View Full Version : How do I handle mistakes made on the job prior to my diagnosis?

Zero_Escape
02-20-17, 11:55 PM
I discovered these forums a few weeks ago so I know screwing up at work is nothing new, but it's still tough to deal with. Especially when you let your coworkers down and discover the mistake could have been entirely avoided with a little more care. I just got diagnosed in January and was prescribed a small dosage of Ritalin. I feel like I need this adjusted slightly but I can still say that things are starting to improve for me. The problem now is I'm trying to get through a backlog of work and finding errors that are careless and clearly the result of me not reviewing or understanding my tasks well enough. The one that really makes me cringe is a quota I messed up (I work in sales administration) so now I'm feeling guilty about giving one of the sales reps an unfair advantage. The medication has already helped but it doesn't overwrite the mistakes of the past. I'm kind of embarrassed about some of the more idiotic oversights. Two questions...what is the best way to own up to the mistakes? Also, has anyone else experienced a similar situation of finding careless errors after the fact? Thanks everyone!

sarahsweets
02-21-17, 05:22 AM
The one that really makes me cringe is a quota I messed up (I work in sales administration) so now I'm feeling guilty about giving one of the sales reps an unfair advantage. The medication has already helped but it doesn't overwrite the mistakes of the past. I'm kind of embarrassed about some of the more idiotic oversights. Two questions...what is the best way to own up to the mistakes? Also, has anyone else experienced a similar situation of finding careless errors after the fact? Thanks everyone!
How did you give someone the unfair advantage? Can you elaborate?
What do you mean by owning up to mistakes? I caution you about that.Its one thing to correct something, its another to tell your superiors or coworkers how you know you made a mistake and now you are going to fix it. I get it that you feel better now and want to right the wrongs but is this really a good idea for you? There is already enough discrimination against adhd and other mental health issues and I dont know if making it known that you made mistakes, but now are trying to fix them because you are doing better, would help you in the long run.

I know when I began to feel better I wanted to shout it from the rooftops because it was like I could finally prove I had potential and was able to harness it.I thought everyone else deserved, and would want to know the error of my past ways because I was so excited that I had a reason for them and a solution. I had to realize that just because I felt better and knew things would get better, doesnt mean others needed to know this nor would they care about it the way I did.
Most bosses and coworkers do not care, they only want to work in the present parameters, and telling them about stuff in the past only undermined my position and possibility in the future.

IMO you should leave the past alone, fix what you can without fanfare and announcements and keep moving forward.

Zero_Escape
02-21-17, 07:22 AM
How did you give someone the unfair advantage? Can you elaborate?

If I set sales targets too low, someone stands to make more in commission than other people in similar situations. I essentially have to predict the future which is not easy, but I think I missed some obvious signs in the number trends that would be tough to defend.

Thanks for the advice and I think you are absolutely right. I could see how people with adhd and other disorders could become an easy target when things go wrong. I made a few careless errors in the past so I found myself getting blamed for things that weren't entirely my fault. In the commission example above, I had been on the job 3-4 months and other people approved the work. If this would become an issue down the road, past experience tells me I will get blamed for it whether I bring it up or someone else questions the numbers. I'm trying to wipe the slate clean and not have to worry about anything from the past coming back to bite me, but after reading your suggestions I'm thinking this could only hurt me.