View Full Version : Early Memories of Warmth and Safety Scale

kilted_scotsman
02-21-17, 07:50 AM
I was at a workshop last weekend I came across the Early Memories of Warmth and Safety Scale. It's 21 questions about how one sensed one's childhood... (See here (http://compassionatemind.co.uk/uploads/files/early-memories-of-warmth-and-safeness-scale.pdf) for the questions/scoring)

I am interested in this as I scored pretty low on the scale, to the extent that other participants questioned the validity of my score.

I am interested if anyone else has done this test. From my experiences on this board I think that most of us would score quite low.

PS if anyone has access to the original journal article I'd be interested in reading it.

Fuzzy12
02-21-17, 07:59 AM
Do the questions refer to early childhood? What's the approximate age for childhood (according to the test ). My answers probably change s lot after age 12 or so.

Also does it refer primarily to parents or family or does it also include friends teachers etc.

Abi
02-21-17, 08:51 AM
Right

Mine changed after I went to pre-school (5)

BIG difference

kilted_scotsman
02-21-17, 09:44 AM
At the workshop we had the same discussion. The consensus was that the scale could be done for several periods and compared.

Likewise it was thought that the score might change during later life as childhood is reasessed and "integrated"

aeon
02-21-17, 10:44 AM
I scored a “4.”

Thanks,
Ian

Little Missy
02-21-17, 12:55 PM
What I find to be very disturbing is that I had the highest score on each question during childhood, teenage, young adult, etc. yet at age 50 or more the scores would be very, very low, if at all.

salleh
02-21-17, 02:57 PM
this test is why I always say I had an idyllic childhood....3s & 4s all the way ....actually up until my father died when I was 32, I always felt safe and secure ......things went bad very quickly after that ......I was just getting started with my career ( photographer) and did have a foot in the door, and Daddy let all his insurance slide the last year of his life.....and all of a sudden I had no support at all...I floundered for decades......

......If anything I was too coddled and cared for ....like I said.....I was very lucky indeed .....

.....I am not the biggest fan of children ....I wasn't one of those girls who couldn't wait to get married and have a family.....no interest really....

....But I do know this, children deserve a solid chance in this world, if you're going to have children you have a responsibility to care for those children, to the best of your ability, and if you know you aren't prepared to do so, you have no business having them ....

.....I wasn't raised with money, money was something that we knew would come later ( I was born when Daddy was still in medical school, it would be many years before he started making any money at all) .....but my little sister and I were cherished and cared for ......and I could go on and on with the memories of our family.....our parents didn't hover over us like the modern helicopter parents, but nor did they ignore us....we had standards of behavior that were required, and they always explained why we were to do the things they required....they trusted us to behave well, and we trusted them to care for us ...

...None of us were perfect, but I would wish for every child to have the kind of security and love that I grew up with ....

DJ Bill
02-21-17, 08:41 PM
0 to 10 for me.. and some days I still feel that way. Losing both parents at a very young age (3-4) is to blame for my results, I think. Mainly due to the friends I have made in the 12 step rooms I think I'd be a lot higher than that nowadays. Still not too many 4's.

Free to Fly
02-22-17, 12:28 AM
14. For what I remember. Huge gaps of no awareness of events. Always thought those folks that said they would go back to any period in childhood up to starting college were nuts. The only reason I ever thought I wanted to go back was to buy land instead of cars trucks and motorcycles.

kilted_scotsman
02-22-17, 07:28 AM
I had the highest score on each question during childhood, teenage, young adult, etc. yet at age 50 or more the scores would be very, very low, if at all.

That's really interesting..... the assumption is that high EMWSS scores when childhood is recollected would result in an improved level of resilience to psychological distress in later life.

I scored 9...... what was surprising for me is that I thought my childhood was "normal"... and that I was "normal", which led to a lot of pain and confusion around not fitting in. It's only recently that learning counselling and reading family letters has made me realise that both my parents were well into "disorder" diagnoses thanks to the UK's crazy boarding school system.

Little Missy
02-22-17, 09:55 AM
That's really interesting..... the assumption is that high EMWSS scores when childhood is recollected would result in an improved level of resilience to psychological distress in later life.

That assumption probably fits well with most, but having the rug of warmth and safety eventually jerked out from under you can be pretty worrisome.

namazu
02-22-17, 02:02 PM
My experience is somewhat similar to Little Missy's and perhaps Fuzzy's -- largely very "warm and safe" childhood (with some blip during my stormy early teens years), with somewhat lower scores as an adult (though I wouldn't say totally "rug pulled out").

A large part of that, for me, is that I've moved around quite a bit as an adult, and haven't yet established a social life in my current town. Thus, all of the questions about feeling belonging and having people to turn to -- other than my spouse, and my family (who don't live nearby), whom I appreciate dearly -- are harder to answer with high numbers.

Pilgrim
02-22-17, 08:17 PM
I remember seeking these things when younger, my mother disabused me of this at about 6 or 7. Ow well.