View Full Version : Best form of magnesium to take before bed?

whoisinthere22
02-22-17, 05:02 PM
Hi there!

I heard a few brands of magnesium are good to take while on vyvanse. I also know that oxide is the worst out of all of them.

What form of magnesium do you guys use?

lntense
02-22-17, 05:21 PM
I would say you couldn't go wrong with chelated magnesium or magnesium citrate. I personally use chelate.

Abstract
"Published data on the bioavailability of various Mg preparations is too fragmented and scanty to inform proper choice of Mg preparation for clinical studies. In this study, the relative bioavailability of three preparations of Mg (amino-acid chelate, citrate and oxide) were compared at a daily dose of 300 mg of elemental Mg in 46 healthy individuals. The study was a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel intervention, of 60 days duration. Urine, blood and saliva samples were taken at baseline, 24 h after the first Mg supplement was taken ('acute' supplementation) and after 60 days of daily Mg consumption ('chronic' supplementation). Results showed that supplementation of the organic forms of Mg (citrate and amino-acid chelate) showed greater absorption (P = 0.033) at 60 days than MgO, as assessed by the 24-h urinary Mg excretion. Mg citrate led to the greatest mean serum Mg concentration compared with other treatments following both acute (P = 0.026) and chronic (P = 0.006) supplementation. Furthermore, although mean erythrocyte Mg concentration showed no differences among groups, chronic Mg citrate supplementation resulted in the greatest (P = 0.027) mean salivary Mg concentration compared with all other treatments. Mg oxide supplementation resulted in no differences compared to placebo. We conclude that a daily supplementation with Mg citrate shows superior bioavailability after 60 days of treatment when compared with other treatments studied."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14596323?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

whoisinthere22
02-22-17, 05:59 PM
I would say you couldn't go wrong with chelated magnesium or magnesium citrate. I personally use chelate.

Abstract
"Published data on the bioavailability of various Mg preparations is too fragmented and scanty to inform proper choice of Mg preparation for clinical studies. In this study, the relative bioavailability of three preparations of Mg (amino-acid chelate, citrate and oxide) were compared at a daily dose of 300 mg of elemental Mg in 46 healthy individuals. The study was a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel intervention, of 60 days duration. Urine, blood and saliva samples were taken at baseline, 24 h after the first Mg supplement was taken ('acute' supplementation) and after 60 days of daily Mg consumption ('chronic' supplementation). Results showed that supplementation of the organic forms of Mg (citrate and amino-acid chelate) showed greater absorption (P = 0.033) at 60 days than MgO, as assessed by the 24-h urinary Mg excretion. Mg citrate led to the greatest mean serum Mg concentration compared with other treatments following both acute (P = 0.026) and chronic (P = 0.006) supplementation. Furthermore, although mean erythrocyte Mg concentration showed no differences among groups, chronic Mg citrate supplementation resulted in the greatest (P = 0.027) mean salivary Mg concentration compared with all other treatments. Mg oxide supplementation resulted in no differences compared to placebo. We conclude that a daily supplementation with Mg citrate shows superior bioavailability after 60 days of treatment when compared with other treatments studied."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14596323?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

I was considering taking chelate and citrate. I am not sure yet.

Which form of chelated magnesium do you have?

whoisinthere22
02-22-17, 06:10 PM

Abstract

I did some digging and found out that citrate worsens the effects of Adderall.

"1. Amphetamine tolerance is caused by excess Calcium influx through the NMDA receptor. Taking NMDA antagonists, prevent excess Calcium influx. Magnesium is an excellent NMDA antagonist, so take magnesium glycinate or magnesium taurate 200 mg three times a day. Do not take magnesium citrate, as it will acidify the GI tract and have a negative effect on absorption of your medication."
"Adderall Tolerance" by Roberta Foss-Morgan (http://app.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGC%25dN%25cS%25cSJJJmqEEBorEGnzBEtnAmpBz%2 5cSnqqrEnyy-GByrEnApr%25cS)

And I also had an interesting read here:
"Adderall Tolerance: Causes and How to Prevent It" from Mental Health Daily (http://app.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGC%25dN%25cS%25cSzrAGnyurnyGuqnvyLmpBz%25c Scabf%25cSbc%25cSci%25cSnqqrEnyy-GByrEnApr-pnHFrF-uBJ-GB-CErIrAG-vG%25cS)

Little Missy
02-22-17, 08:31 PM
Milk of Magnesia :)

whoisinthere22
02-22-17, 08:53 PM
Milk of Magnesia :)

I have never heard of such thing.
I think I am gonna go with glycinate. I found a brand called "Advanced Orthomolecular Research" (AOR).

