View Full Version : Conversation with my dad

PolaBear
02-23-17, 04:00 PM
Hey guys

First off this post isn't actually about political stuff, this ain't the place for it anyway plus it's a mind blowing thing as I'll write anyway.

Was talking to my dad earlier, there is an election type of thing today and for some reason got onto talking about this, mainly as the on,y two times iv mentioned anything about this situation my mum went off saying that I was stupid and knew nothing. Which is fine, becuase I can see it as what it is, and honestly don't look at all of that stuff that much, even though it seems to be everywhere right now. I don't read newspapers or watch much news, a lot of it Just to make you angry or afraid, and have had times before reading article after article in stuff that has nothing to my here and now anyway. Always think it can make you feel that anything and everything is awful one way or another.

So as my dad was there I felt myself talking more and more, and it got a bit debate like, he does look into all of this stuff, where my talking tended to be more about how a lot of it is just noise and garbage, and other things. This went on for a while, which is unusual as we don't talk in this way, but began to get an uncomfortable feeling, as after time it just becomes talk, and it's not where I want to focus anyway, the opening and sharing in this way isn't what I wanted, and again I stay away from all of this. Yet the talk went on, didn't get to the insults level that my mum does but heard a load of his views, which ain't mine, but did say that people can think whatever way they want to.

The aftermath though really is I didn't really want the conversation, it's like a feeling that I'm now off centre and low frequency. It's not something I think of in that way anyway, think tv, news etc can put things in all kinds of ways and if you don't recognise that and see it for what it is it can blow your mind, not just on this topic but in loads of ways. Now just feel like I didn't want the sharing or conversation at all as it wasn't me. Know there's a thing that you shouldn't talk about politics/religion but really it's just the fact of that kind of open conversation, the wrong vibe attracting the wrong things.

Any thoughts?

PolaBear
02-23-17, 04:04 PM
Think another way of saying it would be that maybe feeling out of sync can lead to falling into situations and conversations where you express rather than having the perspective to step over.

midnightstar
02-23-17, 04:12 PM
My thoughts are that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not at the expense of calling anyone stupid :grouphug:

Fraser_0762
02-23-17, 04:31 PM
People who call other people stupid, usually don't know what they're talking about themselves.

PolaBear
02-23-17, 04:49 PM
Isn't even a talk I wanted to have but got swept in, right now with things going on have been a bit vulnerable to that. My responsibility.

PolaBear
02-23-17, 06:17 PM
See that you've moved the thread, it's cool, like I said it more the conversation itself than the topic. Feel out of it since, it's not stuff I wanted to express this way.

dvdnvwls
02-23-17, 08:49 PM
It's harder to get out of those conversations than it is to just not get in them in the first place.

But having some "exit strategies" to use, so you can escape if necessary, is far better than feeling like you're stuck there till the end.

Nelson1967
02-23-17, 09:27 PM
Join the groups on facebook who u side with instead please to avoid fights on Hear

20thcenturyfox
02-24-17, 03:43 AM
Join the groups on facebook who u side with instead please to avoid fights on Hear

I think he's observing that he starts into a conversation with some vague idea of being sociable, shooting the breeze, hanging out or bonding with someone, but then gets caught up in the subject or the rhetoric, losing sight of the original purpose of being sociable. Then even if it doesn't deteriorate into name-calling, he feels he let it go on too long, with too much self-absorption, and ends up feeling unsatisfied and puzzled as to what happened to the impulse to connect with his father, and why he let it go off course.

I don't think he's looking to fight on here. This could happen with any subject that contains the seeds of an argument...it just happened to be politics. I, for one, can identify with this sense of good intentions gone wrong.

PolaBear
02-25-17, 05:10 PM
I think he's observing that he starts into a conversation with some vague idea of being sociable, shooting the breeze, hanging out or bonding with someone, but then gets caught up in the subject or the rhetoric, losing sight of the original purpose of being sociable. Then even if it doesn't deteriorate into name-calling, he feels he let it go on too long, with too much self-absorption, and ends up feeling unsatisfied and puzzled as to what happened to the impulse to connect with his father, and why he let it go off course.

I don't think he's looking to fight on here. This could happen with any subject that contains the seeds of an argument...it just happened to be politics. I, for one, can identify with this sense of good intentions gone wrong.

Which is why I explained this in the first part of what I said, it wasn't anything about the topic at all, and it's not a conversation I really have anyway, don't watch the news or read newspapers down to that vibe and energy. Think it was just a time where I fell into the conversation so got talking, but really wanted to step over, again that's not even because of the topic more to do with my own energy.

PolaBear
02-25-17, 05:13 PM

What part of any of this is a fight on here? It ain't even controversial just describing how certain situations have an effect, that' what this forum is for isn't it. I Don't have Facebook anyway.

PolaBear
02-25-17, 05:14 PM
It's harder to get out of those conversations than it is to just not get in them in the first place.

But having some "exit strategies" to use, so you can escape if necessary, is far better than feeling like you're stuck there till the end.

Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with expressing, it's just when it becomes "noise", which is everywhere tbh.