View Full Version : New chapter, new diagnosis - Coming clean

foreverwarrior
02-15-17, 05:31 PM
It's been a wild ride over the last year and a half, and I've used these boards regularly and learned SO much from them. Aside from talking with people like myself taking the same meds I was, its just helpful to get input from others with experience as consumers with medication (especially for ADHD). The forum talk has been invaluable.

I've had a ton of neurological and physical issues for about two years, some related to injuries in the military, and others I cant explain. I went on the neverending quest (that turns into a Chris Nolan) movie - to figure out what was wrong with me, when nothing made sense, and rolled a doughnut every time. Looking back, I get why I looked for answers everywhere - and I'm OK with that. I do have ADHD, or did - and the medication gave me the ability to focus and communicate with people (especially family) in ways I never thought possible. Over time, it stopped working, slowly. I had no idea why, nor did my doctors. I was less than honest with them until a few months ago about it - because they DID keep working to an extent, I just had to take more. I took more than I was prescribed, ran out early a few times, and its a crappy thing to have done (deliberately). I told my doctors about these a few months ago and just laid it all on the table (i wont go into details, but the meds werent making me feel "good" or high, but causing me to get a better mental and physical baseline that was declining steadily). No answers as to why I had tremor, or stiff muscles, or trouble thinking (worse than normal)? I took MORE and it worked. While I was a candidate for tolerance, maybe, my neuro was patient enough to listen to me and compassionate enough to stick with me especially with my diagnosis. I was recently diagnosed with Parksinsons (Young Onset), at 28. Through the PTSD and ADHD, surgeries from military injury, ups and downs we all have with treatment, and everything else - this one snuck up on me. It's quite a kick in the balls hearing you have PD, especially at my age I think, but - I'm workin on it. :)

I just wanted to share some thoughts. To anyone, and I know there are plenty like me out there (not with PD, just in the cycle of "overthinking whats wrong with me ill google it and try this"), try to slow down a bit and enjoy things that are even the most simple. The wild goose chase for the ailment can often turn into a snipe hunt. I guess I should finish by saying i am NOT encouraging anyone to stop seeing a doctor or asking questions if they feel off, or sick. I'm just saying sometimes its OK to have a few minutes of not being OK - thinking about it now, you can then do OK in said moments. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the help all - I've learned a lot, and I have a hell of a road ahead. I'll be posting soon about some med options I've been given and asking for input. I've opted out of the usual L-DOPA treatment due to my response to the drug, so its going to be a weird approach.

Cheers ;)

:thankyou:

C15H25N3O
02-16-17, 04:43 PM
What stimulants did you take?

Check out youtube to see the positive effects of medical cannabis on parkinsons tremor.

It is amazing.

foreverwarrior
04-17-17, 07:01 PM
What stimulants did you take?

Check out youtube to see the positive effects of medical cannabis on parkinsons tremor.

It is amazing.

Sorry for the delay. My doctor and I tried several over the years. Started with Adderall and it was horrible, so then Vyvanse. Vyvanse + a dex IR booster worked great for a while, then back to adderall due to insurance being picky. Also have tried Adderall XR, methylphenidate IR, and dex spansules.

Currently taking L-Dopa, Droxidopa, and actually a small dose of Adderall IR (usually 10mg twice daily) when the dopa drugs are working properly. Parkinsons is a juggling act when it comes to meds (and life in general) - So for now this seems to be helping alot (alot-ish).