View Full Version : Opinions on meds

elite242lbs
02-23-17, 12:26 AM
I am 35 with ADD Inattentive type and I have been on meds for the past 6 moths or so. Started with Vyvanse and after a few months settled on Adderall XR 60mg per day. This worked for me until my insurance this year had QL and I could not continue with 2 caps per day. I tried 30mg IR 2x per day but that didn't seems to work for me. I wanted to switch to Dexedrine Spansules as they will cover up to 60mg a day but my doctor wanted me to go a different direction first. I started Desoxyn 20mg/10mg bid and it works for me in many ways better than Adderall. I have a passion for lifting and my goals usually require eating large amounts of food which i have no problems with now. I now can eat, I can lift with no issues or concerns with heart rate being elevated. Only problem is with energy that now I tend to require a nap every day. Adderall provided me with more and energy and motivation which my wife was quite happy with but with that came the price with some weight loss. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my doctor and I was thinking of maybe asking if maybe an ER/CR med at a lower dose in the AM would be a good idea, at least for the next few months. We are adjusting to our home and our new baby so some extra stimulation is a welcomed side-effect. I don't want to stop the Desoxyn because it works so well and it doesn't get in my way. And it helps with my focus, but I'm not sure what to do or what would be best for me at this point. My options would probably be either a raise of Desoxyn dosage to 25mg/day which is my insurance QL, or try Focalin XR or Dex ER. Is somehow incorporating the Focalin XR or Dex ER with the Desoxyn a good idea? Any suggestions are appreciated so I can be better prepared for my short visits with my doctor.

jeffb74
02-23-17, 11:47 PM
Elite, do you notice any help with the desoxyn in terms of energy or motivation at all? Do you think trying 25 mg of Desoxyn(the limit you mentioned) might help a little more than 20 mg? Maybe give the desoxyn a little more time to see how your body adjusts? I find motivation to be a more internal thing, energy more external but I would ask you what medicine that you have taken has helped your add symptoms overall or the add symptoms you want to treat that is. There is no perfect add medicine but compare the few have taken and see what works the best overall. It's like chasing the perfect job, the perfect spouse, perfect parent, etc....

Little Nut
02-24-17, 12:21 PM
Doesn't follow your OP, but you have tried Vyvanse and it didn't workwell enough. Adderall XR (Assume 30mg XR BID) worked well. Due to drug formulary you are doing 20mg/d Desoxyn and not fully effective. If It was me I would try the 25mg/d Desoxyn and in the mean time pursue getting approval for the 2 caps/day XR. Might be a bit of a fight but there are procedures to get approval. My approach would be that the XR is effective and the Vyvanse and Desoxyn aren't. You know amphetamines treat effectively and don't want to abandon them. You will likely need sound rationale why Adderall IR boosters or Dexedrine IR wouldn't work for you.

Not really a factor for getting approval to deviate from Formulary, but cost wise the Vyvanse and the Desoxyn are probably at least twice what the XR would be.

elite242lbs
02-27-17, 02:06 AM
I tried Adderall again to give a more fair comparison and I seemed to have had some misguided thoughts. To say that Desoxyn does not provide motivation or that energy that Adderall did was incorrect. I find that Desoxyn does provide ample energy and motivation but with more focus and a longer duration. It is a great medication for me that I intend to stay on. I was just prescribed the increase of dose, 25mg/day. Having my first dose with breakfast seems to have a more predictable and better effect overall. 15mg is working better at this point with breakfast and 10mg continues to be a good second dose. I wish to have a final 5mg as a third dose some days to finish my day but I wouldn't be able to have that extra 5mg in the AM which provides enough kick to get my day started. It has a quick onset and I was sleeping during the first couple of hours of taking my first dose on an empty stomach before having to wake that now seems like a waste of productive hours. A you start to engage its onset appears the quickest, it allows for you to make the choice. Giving myself time to adapt and adjust seems to be the best choice. It can be tricky but effective however you dose it just depends on your needs. I'm still figuring it out but I am rather optimistic at this point and hope to settle on it soon enough. I am reaping the benefits with little side-effects, none that I can really point out at this time.

jeffb74
03-17-17, 11:13 PM
Hello Elite, can you update us on how the Desoxyn is working out for you? Are you still taking it? Your impressions of Desoxyn now that it's been a few weeks to several weeks? I assume you are taking 25 mg a day ? Thanks, jeff b

sarahsweets
03-18-17, 07:40 AM
I am 35 with ADD Inattentive type and I have been on meds for the past 6 moths or so. Started with Vyvanse and after a few months settled on Adderall XR 60mg per day. This worked for me until my insurance this year had QL and I could not continue with 2 caps per day

Have you or your doc appealed this? 60mg is the recommended max for narcolepsy but many of us are on 60 for adhd. Many times a doc can fill out a "medically necessary" form and get it approved.

I tried 30mg IR 2x per day but that didn't seems to work for me. I wanted to switch to Dexedrine Spansules as they will cover up to 60mg a day but my doctor wanted me to go a different direction first. I started Desoxyn 20mg/10mg bid and it works for me in many ways better than Adderall. I have a passion for lifting and my goals usually require eating large amounts of food which i have no problems with now. I now can eat, I can lift with no issues or concerns with heart rate being elevated. Only problem is with energy that now I tend to require a nap every day. Adderall provided me with more and energy and motivation which my wife was quite happy with but with that came the price with some weight loss. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my doctor and I was thinking of maybe asking if maybe an ER/CR med at a lower dose in the AM would be a good idea, at least for the next few months. We are adjusting to our home and our new baby so some extra stimulation is a welcomed side-effect. I don't want to stop the Desoxyn because it works so well and it doesn't get in my way. And it helps with my focus, but I'm not sure what to do or what would be best for me at this point. My options would probably be either a raise of Desoxyn dosage to 25mg/day which is my insurance QL, or try Focalin XR or Dex ER. Is somehow incorporating the Focalin XR or Dex ER with the Desoxyn a good idea? Any suggestions are appreciated so I can be better prepared for my short visits with my doctor.

Dex would make more sense in this scenario because desoyxn is an amphetamine. Focaline is from the methylphenidate class of drugs and might be harder for you to adjust to.

dvdnvwls
03-18-17, 02:29 PM
Sarah - see his later post where he describes Desoxyn working quite well.