View Full Version : Son sucks fingers and picks nose!

tamelao
02-15-17, 05:05 PM
Hello,

My son is 9 and ADHD-PI. He is on 35mg of Dexadrine SR per day and it works well. He has been on every ADHD med out there and this one has worked the best. He has been sucking on his fingers and picking his nose obsessively for about a year since being on it. He has been in OT for it and to no avail. We have had him tested for everything under the sun and his diagnosis is the same ADHD-PI, some general anxiety and impulsivity. The doctors are wanting to try some anxiety medications but we we tried Zoloft, he started having dark thoughts. I should also state that he picks and sucks off his meds as well.

Well fast forward to today, we received an email from his teacher stated students are asking to be moved because of the sucking and picking and now I am alarmed. Does anyone have any suggestions on something else to try. I am open to another medication.

Caco3girl
02-16-17, 10:02 AM
Some people have compulsions that just are what they are....I have no experience with this kind of compulsion so I'm sorry if I am saying something stupid, BUT, have you tried making him wear a glove so he can't get to his nose?

tamelao
02-16-17, 01:37 PM
Thank you for responding. Yes, he actually wears gloves daily for class. :(

sarahsweets
02-16-17, 02:33 PM
Hello,

My son is 9 and ADHD-PI. He is on 35mg of Dexadrine SR per day and it works well. He has been on every ADHD med out there and this one has worked the best. He has been sucking on his fingers and picking his nose obsessively for about a year since being on it. He has been in OT for it and to no avail. We have had him tested for everything under the sun and his diagnosis is the same ADHD-PI, some general anxiety and impulsivity. The doctors are wanting to try some anxiety medications but we we tried Zoloft, he started having dark thoughts. I should also state that he picks and sucks off his meds as well.

Well fast forward to today, we received an email from his teacher stated students are asking to be moved because of the sucking and picking and now I am alarmed. Does anyone have any suggestions on something else to try. I am open to another medication.
Has been evaluated for tourettes, autism, OCD or anything like that? I ask because it almost reminds me of a tic- some kids tic in non-traditional ways. My son developed a throat clearing tic in 4th grade. He started clonidine at night and it solved the issue.

tamelao
02-17-17, 10:45 PM
Thank you Sarah for responding! You may be on to something! I have an appointment this coming Tuesday and will bring this up! He used to take clonodine for sleep and it worked well but it was a very low dose of it. Like .1 mg.

TygerSan
02-18-17, 08:40 AM
He may need something to chew or suck on in order to stay calm and focused. Sensory issues are a challenge.

There are necklaces made for kids (and adults!) who like to chew. Chewy tubes is one such brand but there are others including those made to look like a pendant.

Tiffanylim
03-23-17, 06:07 AM
You may wish to consider getting a fidget toy. It is apparently pretty effective in helping to reduce fidgeting for ADHD children.

Can take a look at this article by Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jplafke/2016/12/23/fidget-spinners-are-the-must-have-office-toy-for-2017/print/

I do see alot of Amazon selling this fidget toy.

Caco3girl
03-23-17, 02:53 PM
My kids have the "Tangle Jr. Brain Tools Combo Pack".

Saw a girl in a store yesterday with the "Toplay Fidget Spinner".

sarahsweets
03-24-17, 03:36 AM
My daughter just bought a "knock off " fidget from amazon for 12 bucks. I cant link here as thats promotion but if anyone wants to know which one or what one, send me a pm.

Caco3girl
03-24-17, 08:30 AM
My daughter just bought a "knock off " fidget from amazon for 12 bucks. I cant link here as thats promotion but if anyone wants to know which one or what one, send me a pm.

Yeah the tangle thing I posted above was a three pack of fidget knock offs for $10! My kids LOVE them!