View Full Version : Most effective treatment for teenager ADHD-PI

Kellilpowell
02-15-17, 07:22 PM
My 14 yr old was on Adderall for 2 years with no issues and then everything changed with puberty. For the last year she had experienced mood swings, anger issues, depression, sores all over her face... I took her off of adderall over Christmas break and she has returned to her normal sweet self and her face has cleared. However, her grades are tanking. I can't put her back on Adderall... what works best for the PI kids with the fewest side effects?

Jeftheginger
02-15-17, 10:19 PM
For me ( I am a kid) it is concerta that works well
With little side affects.

sarahsweets
02-16-17, 05:51 AM
Kellie- I have three kids all with adhd. My son began meds when he was 4 and took them all the way up until age 16 when he decided not to take them anymore. My daughter took meds from 4th-8th grade on and off and wasnt able to deal with the mood issues like your daughter's and decided she didnt want to suffer anymore. My youngest is 13 and could never tolerate meds, they always gave her mood issues. Some kids are really sensitve to stimulants. Believe me, the change in my son was amazing, there is sticky about it in children's diagnosis and I really wish my kids could handle medication because I think it could help them the way it helps me. They are their own people though and I am not the parent who is overbearing and forces meds on them so we are constantly working on behavior modifications and I learned to pick my battles when it comes to rules and teenage obstinence.

Fraser_0762
02-16-17, 06:52 AM
Have you tried experimenting with a lower dosage? If that doesn't work, try switching her to something like Dexedrine, which is generally considered easier to tolerate over Adderall in most cases.

CrazyLazyGal
02-23-17, 05:10 AM
Have you tried Vyvanse?