View Full Version : Is this a typical ADD Problem

addmee
02-18-17, 12:47 PM
Hello!

My Psykiaxxxtran (or whatever its called) told me he thinks i have ADD, and i am waiting to get tested... but i have some issues at work, and would like answer if this i typical ADD, and if there is any tips/Tricks to get back into "Work Mode"? Does medication work for this?

Is it typical for ADD to get annoyed by all the people coming into your office to say hi (I think the word is that they are "Mingleling?")

I feel like i should care about what they are talking about, but i am not able to focus at all, all i can think of is that i get so f**ing stressed of all the people interrupting me when i am trying to focus on completing another task. Everytime it ends with that i looses track of what am doing and have to work hard to get back into "work/Consentration mode".

dvdnvwls
02-18-17, 08:11 PM
Yes, you're right. Interruptions make us lose our thoughts, and it's harder for us to start concentrating again.

I hope you can convince those people to do their mingling somewhere that isn't close to you.

namazu
02-18-17, 10:06 PM
Are they coming to talk about work-related subjects, or just to chat about other things?

Perhaps you could try closing your office door and hanging a "Do Not Disturb" sign, at least part of the time.

If that doesn't keep them out, you could explain that you have an upcoming deadline, or really need to focus right now and can't chat. (It won't help with the fact that you've already been interrupted, but it might help you get less distracted and back to what you were working on more quickly.)

If they are coming to talk about work-related topics, and these discussions are important within your workplace, then the suggestions above -- while still potentially useful in some situations -- may not be as helpful. If so, maybe you could try scheduling them (so they don't interrupt you), or ask politely but firmly to discuss at another time or via e-mail.

Fraser_0762
02-18-17, 10:40 PM
Resenting small talk is a big part of ADD. We fight so hard against distraction that the only time we wish to be distracted is if it's of the utmost importance. If it's just general everyday conversation, we tend to want to limit that as much as possible. Not only is it distracting, but entirely disinteresting.

namazu
02-18-17, 11:57 PM
Resenting small talk is a big part of ADD. We fight so hard against distraction that the only time we wish to be distracted is if it's of the utmost importance. If it's just general everyday conversation, we tend to want to limit that as much as possible. Not only is it distracting, but entirely disinteresting.
"Small talk" may be disinteresting to you, but that's not necessarily true of people with ADHD in general. (I, for one, often enjoy it. ...But that makes it hard to work, and if I'm at work, presumably I'm supposed to be working, not chatting with friends or colleagues about non-work things.)

I think the distractibility problem, and the difficulty in refocusing on work, are probably more typical of people with ADHD than a dislike of small talk. (Distractibility and attention problems are among the diagnostic criteria for ADHD.)

dvdnvwls
02-18-17, 11:57 PM
I love to stand around and talk. I can do that for hours, especially if there's something important I need to do. There are also times when I'm exactly as Fraser described. It depends.

addmee
02-21-17, 01:51 PM
Hello!
Thank you everyone for all the answers.
This is the third time i am writing a answer, 1 and 2 time i did get distracted, and guess what...

I forgot to finish my comment.

Anyway i felt so much comfort in what i got out of all the answers, so i did talk with my boss,
And today i wrote a sign on my door, "i am in a superimportant meeting, do not disturb, call my colleague for help"
And it did work! for 2 hours it was compleetly still around me! And i got alot of work done!

Thanks for all the answers!!

dvdnvwls
02-21-17, 04:54 PM
Just don't keep the "super important meeting" sign up for very long - people will soon realize there's no meeting, and then they'll feel free to ignore the sign.

acdc01
02-22-17, 12:26 AM
Just don't keep the "super important meeting" sign up for very long - people will soon realize there's no meeting, and then they'll feel free to ignore the sign.

Have to agree. It's crying wolf. Just do not disturb sign and telling them you need some uninterrupted time some times to get work done is good enough and it's the truth.

Truths are nearly always better cause sooner or later, lies will be caught.

acdc01
02-22-17, 12:37 AM

Agree with fraser. Although I don't think all of us dislike smalltalk, I would bet a lot more of us dislike it than the average.

We have less patience in suffering things we don't like. If everyone only spoke of subjects we liked, then it would be easy to listen to small talk but I can't remember a single small talk conversation that didn't drift to something I wasn't interested in hence making it difficult for me to listen. And each time I have to suffer through boring small talk, the less I like it.

PresentD
02-22-17, 01:52 AM
In the end I had to disclose to my work that I had ADHD as I just couldn't get any bloody work completed. It's not like I am incapable of the the task in hand, it's just that I'm doing 10 things at once and it becomes so overwhelming. I work in an environment that has 70 people at any-onetime nattering etc, it's like a bomb has gone off in my head. In the end I was allowed the office door closed for long periods of time, I can play music all day long, and the work gets (mostly) completed. You should really try and negotiate with your employer to enable you to do the tasks that you need to do. Good luck 😏

kilted_scotsman
02-22-17, 06:15 AM
There was a management book ..... something about being an effective manager..... one idea was to have a period of time every day where you wouldn't communicate.... so the do not disturb sign is a good idea..... just put a time on it .... something like "My quiet time is 9:30-11:30, please do not disturb me unless there's a fire!"

People do the "mingling" thing to re-establish relationship after a period of separation, they're just touching base with you..... so it's important not to interfere with this so give some time for it in the morning..... accept that the first 30mins of the day is going to be interrupted and then put a boundary in (see above). People will get annoyed if you push them away.... they need to know when they can talk to you.

The secret in all work environments are solid appropriate boundaries.

addmee
03-04-17, 08:01 PM
Hello everyone!
You are right! It sounds alot smarter to call it quiet time! Then am at least not lying!
And Shure I would feel alone if no one would talk to me any more, I think the kilted Scotman are right! I will try this on Monday! First 30 minutes I will try beeng sosial and listen, then I can try to get my work done!

There was a management book ..... something about being an effective manager..... one idea was to have a period of time every day where you wouldn't communicate.... so the do not disturb sign is a good idea..... just put a time on it .... something like "My quiet time is 9:30-11:30, please do not disturb me unless there's a fire!"

People do the "mingling" thing to re-establish relationship after a period of separation, they're just touching base with you..... so it's important not to interfere with this so give some time for it in the morning..... accept that the first 30mins of the day is going to be interrupted and then put a boundary in (see above). People will get annoyed if you push them away.... they need to know when they can talk to you.

The secret in all work environments are solid appropriate boundaries.