View Full Version : Methylphenidate CD 30 mg and my son

Cactuscholla
02-16-17, 07:00 PM
My son is almost 8 years old in 2nd grade. He has had an ADHD diagnosis since 5. I think he has some coexisting conditions but wanted to focus on the ADHD for this question. So after a terrible kindergarten 1st half, he got put on methylphenidate 10 mg 2 times a day. There was a incredible change for the better for all of kindergarten and first grade at school. This school year he has gotten suspended and some more disciplinary forms. We could track his behavior daily since he has a sheet that comes home. His behaviors were getting worse so he got on 20 mg methylphenidate CD. That didnt seem to work so we upped to 30 mg. The strange thing is he had a good week at school on it. The following week was absolutely terrible. One day though it seemed to work great until 12:30. The next day it seemed to not work at all. Now the Dr wants to try 40 mg. My husband is concerned about upping the dose. I'm ok with it but just skeptical about this particular medication based on it's inconsistencies. We don't know what to do and wonder what we should even do

sarahsweets
02-16-17, 10:33 PM
Why not try another med?n Why is his doctor so hell bent on ritalin?

Jeftheginger
02-17-17, 01:24 AM

Probably because it worked for him for a wile.
It is not uncommon to have a diminished affect of drugs over time. This is your body resisting and adapting to the circumstance.
But I would check if your kid Is actually taking his meds.
I refused to take mine for a wile when I was about his age.

Cactuscholla
02-17-17, 02:27 AM

Thanks. I'm not sure. I know that something like guanfacine wouldn't work on him at least. Good question though

sarahsweets
02-17-17, 05:13 AM
Probably because it worked for him for a wile.
It is not uncommon to have a diminished affect of drugs over time. This is your body resisting and adapting to the circumstance.
But I would check if your kid Is actually taking his meds.
I refused to take mine for a wile when I was about his age.

Right but the op said:

This school year he has gotten suspended and some more disciplinary forms. We could track his behavior daily since he has a sheet that comes home. His behaviors were getting worse so he got on 20 mg methylphenidate CD. That didnt seem to work so we upped to 30 mg. The strange thing is he had a good week at school on it. The following week was absolutely terrible. One day though it seemed to work great until 12:30. The next day it seemed to not work at all. Now the Dr wants to try 40 mg. My husband is concerned about upping the dose. I'm ok with it but just skeptical about this particular medication based on it's inconsistencies. We don't know what to do and wonder what we should even do
So if I understand correctly, the child did well for the second half of kindergarten and has gone through almost 3 dose changes with the same medication. That doesnt seem like the med worked well or very long . Thats why I dont understand why the doctor didnt try a new med but instead keeps increasing this one.

Cactuscholla
02-17-17, 07:52 PM
We tried 40 mg of this drug and I am going to try and be cautiously hopeful as the school day was pretty great. I always love 3 day weekends to observe the med effects myself and that's what we have.

CrazyLazyGal
02-23-17, 05:32 AM
It sounds like he'd be better trying another medication rather than keep increasing the dose. 40mg is pretty high.

Brighterdays4u
02-23-17, 07:16 PM
I totally understand your situation. Been there before. My son was diagnosised at 5. We have been on some crazy meds over the last 5 years. About 3 months ago we tried a natural supplement. It has really changed things for my son and us. I have never believed in a natural supplement before until I talked to our pediatrician. He said it was safe and why not try it. He had seen crazy stuff help families. I started seeing signs of improvement pretty quick and so did teachers. Because of my experience with this supplement I have become a brand partner as of last week. Feel free to contact me too. I am always willing to tell my experience. My goal is to reach out to as many parents like me and tell them about this. Its another option for us and I hope it works for them like it has us.