View Full Version : Had a bad day at work.

Lloyd_
02-20-17, 06:40 PM
It doesn't help my supervisor has a very bad temper and it doesn't take much for me to set him off but of course I get the ol' speech about how I should know more than I do for the time I've spent in the trades and how I'm not catching on as fast, you know, the same spiel you all probably have heard a million times yourselves as well. I might be subpar but I can't be the worst to ever walk in the trades and I felt like telling my supervisor if he's not happy with my performance then get one of the other guys who he won't even want to work with because he's a total slacker and 'milks the clock'.

Unfortunately I don't have common sense and this stuff doesn't come naturally to me, but once I am shown how to do something I usually pick it up pretty quick, I just fall flat on my face when it comes to verbal instructions and when I'm multitasking the last thing anyone wants to see is for me to bust out with a pen and notepad.

Please tell me that years later it gets better from here because I'm really really down in the dumps to the point that I almost regret not going on SSDI when I had the chance, I feel awful right now. :(

Fuzzy12
02-20-17, 06:49 PM
I absolutely can't deal with berbal instructions. Like you said I can't always whip out pen and paper and in really struggle to remember anything that was said in those instances. I'm considering just telling people that catch me on the corridor and want to tall about work to send me an email.

I'm sorry you had a bad day and your supervisor sounds really difficult to work with. I hate people who have got a bad temper.

:grouphug:

Lloyd_
02-20-17, 08:35 PM
I absolutely can't deal with berbal instructions. Like you said I can't always whip out pen and paper and in really struggle to remember anything that was said in those instances. I'm considering just telling people that catch me on the corridor and want to tall about work to send me an email.

I'm sorry you had a bad day and your supervisor sounds really difficult to work with. I hate people who have got a bad temper.

:grouphug:

It probably will eventually escalate to where he gets tired of me and I end up getting fired, I've never been fired before but yet again the real reason probably he keeps me around is that deep down he knows he's difficult person to work with and despite my shortcomings have the patience to deal with working with him. I know a few people on this message board are in the trades and curious if they went through hell during those beginning years of their careers.

finallyfound10
02-24-17, 02:41 AM
What are the trades? Stock market type stuff?

Little Nut
02-24-17, 11:56 AM
It doesn't help my supervisor has a very bad temper and it doesn't take much for me to set him off but of course I get the ol' speech about how I should know more than I do for the time I've spent in the trades and how I'm not catching on as fast, you know, the same spiel you all probably have heard a million times yourselves as well. I might be subpar but I can't be the worst to ever walk in the trades and I felt like telling my supervisor if he's not happy with my performance then get one of the other guys who he won't even want to work with because he's a total slacker and 'milks the clock'.

Unfortunately I don't have common sense and this stuff doesn't come naturally to me, but once I am shown how to do something I usually pick it up pretty quick, I just fall flat on my face when it comes to verbal instructions and when I'm multitasking the last thing anyone wants to see is for me to bust out with a pen and notepad.

Please tell me that years later it gets better from here because I'm really really down in the dumps to the point that I almost regret not going on SSDI when I had the chance, I feel awful right now. :(

Lloyd, Bosses are bosses. If I was your boss, and when questioned you point out your problems w/ verbal instructions, I would probably hand you a notepad and pencil and say that you no longer have an excuse to screw them up. Just saying do what it takes to improve and don't worry about the perception. HTH, -LN

Fuzzy12
02-24-17, 02:00 PM
It probably will eventually escalate to where he gets tired of me and I end up getting fired, I've never been fired before but yet again the real reason probably he keeps me around is that deep down he knows he's difficult person to work with and despite my shortcomings have the patience to deal with working with him. I know a few people on this message board are in the trades and curious if they went through hell during those beginning years of their careers.

When or before it escalates I'd just tell him. Not necessarily that you have adhd but the particular things you struggle with. Ideally sling with solutions of what could be done to make things easier for you.

Also don't be afraid to toot your own horn. Mention your strong points and how they might be harnessed.

What's 'the trades'???

