com for drug prices in your area. It might also be worthwhile to look into the Lilly patient assistance program (http://lillycares.com/), which may be able to help out with costs if you don't have insurance or your insurance doesn't cover the cost of your medication.

jman05
03-20-17, 09:28 PM
I've been taking Strattera for about 13 years. What started out as an $80 prescription has skyrocketed to $350+. Most of those gains have happened in the past year or two as Lilly is facing the end of it's patent protection, they've jacked up the price to maximize returns. They realize that anyone uninsured is not going to purchase this stuff. So they are using the limited time to gauge insurance companies to the maximum.

Yeah right. $400 a month for something that should cost $30 and no competitors? There will be generics.

talyondrake
03-25-17, 12:25 PM
Yeah, after insurance mine is $441.29 for a 30 day supply. I went to voucher.strattera.com and got a coupon that gets you the first month free and up to $75 off after that. The first month is nice, however I can't afford the Strattera and rent each month. I hope there is a generic cpming out in may. I may ask my Dr if there is a way i can get another starter pack for April until the generic comes out.