View Full Version : Not sure if this is working...

SouthOfNowhere
02-24-17, 02:45 PM
My doctor gave me a 7 day "trial" dosage of 40mg Vyvanse. It's only a week's worth because she wants to see if this is the correct dosage or whether I need to go to something totally different.

I'm on Day 4 of taking it, and I don't *really* notice much change. I feel like I'm more easily able to make myself focus, I can hold direct eye contact in a conversation without feeling the urge to look away/around. I was working at my computer the other day and got that familiar "I'm bored... HEY! Let's go look at this!" urge in my brain, however I felt like it was more of an annoying thought that I could just push away instead of act on. I feel pretty upbeat, and I also don't feel as much anxiety about some stuff, which is nice.

I don't notice anything in regards to feeling any more organized, though, and I still procrastinate pretty strongly. -Although, to be fair, I don't know if the procrastination is really anything I should expect medication to help with... maybe I just need to work on consciously fighting the urge?

I'm supposed to call into my doctor and let her know how the medication is working for me, but I want to be sure that before I do, I know whether this is the right prescription/dosage for me. I don't want to jump to conclusions and assume I need a stronger dosage if this is all it's supposed to do, but I also want to make sure I'm getting the full effect of the medication.

Is this in keeping with what's considered normal for this medication? Any input is greatly appreciated!

dvdnvwls
02-24-17, 03:17 PM
How To Know: When your symptoms are a lot better. The things that forced you to go to the doctor.

What Doesn't Matter: How you feel doesn't prove anything, unless you feel bad from side effects. For example, it doesn't matter if you feel more organized, because feeling organized doesn't fix anything.

SouthOfNowhere
02-25-17, 01:32 PM
Talked to my doctor's office, and I guess they're going to bump me up to 50mg. I guess overall, I really don't feel like my symptoms are "a lot better", because I still have to force myself to be motivated, and I still need to consciously push myself to pay attention. I am able to more successfully make myself pay attention, but I just kind of feel like the meds should be helping that become something I do naturally without constantly reminding myself to keep paying attention.

I feel like when I'm actually making myself focus on something, I at least have enough impulse control to recognize when I start thinking about something that will distract me and I can at least 'push' the thought away. I still need to really work to force myself to stop procrastinating, and I feel like that struggle has not changed at all. I still follow the same procrastination habit of "Okay, I'll do [thing I need to do] in 5 more minutes. Okay, as soon as I finish doing __________, I'll get to work", etc.

I'd like it if I could just go through the day on a medication that allows me to do what I need to without those thoughts/impulses even forming. I feel like I can recognize my symptoms better, but I still need to force myself to act on pushing them away. I guess my real question here is, will the right dosage of this medication actually do that, or are my expectations too high?

dvdnvwls
02-25-17, 04:30 PM
No medication has any direct effect on procrastination. That is left for you to handle.

All the medication can do for that is enable you to make better use of what you know about how to fix the problem.

sarahsweets
02-26-17, 03:46 AM
"pills dont teach skills". The motivation part comes from you, the meds help you see it through.

SouthOfNowhere
03-14-17, 03:30 AM
Sooooo.... Doc upped me from 40mg to 60mg instead of the 50mg dosage. I felt... okay? Like it didn't affect me in any negative way; but I still didn't really seem to feel any "Aha!" moment where my attention and focus were noticeably different to me. Talking with a co-worker the other day who's a big gear head, he started talking about this old truck he's wanting to fix up and convert into a mobile mechanic's shop, then started talking hydraulic lifts, a rollback flatbed design he's dreaming up, and then a whole lot of stuff that I knew little about. Next thing I know, my eyes glazed over and my mind was a hundred miles away. I caught myself, told myself to pay attention again... then my mind drifted off wondering if the Vyvanse was really helping me if I still couldn't pay attention to something that I didn't follow, and the next thing I knew my focus was completely gone again. -I'm pretty sure if I could have focused and listened, I'd know more about what he was trying to describe and probably could have followed along despite my lack of knowledge about the topic.

Anyway, talked to Doc again today, and she's switching me over to Concerta. I'll start on 18mg, then double up to 36 if I don't feel much of an effect on the 18mg dose. I'm a little apprehensive about a full-on switch, only because emotionally I felt great on Vyvanse. Like, upbeat and in good spirits while I was on it, even if my attention span still wasn't "normal". I didn't take the Vyvanse on a Sunday the previous week because the doctor said it didn't have to be an every day medication. I don't know if it was the lack of Vyvanse or not, but I got super down, kind of mopey, and was in a pretty bleak mood most of the day. If not taking a day's dosage caused that, I'm a little concerned about hitting that same mood on Wednesday, which is Day 1 of the Concerta.

I kind of figured that things like procrastination were more of a personal issue, not something that the medication would magically take away. But I'm still trying to figure out exactly what my expectations for the right kind/dosage of medication should be. Obviously an improvement of my ADD symptoms is what I should be looking for, but I don't know how much of an improvement the medication will really make. I don't want to expect more out of my medication than it's able to provide and unnecessarily get prescribed a higher dose than I need.

Thanks for all the comments and input so far. I've spent so long just living with ADD and doing nothing about it that actually being proactive and treating it is new territory for me. Plus I've never been on any kind of prescription medication for anything other than painkillers when I broke my hand or penicillin when I got strep throat, so this type of medication is also a very new experience. So thanks also for all the patience helping a "n00b" with more questions than he has answers. :)