Living in Canada and getting any sort of useful supplement is nightmare

lntense
02-24-17, 04:56 PM
I did some digging and found out that citrate worsens the effects of Adderall.

"1. Amphetamine tolerance is caused by excess Calcium influx through the NMDA receptor. Taking NMDA antagonists, prevent excess Calcium influx. Magnesium is an excellent NMDA antagonist, so take magnesium glycinate or magnesium taurate 200 mg three times a day. Do not take magnesium citrate, as it will acidify the GI tract and have a negative effect on absorption of your medication."
"Adderall Tolerance" by Roberta Foss-Morgan (http://app.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGC%25dN%25cS%25cSJJJmqEEBorEGnzBEtnAmpBz%2 5cSnqqrEnyy-GByrEnApr%25cS)

And I also had an interesting read here:
"Adderall Tolerance: Causes and How to Prevent It" from Mental Health Daily (http://app.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGC%25dN%25cS%25cSzrAGnyurnyGuqnvyLmpBz%25c Scabf%25cSbc%25cSci%25cSnqqrEnyy-GByrEnApr-pnHFrF-uBJ-GB-CErIrAG-vG%25cS)

Looks like you found your answer.

sarek
02-24-17, 05:03 PM
You can also use transdermal application of magnesium chloride. Just spray it on the skin, it goes directly into tissues and into the bloodstream without passing the intestinal tract.

Bakasura
02-27-17, 12:14 PM
Any update on this? Had the same question myself. WhoIsThere22 - did you end up trying Magnesium Glycinate?

20thcenturyfox
02-27-17, 01:31 PM
supposedly crosses the blood brain barrier more easily than other magnesium salts.

Little Missy
02-27-17, 05:29 PM
You can also use transdermal application of magnesium chloride. Just spray it on the skin, it goes directly into tissues and into the bloodstream without passing the intestinal tract.

right here :)

33Forward
03-11-17, 03:38 AM
supposedly crosses the blood brain barrier more easily than other magnesium salts.

^This!!! :yes:
Indeed. I, too, feel into the magnesium citrate trap without realizing it. I've been taking citrate for years for headaches, so I never really gave it a thought until someone mentioned that the citrate form contains citric acid, which is an amphetamine no-no.

You can get Threonate, but its really tough (impossible) to source locally. I know, I drove everywhere I could think of today with no success. For now, I have Gluconate form to hold me over, until I can order the Threonate form online. Others have suggested Gylconate and Malate as options. Threonate is a relatively new form, which supposedly crosses the blood-brain barrier very easily. Each form works better for different needs, but considering the context, Malate if you can find it, or Threonate is probably the best for those of us on this forum. Be aware that some list combinations of different forms, all of those I found had citrate form as part of that.
In the same idea, don't forget calcium, and zinc. However, they both (especially calcium) have similar issues finding bioavailable forms that aren't citrate. :rolleyes:

Unmanagable
03-11-17, 01:47 PM

Good stuff. I enjoyed the spray, especially over having to remember to take another pill, but couldn't stand the sensory issues with the residue once it dried and soaked in.

The tingle took some getting used to, but also served as a way of knowing it was doing its job, so to speak. I find that rather comforting in such a sea of uncertainty among various healing arenas.

I later happened upon a you tube video of a gentleman explaining the gel version of magnesium chloride and he spoke of how he blended it with other things to be able to use it more comfortably and on the go.

I found some at our local healthy products store (Life-flo brand, magnesium chloride brine, super concentrated gel) and started mixing some in with my home made coconut and essential oil blends as a daily moisturizer. Diggin' it. No more residue issues and there's a much more steady flow of application.

In addition, a long soak in a hot epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) bath a couple times a week benefits my overall wellness greatly, too. If you don't have access to a tub, use something large enough to soak only your feet in.

Use two cups of epsom salt and water as hot as you can stand it, only if you don't have any medical conditions that prohibit you from doing so, and soak for at least 20 minutes to benefit from the healing effects.

You can also add essential oils to the soaks, but be very careful to research what you want to use and how to safely use it as some of them are quite potent and require a carrier oil. I prefer using them outside of the tub and only in external blends and diffusers.

baical
03-15-17, 11:23 AM
I thought magnesium glycine or aspartate were great up until I just tried magnesium bisglycinate!

lntense
05-16-17, 12:04 PM
I did some trial and error and Magnesium Taurate seems to work the best for me. Great sleep, and great for the comedown from adderall. It is a very good form of it.

I retract my earlier post about chelate.. Apologies