View Full Version : How long minimum can I reasonably expect Adderall XR to last?

Nefarious
02-18-17, 04:39 PM
I've been taking Adderall XR and it does wonders but It only seems to last 5.5-to 6hrs for me, and my dosage as been increased slowly up and just recently up to 20mgs. It doesn't seem to last very long for an extended release, at least for me. I take it at 7.30am and it always seems to wear off 1.00pm, by 1.30pm it's definitely out of my system.

The same thing happened with concerta as well before I was switched to Adderall XR, I'd take the concerta at 7.30am and it'd be out by 2.00pm.

Swissy
02-18-17, 06:24 PM
Many people take an IR booster when their XR wears off. Some take XR twice/ day. Most people I have spoken to agree that it lasts about 6 hours.

sarahsweets
02-19-17, 06:22 AM
I've been taking Adderall XR and it does wonders but It only seems to last 5.5-to 6hrs for me, and my dosage as been increased slowly up and just recently up to 20mgs. It doesn't seem to last very long for an extended release, at least for me. I take it at 7.30am and it always seems to wear off 1.00pm, by 1.30pm it's definitely out of my system.

The same thing happened with concerta as well before I was switched to Adderall XR, I'd take the concerta at 7.30am and it'd be out by 2.00pm.
Adderall xr will last at the max about 8 hours. I only get 5-6 out of mine. Its not like vyvanse or concerta where its supposed to last 12 hours. If you need more than the 5-8 hours of coverage, more than one dose is in order. I take my adderall xr 3x a day.

myth20
02-20-17, 02:27 PM
I am prescribed and I take xr 10mg morning around 6:30am. By 11am I take ir 5mg before lunch and last dose is 2pm another ir 5mg.

It is kind a lot of dosaging. I called my dr and maybe he will let me increase the morning xr and try to remove the 11am dosing.

Fraser_0762
02-20-17, 02:32 PM
It depends on your metabolic breakdown rate. For some people it can last 10-12 hours, for those with higher metabolisms, it may only last 4-6 hours. The food and drink you consume and how regularly you exercise can have an effect on this.

sarahsweets
02-20-17, 02:54 PM
I found this on multiple sites.

Peak levels During clinical trials, peak plasma concentrations of a single dose 10 or 30 mg of Adderall to healthy volunteers occur about 3 hours post-dose for both d-amphetamine and lamphetamine. In comparison, maximum plasma concentration of Adderall XR is about 7 hours.

lntense
02-21-17, 05:49 PM
For my standard 20mg of XR I can expect anywhere from 5-7 hours depending on my nutrition and supplementation for the day.

If I take 40mg that goes up to like 8 hours.

Everyone is going to be different, as our body chemistry varies.

bluefoxicy
02-22-17, 12:45 PM
I found the Adderall XR would start to wear off before the second shot kicked in (this is apparently common: people take a 5mg 3-4 hours in to top up, even though a second dose kicks in at 3-4 hours), but the side-effects were persistent as all hell. If I took one at 8am, I slept at 10:30am the next day.

Mind you, I have serious insomnia problems. I simply do not sleep. When sleep-deprived for a year, MAS ER doesn't affect my sleep; when I've been treated and recently started sleeping well, MAS ER destroys my ability to sleep at all.

YMMV--mine did--and, at the end of the day, you might decide AMP sucks and you need something else. It may not work well enough, it may cause serious side-effects, or it might work fantastically and wear off in the evening so you can sleep like a rock. Good luck.

elite242lbs
02-22-17, 01:03 PM
I found the Adderall XR would start to wear off before the second shot kicked in (this is apparently common: people take a 5mg 3-4 hours in to top up, even though a second dose kicks in at 3-4 hours), but the side-effects were persistent as all hell. If I took one at 8am, I slept at 10:30am the next day.

Mind you, I have serious insomnia problems. I simply do not sleep. When sleep-deprived for a year, MAS ER doesn't affect my sleep; when I've been treated and recently started sleeping well, MAS ER destroys my ability to sleep at all.

YMMV--mine did--and, at the end of the day, you might decide AMP sucks and you need something else. It may not work well enough, it may cause serious side-effects, or it might work fantastically and wear off in the evening so you can sleep like a rock. Good luck.

That happened to me at times as well, maybe because I am sleep deprived too. Stopped happening when I doubled my dose but I didn't stay on long enough to see if that was just a temporary effect of the dose increase. I got about 6 hours. I really hear more frequently Adderall XR lasting a max of 6 hours than 8 or more, especially with adults over 30.

itaintme
02-24-17, 07:38 PM
I get about 5 hours, actually a little less, at 5 hours I start to get get tired.

I looked up the curves for blood-level over time, and it says I should be fully hitting my stride at that time. I mentioned that to my Psychiatrist and he said that nobody gets the full 8 hours.

PaulCamR
02-24-17, 08:11 PM
Speaking as someone who hasn't trialed Adderall long enough to have anything more than an extremely short-term opinion:

Adderall 30mg XR was too much for me, but lasted easily 10-12 hours. Adderall 20mg XR lasted 6-8 hours, and sort of varied day to day (trialed for less than 7 days). I've moved to Adderall 25mg XR, but start tomorrow.

Forgetting to eat properly after about 4-5 hours in might be one issue. Forgetting to drink enough as well could be an issue. Acidic foods/drinks too could be an issue.

Lizzie80
02-27-17, 02:15 AM

Adderall's "positive" effects take about an hour to begin working for me, although I personally find it to be a very subtle medication when only taken once a day. If I get very lucky, the first dose is noticeable for 5-6 hours. To avoid a nasty comedown which includes downing every food in sight, a total loss of concentration and focus, and overwhelming fatigue, I must take a second dose about four hours after the first.

The problem for me is that while the (few) positive effects are prolonged by a second dose, the side effects also become deeply pronounced. It also causes me to become totally and utterly unable to sleep, even sixteen hours after that second dose was taken. Although I followed the same exact hourly pattern with dosing for Vyvanse (my previous ADD med, which I can sadly no longer afford thanks to a change in health insurance), Vyvanse never caused such insomnia. I wish I could take an Adderall IR instead of XR for my second dose but it is virtually impossible to obtain in the pharmacies around me, nor will my doctor prescribe IR because of the dumbas*es out there who used it as a party or cram-for-finals drug. He trusts me not to do anything that stupid (or sell my pills), but it's a policy of his multi-doctor practice that he simply can't override.

In short, you might want to try a second but smaller dose of XR a few hours after your first one to extend the effects a bit, the lighter dosage hopefully preventing any insomnia. If you are more fortunate than I am, you could also try taking the IR version as your second dose. However, I am NOT a medical professional and any such discussions need to be thoroughly checked out with your doctor(s).