View Full Version : Worried about adderall dosages?

adm9999
02-21-17, 01:50 PM
I have been looking for a thread that has been similar to my situation but can not find one that is similar!

I am 16 y/o, been diagnosed with ADD since 4th grade, medicated since 6th. Along with adderall, I also take paxil, propranolol (anxiety), and trazodone(insomnia).

Currently, my official dosage is 1 30 mg xr in the morning, and either one or two 20 mg ir later on, depending on the day. I have always been on the higher side of the dosages with meds (ritalin, vyvanse, now adderall), and im not sure if this is because i metabolize them too quickly or just need a higher dosage, but for some reason my starting minimum effective dosages have always been just reaching the maximum allowed dosage set by the FDA. This stresses me out because i am TERRIFIED of my tolerance building up quickly and being out of options for adderall which is the med i have had most success with.

However, my dosage varies on the day. Since adderall xr only works about 4-4 1/2 hours and ir only works about 1 1/2-2 hours (probably due to metabolizing them too quickly), i sometimes need more than the 40-60 mg dose that is officially prescribed (my doctor said it is ok to have my doses be more or less because she knows i metabolize quickly). For example, my overall dosage might be 90 mg spread throughout the day if i have a project that will require me to focus on throughout the afternoon until evening. I never really worried about stuff like this and doing it every once in a while until i saw that some people on this forum say that this dosage is "an overdose" or "way too high" or something like how this dose would be something an addict would take.

My question would be, is it safe and ok to vary my dose like that or go up to 90 mg on occasion, even though its cleared with my prescriber (psychiatric nurse practitioner working under a psychitrist)? Remember that the 90 mg dosage is only for if i need my focus to last through the afternoon after school. But is something wrong if i take that dose sometimes or is it just due to my body metabolizing it fairly quickly?

The last thing i want would be to put my body at risk, but what makes me question it more is that i have been taking adderall for a couple of months and know that i have little tolerance if any at all, because its been the same situation since ive started taking the medication.

For a clearer picture, i do have pretty bad ADD, i dont know if it would be classified as severe because im not sure what to compare it to. All i know is that if i go to school without medication, its like i might as well have not gone at all because i can not bring myself to do any of the work and its very hard for me to participate. I would probably be failing if I wasnt medicated, so im very glad that i have this miracle of a treatment option that can help me function like the other students.

Last thing, i dont take adderall on weekends or any time we are on a school break or im not at school. This is my personal choice, because i need the weekends to be unwound and eat like a normal person! (which im sure my fellow ADD med patients can relate too)

sarahsweets
02-22-17, 06:08 AM
However, my dosage varies on the day. Since adderall xr only works about 4-4 1/2 hours and ir only works about 1 1/2-2 hours (probably due to metabolizing them too quickly), i sometimes need more than the 40-60 mg dose that is officially prescribed (my doctor said it is ok to have my doses be more or less because she knows i metabolize quickly). For example, my overall dosage might be 90 mg spread throughout the day if i have a project that will require me to focus on throughout the afternoon until evening. I never really worried about stuff like this and doing it every once in a while until i saw that some people on this forum say that this dosage is "an overdose" or "way too high" or something like how this dose would be something an addict would take.
Does your doctor give you enough pills for this kind of variation or would you/do you run out? I think increasing the dose based on work load IMO isnt the best idea because its sets the framework for going above the consistent benefits meds are supposed to have vs needing them to do more than they are supposed to, or able to do. My opinion has nothing to do with it being too high at 90 or 60, I take 80mg, but I take mine consistently without needing more or less for what goes on in my life. I guess what I mean is, I dont think its a good idea to use more medication to help with extra hard stuff and only use less medication for other stuff. I am not explaining myself well about this but I think its putting too much emphasis on what meds are supposed to be doing vs what you want them to do and at what points you want them to be doing it.

My question would be, is it safe and ok to vary my dose like that or go up to 90 mg on occasion, even though its cleared with my prescriber (psychiatric nurse practitioner working under a psychitrist)? Remember that the 90 mg dosage is only for if i need my focus to last through the afternoon after school. But is something wrong if i take that dose sometimes or is it just due to my body metabolizing it fairly quickly?

The safety part is something your doctor would decide, we cant advise you on that. Risks of doing that are something a doctor handles. What are the instructions on the bottle and by the doctor? Is it take 'x' amount 3 x a day AND an extra "x" when things are tough?

The last thing i want would be to put my body at risk, but what makes me question it more is that i have been taking adderall for a couple of months and know that i have little tolerance if any at all, because its been the same situation since ive started taking the medication.

I am not someone who cautions against higher than normal dosages or wants to make people feel like they shouldnt take certain meds or dosages but IMO it does make me think you are expecting way too much out of your meds and setting up a pattern of pill taking based on impressions of work or difficulty, rather than what you truly need.
If you do need more on certain days and your doctor says you should I think your doc should write you a seperate script that accounts for the extra and says something like "take 1-2 as needed). This way you have proof and records for days you are taking more.

Last thing, i dont take adderall on weekends or any time we are on a school break or im not at school. This is my personal choice, because i need the weekends to be unwound and eat like a normal person! (which im sure my fellow ADD med patients can relate too)

Again I will say the same thing about consistency. I am not personally a fan of taking breaks. I think that breaks are psychological in that they give the patient a false sense of control or justification- like its ok to need more for that book report but not ok to need meds in order to pay attention to other less demanding things, or basic things like showering, driving or relationships. I know I cant Not take my meds at anytime and expect to live a life anywhere near normal orn with any quality to it.