View Full Version : Best Medication for Energy Issues

waterv1
02-17-17, 06:58 PM
Hi there. I don't exactly have ADD, but I have extreme brain fog and concentration issues due to a lack of mental energy because of a chronic illness. In December, I was prescribed 30mg of Vyvanse by my doctor for mental energy. Before Vyvanse, I was sometimes unable to watch TV, or walk up the stairs. Everything felt impossible. With Vyvanse, I immediately got a job and was able to draw a little bit, and my bowling scores (my weekly activity) went from 60s to 100s. The usual aches in my legs disappear, and I feel happy and am able to do my job. While I'm on it, I can walk pretty far as long as I sit down for breaks. I take two 20mg on workdays and 30mg on regular days. I'm still very tired and can't do as much as i'd like, but it honestly changed my life.

However, I'm still exhausted. Even when I'm at my peak of 40mg, I'm still yawning and sleepy, no matter how much sleep I got the night before. I feel like it's weird that I'm sleepy while on stimulants. It only lasts about 5 hours instead of the advertised 12. And I realized that while my mental energy is up, my focus is still nonexistent. My job is simple so I can do that, but at home, I literally can't focus on a single thing. I say "i'm going to watch this 10 minute show" and then I waste 5 hours doing god knows what. Since the medication is mainly for concentration, I would have hoped it could at least do that! It also makes me less creative and boring in conversation than I used to be. I know it's usually used to stop racing thoughts, but I need my thoughts jump-started, because I'm usually too exhausted to even think. The brain fog is still extremely bad, even when on it. I feel dissociated 90% of the time. I've also lost 15 pounds, but that doesn't really bother me.

My question is, what medication beside Vyvanse do you think would suit my needs? Or, do I need a higher dosage? And how do different medications fare in terms of effect? (ex: i've heard people say vyvanse gives a quiet focus, and adderall makes you more energetic) I'm going to see my doctor next week, but I'd like some second opinions.

Sorry if this is something that's posted about a lot, i've never really used a forum! I just needed some specific advice I use stimulants for energy, not ADD. Thank you!

Fraser_0762
02-17-17, 07:31 PM
I find it really strange that your doctor would prescribe this type of medication for a chronic illness that isn't even related to ADHD. (Assuming your chronic illness isn't Narcolepsy)

Stimulants are only a quick fix for energy issues. Instead your doctor should have spoken to you about the underlining causes of your illness and offered advice and treatment to better target those causes and help to minimize it's impact on your life.

Merely prescribing you stimulants to give you "extra energy" was a really poor choice by your doctor.

waterv1
02-17-17, 07:35 PM
sorry i didn't really provide information about that, i've been given the works in terms of treatment! This medication is just an addition so I'm not lying around miserable for months/years during my recovery. I'll edit my post to reflect that

waterv1
02-17-17, 07:37 PM
whoops, looks like i cant edit after a reply has been posted. sorry, i'm new to this

sarahsweets
02-17-17, 10:33 PM
Hi there. I don't exactly have ADD, but I have extreme brain fog and concentration issues due to a lack of mental energy because of a chronic illness.
What is the illness if you dont mind me asking?

In December, I was prescribed 30mg of Vyvanse by my doctor for mental energy.
So is your illness a mental illness?

However, I'm still exhausted. Even when I'm at my peak of 40mg, I'm still yawning and sleepy, no matter how much sleep I got the night before. I feel like it's weird that I'm sleepy while on stimulants. It only lasts about 5 hours instead of the advertised 12. And I realized that while my mental energy is up, my focus is still nonexistent. My job is simple so I can do that, but at home, I literally can't focus on a single thing. I say "i'm going to watch this 10 minute show" and then I waste 5 hours doing god knows what. Since the medication is mainly for concentration, I would have hoped it could at least do that! It also makes me less creative and boring in conversation than I used to be. I know it's usually used to stop racing thoughts, but I need my thoughts jump-started, because I'm usually too exhausted to even think. The brain fog is still extremely bad, even when on it. I feel dissociated 90% of the time. I've also lost 15 pounds, but that doesn't really bother me.

If your illness involves involuntary fatigue, vyvanse isnt the answer.

My question is, what medication beside Vyvanse do you think would suit my needs? Or, do I need a higher dosage? And how do different medications fare in terms of effect? (ex: i've heard people say vyvanse gives a quiet focus, and adderall makes you more energetic) I'm going to see my doctor next week, but I'd like some second opinions.

Sorry if this is something that's posted about a lot, i've never really used a forum! I just needed some specific advice I use stimulants for energy, not ADD. Thank you!
I feel like I am missing something. What exactly are you treating with the vyvanse? What else are you treating this illness with?

Swissy
02-18-17, 08:27 AM
With the fatigue associated with my type of ADD, aderall helps a lot.

Fuzzy12
02-18-17, 11:11 AM
I think modafinil might be good for alertness amd energy. It's usually prescribed for narcolepsy.

I think it's suite common for stimulants to not last as long as advertised though vyvanse is supposed to be one of the longest acting ones.

waterv1
02-18-17, 01:50 PM
What is the illness if you dont mind me asking?

So is your illness a mental illness?

If your illness involves involuntary fatigue, vyvanse isnt the answer.

I feel like I am missing something. What exactly are you treating with the vyvanse? What else are you treating this illness with?

I'm being treated for Lyme, In addition to physical symptoms like neuropathy and fatigue it causes extreme brain fog and executive functioning issues. I'm being treated with antibotics and a strict diet but it takes quite a while to fully recover. I was diagnosed April 2015 but I've been dealing with it's symptoms since 2013. If I wasn't on Vyvanse I wouldn't be able to work, or draw or read (things I haven't been able to do since 2013). So while it isn't the permanent solution, it's the only thing that's allowing me to function at this point in time. Sorry that I didn't explain it very well in my original post.