View Full Version : Newly Diagnosed - Dexamphetamine doing nothing?

CranialSlurpee
02-18-17, 01:29 AM
I was put on Dexamphetamine 20mg a day 10 days ago. Before I started taking them I had already experienced sleep problems (didn't sleep the night before). After taking them I continued to not sleep for 2 more nights (2 nights is normal for me, but not 3). I have been sleeping my regular amount since then (4-5 hours), and 7 last night. Despite this, I feel fatigued (but can't nap; never could). Initial symptoms were dry mouth, dehydration and no appetite. I already had no appetite before taking them and resumed eating normally after the first 3 days (small, healthy meals). Water consumption is higher than before taking dex, and dry mouth is completely gone. Overall I feel no positive symptoms. I am not more focused, still bored by everything (i.e. all music, activities, movies, games). I have felt ZERO improved mental clarity or motivation. I have been walking every day (never didn't). I'm not sure what else I can try? I'm worried because I have a new course I'm starting on Monday. I haven't even unpacked my room and it's been two days. I bribed a friend to pack it too. Lol. I don't even have hyperfocus. I lost that after the initial first few days when I was reading everything I could on ADD.

Tosslehoff
02-18-17, 02:23 AM
Are you diagnosed ADD?
"Still bored by everything (i.e. all music, activities, movies, games)"
ADD isn't a diagnosis of boredom. It's an inability to focus on any task to completion.
But that can also happen with depression.
Which also tends to make things that you previously enjoyed boring.

You might not be on the right medication?

Do you feel more worried lately? Would you normally care about having not unpacked your room, and bribing a friend to do it? Or is that a type of anxiety that started after the medication? Many need co-treatment with a low dose of something like paxil or celexa to manage the anxiety. When my anxiety is untreated, ADD meds may as well be called OCD pills.

The effects are incredibly pronounced, but it took me years to recognize them. I'd taken the pills since childhood, thinking it had no effect, going about each day as if it were my usual self. Other people would comment on differences, but I figured they were full of it and that it wasn't doing anything for me. Then I stopped taking it, experienced the very mild withdrawal effect (even after 12 years), rebounded to my 'normal' self (and I didn't FEEL any different), and started trying to continue on with activities as normal.
That's when I started feeling physical fatigue when I attempted long-term mental work on a single task. Swap tasks constantly, no fatigue. I could ping pong between **** all day just fine. But extended mental focus (like say, a day of working at the computer on a single task. no physical exertion) would result in this mind-body physical fatigue, and I'd need to just vegetate on the couch for hours to recover. I didn't realize it was ADD for a while, thinking I was just broken mentally (partially because of a diagnosis of autism,) But after about 5 years I started the Dexedrine. Now I can really tell the benefits.

If you seen my other thread, im currently cold-turkeying off of dexedrine (and having some major issues, but exacerbated to a significant extent by recent health woes). I do plan to continue with Concerta after this fiasco is behind me.

CranialSlurpee
02-18-17, 04:17 AM
Yes, I'm diagnosed. Only two weeks ago. I'm anti self dx. I am also diagnosed with BPD. I'm sure plays a part in why this **** isn't helping. Honestly I think I found out too late. After trying and failing so many things (not attending classes, being unable to focus i.e. read, being distracted by other interests, losing interest), I have simply stopped caring. I guess that's depression right there. I went to the psych because I had ceased to care about existing (for years). Friends were making me eat and drink. I wasn't sleeping or showering. It took me three months to move out of where I was. Then I wanted to move again. I made my friend pack because I had left it too late and was exhausted from recklees exercise (I am on pain meds for a rotator cuff injury). I schedule these things (eating, cleaning, etc) but don't do it when the time comes. I usually just play video games but even those don't satisfy me anymore. I can't even finish a film (keep pausing it to google things/zone out and need to replay it). I talk to people but I get irritated because I only want to talk about my interests lol. I used to think I had aspergers but I'm hyperaware of people's facial expressions and tones.

I am typing this in a cinema because I can't concentrate on the damn movie due to everyone making annoying noises. I don't even know what the point to be typing this is. Obviously the meds don't work. My problems have existed before my depression though. That's probably connected to the fact that I'm a joke and my mother died 7 months ago. I got more depressed by the ADD diagnosis since I was thinking about all the times I was physically punished for these symptoms and called lazy as a child and teen. Or how nobody took me seriously when I forgot the subject material right before an exam. Or how I can't read when I'm anxious. So yeah I'm depressed lol. I was hoping the meds would make me high so I could feel like I didn't have ADD. Anyway, my friend thinks I'm more "focused" on the meds and that I'm less "aggressive" when I'm discussing my interests. I hate that because I don't feel any more focused. I feel like I'm still thinking about too much and it's a habit since I don't even care about what I'm thinking about. I'm just wasting time.

Fraser_0762
02-18-17, 08:26 AM
Dexedrine will not help you to sleep any better than before. If you already had insomnia before taking Dexedrine, then Dexedrine would more than likely make that problem worse.

You need something to help you unwind at night, not a stimulant for waking you up.

sarahsweets
02-18-17, 11:57 AM
Yes, I'm diagnosed. Only two weeks ago. I'm anti self dx. I am also diagnosed with BPD.
Do you mean bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder?

I was hoping the meds would make me high so I could feel like I didn't have ADD.

I know you know this isnt the point of meds- its escapism. You have had a lot of pain and do not want to feel it. Considering you are on pain meds you would want to watch out for those too.

There are other meds to try so see your doctor.

CranialSlurpee
02-18-17, 08:54 PM
Do you mean bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder?

Borderline.

I know you know this isnt the point of meds- its escapism. You have had a lot of pain and do not want to feel it. Considering you are on pain meds you would want to watch out for those too.

What I'm saying is that I wanted the doctor to be wrong and for me to not have ADD. If the meds gave me a NT reaction, I could blame the gradual state of decline of my life on depression, which is treatable. But I know my depression is because of my ADD. That's what I feared.

I'm not sure how to multiquote but @Tosslehoff: I read what you wrote properly after I calmed down. Good luck with going cold turkey.

Pilgrim
02-27-17, 06:52 PM
Meds response doesn't necessarily correlate with condition.

Go back to your dr.