View Full Version : So, Adderall XR Probably isn't for me?

PaulCamR
02-18-17, 02:46 AM
The time I've tried Adderall is quite short: about 7 days in total out of a 9 day period. For my next doctor's appointment, my doc is likely to prescribe longer-term what I found works better for me.

I've noticed with Adderall it's making it super easy to focus, but it's tougher to catch time slipping away when I focus on the wrong thing. It takes away all my anxiety, any depression symptoms, all of that (side benefits). ADHD therapeutic targets for focus are improved. But I need 30mg XR to get any DoE and effects out of it (20mg just didn't do much).

Side effects of Adderall:
- I took two break days. One on day 4. One today (9th day in).
- On break days, I feel sluggish, tired, below baseline focus levels. No anxiety increase though. I have concerns that withdrawal will be very bad if I trial it longer (no addictive feelings though).
- Sleep is good when I took my two breaks days. On the days I take Adderall, my sleep is poor (minimum 16 hours after taking Adderall until I can sleep).
- Colder/shrunk junk for about 12-16 hours, libido remains the same.
- Appetite significantly reduced.

While Adderall has been nice, I'm afraid it might not be for me due to the side effects. Do you have any thoughts, inputs, words of wisdom? I'm thinking I will ask my doctor about Biphentin for a longer period of time, since I did not experience the side effects, and the benefits were similar (although Adderall specifically takes my attention off time better, double-edged).

Little Nut
02-18-17, 11:52 AM
Off the top of my head.
-List all ADHD symptoms w/ specifics on degree of improvement if any
-Time frame too short if it was me. I need to wait 2 weeks at least between changes before evaluate.
-Daily log symptoms/side effects. Wait til end of time frame to evaluate. Document and rationale for any changes.
-Keep non ADHD symptom effects under side effects/other.
-Starting at 20mg/d would be too high for me.
-Switching to 30mg/d w/in a couple of days would be way too fast for me to evaluate.
-Which items are you calling side effects.
-Some of those items will likely lessen over a week or 2.

HTH, -LN

PaulCamR
02-18-17, 09:54 PM
Off the top of my head.
-List all ADHD symptoms w/ specifics on degree of improvement if any
-Time frame too short if it was me. I need to wait 2 weeks at least between changes before evaluate.
-Daily log symptoms/side effects. Wait til end of time frame to evaluate. Document and rationale for any changes.
-Keep non ADHD symptom effects under side effects/other.
-Starting at 20mg/d would be too high for me.
-Switching to 30mg/d w/in a couple of days would be way too fast for me to evaluate.
-Which items are you calling side effects.
-Some of those items will likely lessen over a week or 2.

HTH, -LN

Thank you. I will organize, record, and report with these notes in mind.

Do you perhaps have a list of ADHD symptoms to break down? I'm having a lot of difficulty pinpointing things and self-assessing. I categorize myself as ADD-inattentive with low energy, so the most immediate effect is a mood boost and energy levelling (which is why I mentioned those first, but I will categorize non-ADHD symptoms separately). Problem is low energy equates to a difficulty focusing as well, putting some overlap with symptom treatment (energy up, focus up). But when it comes purely to attention improvements (or inattention reduction), effects are much more subtle and difficult to notice. Would it then be best to measure "improvement of focus" based on objective measurements (pages of work completed per hour of doing work, etc)? I find my own subjective records "How much less distracted I feel" are difficult to record accurately.

sarahsweets
02-19-17, 06:20 AM
The time I've tried Adderall is quite short: about 7 days in total out of a 9 day period. For my next doctor's appointment, my doc is likely to prescribe longer-term what I found works better for me.

I've noticed with Adderall it's making it super easy to focus, but it's tougher to catch time slipping away when I focus on the wrong thing. It takes away all my anxiety, any depression symptoms, all of that (side benefits). ADHD therapeutic targets for focus are improved. But I need 30mg XR to get any DoE and effects out of it (20mg just didn't do much).
It doesnt seem like you have given adderall enough time IMO.

Side effects of Adderall:
- I took two break days. One on day 4. One today (9th day in).
- On break days, I feel sluggish, tired, below baseline focus levels. No anxiety increase though. I have concerns that withdrawal will be very bad if I trial it longer (no addictive feelings though).
- Sleep is good when I took my two breaks days. On the days I take Adderall, my sleep is poor (minimum 16 hours after taking Adderall until I can sleep).
- Colder/shrunk junk for about 12-16 hours, libido remains the same.
- Appetite significantly reduced.

I am a little confused. The things you mention dont seem like side effects really. They seem related to the breaks you took. Breaks are not a must with stimulants and in fact, I believe they are unnecessary, at least they are to me.
Low appetite and the smaller junk could be annoying but is it so awful that you have no benefits from the adderall at all? The sleep thing also seems related to the breaks, not actually taking the medication.

While Adderall has been nice, I'm afraid it might not be for me due to the side effects. Do you have any thoughts, inputs, words of wisdom? I'm thinking I will ask my doctor about Biphentin for a longer period of time, since I did not experience the side effects, and the benefits were similar (although Adderall specifically takes my attention off time better, double-edged).
It just doesnt seem to me based on what you shared, that adderall should be ruled out. It seems like a different dose should be tried before giving up.

Little Nut
02-20-17, 04:29 PM
Hey Paul, The person that diagnosed you should have something as it applies to you. You can do searches for ADHD Diagnostic Criteria or ADHD questionnaire.

