View Full Version : Do pharmacies still stock name-brand Adderall XR?

Optimist25
02-21-17, 09:12 PM
I've been on Vyvanse 70mg for years now and it's a pretty good match. But I'm 27 y/o now and want to be completely financially independent from my parents (I provide for myself entirely but my parents still help pay for the very expensive Vyvanse).

I talked to my psychiatrist about switching to Adderall XR 30mg because it's cheaper and he agreed. I filled the script a week ago and every day has been a hazy, unproductive fog where I feel not only unfocused and unproductive but also have been feeling awkward, dizzy, and apathetic. I checked the manufacturer name on the bottle and it's "Actavis" which apparently has pretty poor reviews.

I called my doc about it and he said it's true that some patients experience a significant difference between generics and brand name medications and mentioned he'd be willing to write the next script as "brand name only".

My question is, do pharmacies still stock brand name (Shire) Adderall XR or is it only generics? If it is only generics, which brands are like the old Adderall XR? I don't want to end up with another month's worth of cognitive-dysfunction-inducing medication from another generic like "Actavis".

aeon
02-21-17, 09:20 PM
You didn't mention what your current dose or schedule for Adderall XR (or equivalent) is.

Thanks,
Ian

Cyllya
02-22-17, 02:22 AM
It's going to vary by pharmacy. I don't think there's anything forcing them to all do it the same way.

I took brand-name Adderall XR until recently, and I normally use Kroger pharmacy. They originally didn't carry the 5mg or 10mg pills on a regular basis. After a couple months of special-ordering it after every time I brought my prescription in, they volunteered to start ordering it on a regular basis for me. When I switched from 5mg to 10mg, they had to order that too. When I switched to 15mg, they already had it in stock (they didn't know I was going to switch). I'm guessing they stock the name brand of the most popular doses and there's just a really low demand for 5mg and 10mg XR pills.

But back when I was pharmacy shopping, an employee at a Wal-Mart pharmacy told me they stock ONLY generics regularly. (I figure they make an exception for stuff that isn't available as a generic.) And their schedule for special orders was really inconvenient.

Either way, if they have it in stock, they should be willing to order it for you. They might require that you turn in the prescription before they'll order it, and they'll probably insist that you can't turn the prescription in prior to the "do not fill until" date, so it'll be beneficial if your doctor will date your prescriptions so as to give you a few days of leeway.

sarahsweets
02-22-17, 05:11 AM
SHIRE makes all the generics (global, teva/barr) and the brand except for the one made by ACTAVIS. ACTAVIS is sort of the newbie and many of us have had issues with it. I have never had an issue my whole life with any generic until I had actavis. I took it for three days and went back to the doctor, gave her my pills and got a new script.

lntense
02-22-17, 02:14 PM
I believe I have had Actavis as well. If they are the blue 20mg ER pills.

I don't remember noticing much of a difference, but currently only use Barr.

What did they feel like for you Sarah?

sarahsweets
02-22-17, 06:39 PM
I believe I have had Actavis as well. If they are the blue 20mg ER pills.

I don't remember noticing much of a difference, but currently only use Barr.

What did they feel like for you Sarah?

I felt like I was crawling out of my skin. Very agitated and no real focus but really negative focus on physical imperfections like for me, one microscopic eye brow hair out of place.
In addition, all I had were side effects and no results.
I took them for three days, drove back up to my dr., handed the bottle to her and explained why I wanted a new script.