View Full Version : Vyvanse vs methylphenidate

fitfreak
02-20-17, 11:23 PM
I've been taking Vyvanse 50's for just about four years now. For most of that time I was on what's known as the Shire's program. Basically, I got it free directly from the company based on my taxes. Last year I attained health insurance for the first time since graduating college in 2002. The affordable care act here in the "United" States changed a lot of things. My problem right now is that my doctor is having difficulty getting a prior authorization for Vyvanse, a medication that works brilliantly for me, and wants me to try switching to time released methylphenidate ER 27. Can anybody here advise me on what this is going to be like? Now different is this going to be? How long does extended release last?

sarahsweets
02-21-17, 05:27 AM
I dont understand why the doctor would want you to switch from vyvanse which is an ampetamine, to methylphenidate (like ritalin, focalin or concerta) which is completely different. Why not another amphetamine like adderall or dexedrine?

Little Nut
02-21-17, 10:01 AM
It sounds like you're butting heads with the Formulary for you health insurance. In your shoes I would;

Ask this question in the "Ritalin" sub-forum.
I would educate myself on the process your Doc's staff is going through. (They do it all the time, but with a bunch of different insurance companies having different requirements, forms, who to contact...)
By involving yourself you may be able to make the process work for you, speed it up, or at a minimum understand what is going on.
Get your insurance companies "Drug Formulary" (Normally posted on their website somewhere.)
Review the formulary, what it requires to prescribe Vyvanse, and what is required to get approval and what it will cost if approved.
Discuss with your Doc's staff on best way for you to help get approval.
If after all this, you have to switch drugs, ask your Doc about Dexedrine.....

GL, -LN

C15H25N3O
02-21-17, 05:26 PM
Why dont you pay it your on your own?

I never got free amphetamines or ritalin paid by the insurance.

I also have to pay for my new med.