I want to add that reviewing the criteria may lead you to believe that several of the symptoms apply to you, but really don't or it is minor in its impact. To help with this for each symptom that you think applies, recall and write down a specific time and circumstance where it was an issue for you and include what the impact to you actually was. If it is a biggish problem, you should be able to list multiple occurrences for each that occurred recently. If you want keep a list around for a few weeks and document as they occur. HTH, -LN

Postulate
02-20-17, 09:07 PM
I am a little confused. The things you mention dont seem like side effects really. They seem related to the breaks you took. Breaks are not a must with stimulants and in fact, I believe they are unnecessary, at least they are to me.

Exactly, it's not just your opinion, it's truth. :goodpost:

PaulCamR
02-22-17, 11:14 PM
TL;DR: Not discounting Adderall, but spelling out my uncertainty below. I don't really have a question to ask at this point as I know what to present to my doctor. The post pretty much spells out my thoughts.

Thanks all. I took some time to think on everything.

I'm just confused now about which medication to ask my doctor to prescribe me for a longer trial period (appointment in 2 days). That might sound odd/wrong, so I will briefly elaborate. I will present my doctor with what I have tried, when I tried it, and a summary of my documentation/records of effects. However, my doctor is likely to get down to brass tax and go with whatever I say I felt worked best (assuming there's no issues with any information I share with her that I wouldn't have considered). Thus, my consultation with the doctor may boil down to checking in with her, making sure my decision lines up with what she considers is appropriate, and getting another prescription for a longer trial time. It is possible that she might ask "Why did you feel this type/dose worked better?", and various other questions I can't predict, but the core of things is "What worked for you?"

This leaves me with the question that probably can't be answered: Adderall 20mg, or Biphentin 50mg. This isn't a question of "What will work best for me?", but a question of "What is most likely the best first choice for a longer 30-day trial period to see if it works best for me?".

Today was my last day of Adderall 20mg, as I've run out today.

My trial with Adderall has gone like this:
10mg: Nada.
20mg: I thought nada at first. Then I posted this thread, so I trialed 20mg each day after receiving the advice to go back to 20mg.
30mg: Determined the dosage isn't for me currently. Affects my sleep too much, not sustainable. I want off days, and off-day rebound is bad for me.

At 20mg (February 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd), I noticed the first 3 days worked. DoE was close to correct, ~9 hours.

Except, here's my worry: Today I took Adderall 20mg XR at 2pm, and my focus levels have been very poor. No change in scene, diet, task at hand, sleep, anything. I know one day is certainly not enough to check. One day isn't enough to make any assumptions.

TL;DR *All things considered, I'll present the information, my concerns, what I think, essentially all the stuff addressed in this thread to the doctor.

Little Nut
02-23-17, 01:24 PM
Paul, I reread your posts and I think you are still in the early part of titrating up. (You can do a search on titrating for good explanations of process if still questions.)

Areas you appear to be unsure on;
What does the dose normally do for me?
How well did the current dose regimen do for me?
Do you need to change the dose regimen and if so to what?
Is it time to try a different med?

I'll add my thoughts to each and hope this helps.

What does the dose normally do for me?
I wait 2 weeks after making a change before I assess this. From keeping a log I noted that I needed to stay at a dose for ~2 weeks in most cases until my body stopped adjusting (getting used to, equilibrated...) to the med. OTOH sleep disturbance took about a month until it calmed down enough to evaluate.

How well did the current dose regimen do for me?
To answer this question, I went back to symptoms. The easiest for me to do a gut check on was focus and working memory improvements or lack of improvements.I also logged other symptoms whenever there was evidence of an improvement and the degree of improvement. Also this is a place for side-effects. keeps notes daily, but I waited 2 weeks to do a more overall evaluations.

Do you need to change the dose regimen and if so to what?
My expectation was full treatment for 12 hours w/ acceptable level of side effects. Keep in mind that you can increase the dosage to a point that it is outside the top of your therapeutic range. Hyper Focus, focus gets worse...you'll know.

Along the way you will also find out how long a dose lasts FOR YOU and if using an ER/XR if there are any gaps in treatment. I had a gap w/ XR between 1st dose and 2nd dose kicking in, so I switched to IR. For me, an amphetamines dose would last ~3-3-1/2 hours after taking a dose. So my subsequent doses were initially 3hours apart and later 2-1/2 hours apart.

Is it time to try a different med?
If you find yourself at max acceptable side effect(s) and still have symptoms not fully treated. If you find yourself at max dose and still have symptoms not fully treated. Lately, your insurance carrier changes or your insurer changes their formulary and adds a big cost share for your drug.

GL and Let Me know How it Goes, -LN

PaulCamR
02-24-17, 06:02 PM

I went in today and explained as much as I could in the time I had with the doctor. She offered tips for focus, exercise, etc (stuff I already know, but she was genuinely trying to help).

She asked which I'd prefer, biphentin or adderall. I told her I can't be sure, I just don't know, but I think adderall might be best to try for longer. I told her about the doses I'd tried, when, for how long.

I told her 30 was probably too much, 20 had about the right dose. She asked if 25 might be better, I said I'm not sure it may be. She prescribed 25mg xr, 100 tablets.

I'll be picking up 30 (my script allows me to pick up all 100 at once I think to save on dispensing fees). I'll give 25mg a go for 30 days worth. Something that will be important to me is being able to not take it 1-3 days out of the week.