View Full Version : ADHDPI, Worries about performance at college and future job prospects

ToInfinity
02-16-17, 09:10 AM
My ADHD is PI so I'm slow at processing things and am a slow learner. I'm not sure if I can maintain college. Because I'm a slow learner, I suck at team work and jobs nowadays consist of working as a team. I slow the team down. Every college degrees are practically team work. It makes me worry about future job prospects.

GoalieMel33
02-16-17, 10:01 AM
Are you on medication and do you have accommodations at school? If not, it might be worth it to look into these options. A special ed counsellor can help you with learning strategies, organizational tips, etc as well.

While ADHD might make it harder to perform academically, we can thrive in an environment with facilitating factors. One of the key I think is to learn what your strengths and weaknesses are as a student.

The way you learn too (visual, auditive, kinesthesic). Once you know these things, it's easier to use them to your advantage, adapt to your difficulties. Because you are still a contribution to the team and you have areas where you are better, aim for that. Find a career that fits your personnality and your abilities.

Consulting a career counselor might help you in determining it. And there is help once you get out of college, a lot of organizations (mostly community) that assist in employment for people with all kinds of struggles. Don't hesitate to use those ressources.

ToInfinity
02-16-17, 10:22 AM
I understand but I've seen the special ed counsellor and there's no adjustment that they can do with regards to working in teams. If individual then it's easier like I can get extensions.

Knowing strengths and how I learn is a great idea, great tip. But it's not adequate enough to address issues with working in teams.

GoalieMel33
02-16-17, 06:55 PM
What do you struggle with when it comes to working in a team? Is it like you mentioned that learning some concepts takes longer for you or is it more related to other aspects like communication/social, organization, how teammates react to your difficulties, etc?

If you can, it'd be better to pair yourself up with students who you get along with and that you know are organized. If a problem comes up, they are more likely to be able to assist you and explain the subject. If you trust them enough, maybe you could share with them a little bit about things that are harder for you.

Always ask support if needed whether from your team or professor to stay on top of things when it comes to course material knowledge. When directions are clear it's easier to work as a team.

Working in group projects was also a challenge for me, even though it was for different reasons. People found it frustrating because sometimes I didn't communicate enough with follow-ups and I was also a procrastinator. So teammates who were more task -oriented would freak out waiting for my last minute work. I didn't do it on purpose of course, but to compensate I always made sure that my part was flawless and on time.

As a member, I was more of a lone wolf, so my way to contribute was to put my ''expertise'' in practice. I wasn't the leader, or the person who spoke much during meetings and that's fine. I did corrections and most similar stuff because that's what I was great at.

There are a lot of ways to help the team, maybe you excel with powerpoints/schemes/artistic things, coming up with a lot of ideas, having contacts or experience in the field, etc.

Maybe reading on something is a piece of cake to you but not as natural for putting it into words or writing. Talk to your team, there are chances they will be open to hear you on how you all divide work if you tell them how you can participate.

It doesn't always have to be theorically. Or ask for more time where you can work on your own and review what has been done while you keep them updated. Compromises can me made, they are more likely to accept if they get the point of a request/situation.

sarahsweets
02-17-17, 05:07 AM
I wonder if an accommodation could be that you receive assistance from the teacher while working on a team?

MickeMouseFan
02-21-17, 08:57 PM
Be prepared to study twice or three times as much as "normal" people. The likely result is burnout, not having much of a social life, and not being able to work whilst studying.

OTmg90
03-01-17, 09:54 AM
I agree, I was recently diagnosed with Add Pi, I only work 5hrs max per week, but I sleep 6 hours a night, studying about 8 hours per day/7 days a week and I volunteer once a month. I see my close friends about once every 2 months and practically stop exercising eventhough I know exercise might help. The fact is it take about 1 hour out of my day which is too much in 1 sitting. My breaks are from 5 mins to 30 mins throughout the day.

I'm studying because I thought it might help me land a job. This is because I've been fired from 4 of the last 7 jobs I've had. Funnily enough I'm studying O.T. I am not on meds as I can't afford it atm but, I schedule, plan, organise, follow my own rules to create long term habits. So far so good. Only little mistakes nothing major :) studies for me are easier than work as I don't need social skills for now and I can pretend to be friendly for our VIVA exams.

Real life though, I'm very socially awkward.... Opposite to charming.

Good luck, work to your strengths. Find a routine. Plan, organise and build your supports (resources), find a mentor.

All the best!
-OTmg90