Lloyd_
02-25-17, 11:20 PM
Lloyd, Bosses are bosses. If I was your boss, and when questioned you point out your problems w/ verbal instructions, I would probably hand you a notepad and pencil and say that you no longer have an excuse to screw them up. Just saying do what it takes to improve and don't worry about the perception. HTH, -LN

He expects me to be able to remember without having to write stuff down.

Pilgrim
02-26-17, 05:31 AM
Your always going to endure these lectures and sometimes you need the patience of a saint. If he didn't want you you wouldn't be there. Hang in there.

Fuzzy12
02-26-17, 05:57 AM
That's neither reasonable nor good management. It's like expecting someone to use a typewriter rather than a computer.

Are you sure that's what he expects? Has he explicitly said that? Has he explained what the problem with writing things down is or how writing down things would worsen your output? If not I'd speak to him about it. If he doesn't listen speak to someone else. This is a completely stupid expectation.

sarahsweets
02-26-17, 07:28 AM
I cant believe that your boss would specifically want you to not write anything down. If the idea that employees should do a good job is important, then it shouldnt matter if you keep a notebook, smartphone app or just a really good memory to remember stuff.

Lloyd_
02-26-17, 09:37 AM
Your always going to endure these lectures and sometimes you need the patience of a saint. If he didn't want you you wouldn't be there. Hang in there.

You're correct, the other day he told me I was actually doing a good job then of course the following day threatened to fire me if I can't follow his instructions 100%. Seems my sup. is bi-polar or something. :rolleyes:

I seriously want to find another job, I'm starting to get way too stressed out over this. I'm starting to realize it's not entirely me who is to blame because other people I've worked under have never gotten this worked up but then again my current sup. is very old school in how he does things!!! As an ADDer I tend to do well under somebody who really lights the fire under my ***, but I just cannot take this bi-polar type of behavior where I'm doing a **** job one min and a good job the next minute.

Going to bite the bullet and start searching this week. **** I hate looking for work, I tend to stay at one place for at least a few years before moving on to another job.

If he didn't want you you wouldn't be there. Hang in there.

Thank you for reaffirming this, I should remind myself of that point instead of beating myself up which I can't seem to do enough of.

kilted_scotsman
02-27-17, 07:22 AM
In the UK it's normal for bosses/foremen to be hard on the younger more inexperienced people/apprentices.

It's weird. It's the reason that I worked for and hired, non-timeserved tradespeople. They tended to mentor each other and work toward getting the whole job done rather than trying to get one over on their colleagues and other trades. The non-timeserved people tended to have a different outlook and were more versatile, also they thought about the client's perception of them, and the quality of the job, more than the hourly rate.

Working with these guys made for a much more relaxed, safer and more enjoyable site, and the project went faster because people were watching each others backs...

I noticed that this happened in rural areas..... urban/town sites were much more aggressive.

stef
02-27-17, 07:50 AM
Im in much the same situation!
also I get snapped at for not remembering simple things and then also, if I happen to have a notepad with me (depends on what im doing at the moment), I get told, "you don't need to write that down"!

I find it's proactive and also, only *I* am the person who can tell what I will or will not remember. Even I think it's being very self aware, when I'm already doing 10 things, that I'm preoccupied and very likely not to retain information.

no one else has a problem with this. (with me noting things, even on a post-it or whatever).

aeon
02-27-17, 09:34 AM
I get told, "you don't need to write that down"!

Only narcissists and fools presume to know what other people need.

Cheers,
Ian

dvdnvwls
02-27-17, 04:27 PM
Only narcissists and fools presume to know what other people need.
Unfortunately, many bosses are narcissists, and some are fools - and unfortunately, that doesn't make them not the boss.

aeon
02-27-17, 04:46 PM
Unfortunately, many bosses are narcissists, and some are fools - and unfortunately, that doesn't make them not the boss.

Agreed, and yes, unfortunately. And then there are those that are narcissists *and* fools (no, not redundant)...so let the crying begin.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Nut
02-27-17, 05:39 PM

...and he/she gripes about you getting verbal instructions wrong??? Do what you have to do and if writing them down improves your job performance, do it. Also include dates/times on when he/she griped about getting verbal instructions wrong and when griped about taking notes. GL