View Full Version : Should I find another psychiatrist?

ExitMyReality88
02-24-17, 05:04 PM
Hello everyone,

I went to a psychiatrist (I have only seen her 3 times in the span of a year). We've gone through multiple antidepressants combinations. Right now I am taking Prozac and Bupropion.

A month ago was my last visit with her, and I did express that I believe I have the symptoms for ADD-PI. She was pretty dismissive when I asked her if there was any testing I could take to help in verification, nor did she really delve into questions pertaining to ADD-PI. My dx has been major depressive disorder and anxiety (generalized). The very first thing she said was that medications like adderall would make me more anxious and she wants to stabilize my mood first because she would even start talking about ADD. I do understand this, and I have been dutifully taking the antidepressant combination she gave me, which I don't believe has really helped me in any noticeable way--I just didn't like her essentially shutting me down. I do get that sx like lack of concentration can stem from depression and anxiety, but I believe my issues go beyond this. It has been something I have been experiencing for as long as I can remember.

My insurance is through Kaiser Permanente, but I was thinking about finding a psychiatrist that specialized in ADD. I don't know if I should do this? She told me to come back and see her in two months but I don't know if I can wait this long. This has been affecting my work and school and every day life in pretty significant ways, and I have been dealing with this for a very long time, so I just want to rule out things so I can figure out what is going on with me.

Lunacie
02-24-17, 05:56 PM
If you've tried several antidepressants without any benefit, I think it's entirely
reasonable to look for an underlying disorder like ADHD.

Perhaps the psych isn't aware of how often anxiety and depression are comorbid
with ADHD, and how often treatment of the underlying ADHD can relieve the
comorbid issues.

So you've been trying this latest medication cocktail with no improvement, go
ahead and call the psych and ask to do the evaluation for ADHD. If she still puts
you off, switch psychiatrists for sure.

sarahsweets
02-24-17, 06:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I went to a psychiatrist (I have only seen her 3 times in the span of a year). We've gone through multiple antidepressants combinations. Right now I am taking Prozac and Bupropion.
Three times in a year yet trying all kinds of cocktails to treat depression?
Red flag there.

A month ago was my last visit with her, and I did express that I believe I have the symptoms for ADD-PI. She was pretty dismissive when I asked her if there was any testing I could take to help in verification, nor did she really delve into questions pertaining to ADD-PI.
Well there are no tests for adhd yet I suspect the dismissiveness had nothing to do with that and everything to do with what she already diagnosed you with.

My dx has been major depressive disorder and anxiety (generalized). The very first thing she said was that medications like adderall would make me more anxious and she wants to stabilize my mood first because she would even start talking about ADD.
See, this irks me. She is telling you that she wont even discuss something until she "stabilizes" your mood. Well how long is that supposed to take? You have already been working with her for a year with no luck, what does she think is going to magically work in 2 months? And maybe she doesnt know enough about adhd, because anxiety is very common with it and is often relieved with stimulant medication-if she understands how these meds work then she should know this.

I am usually the person here who tells people it could be many things other than adhd. I am usually cautious about people always wanting 'testing" but your doctor doesnt sit well with me. She has no business treating you for a year, seeing you that infrequently and then telling you to wait even more time. Personally, no matter if its adhd or not-I would want another doctor anyway.

Little Missy
02-24-17, 07:28 PM
If I even heard a mention of stabilizing moods, I was done.

GAWD, they love that.

Forget it!

ExitMyReality88
02-24-17, 08:31 PM
If you've tried several antidepressants without any benefit, I think it's entirely
reasonable to look for an underlying disorder like ADHD.

Perhaps the psych isn't aware of how often anxiety and depression are comorbid
with ADHD, and how often treatment of the underlying ADHD can relieve the
comorbid issues.

So you've been trying this latest medication cocktail with no improvement, go
ahead and call the psych and ask to do the evaluation for ADHD. If she still puts
you off, switch psychiatrists for sure.

Yes I agree completely. I can't tell if she is not aware, or she's had too many previous patients that are 'seekers'. One of the main reasons I say this, is because I had asked if there was something she could give me to calm me down on a flight I took across country. I had not been on a plane since I was a child, and the thought of it gave me severe anxiety. She gave me klonopin, but she told me to take a drug test first, which I was fine with doing (sorta). I don't do drugs, I'm not a drug seeker. I was some what offended by her asking me to do this, but I did look it up online and sometimes they will ask you to take these tests for certain medication that have addictive properties.
But I think I will be switching psychiatrists, I will have one more session with her, but she just isn't very helpful or really informative and I can tell she is just "acting" like she is engaged, I can tell she doesn't really care.

ExitMyReality88
02-24-17, 09:05 PM
Three times in a year yet trying all kinds of cocktails to treat depression?
Red flag there.

--Yes, first (with a previous PCP I saw) I was on bupropion(Wellbutrin), she told me to continue it--I told her it one of the side effects (it was making me more irritable than usual but I felt it was too short of a time span to tell) she took me off it and told me to take zoloft and gabapentin. That wasn't really working for me---but I only did it for about 1.5 months I believe. Then she told me to just continue with the zoloft, so I did. I still felt anxiety and my mood hadn't changed much at all and I went to the (Kaiser Permatente PCP) and she game me metoprolol. So I took that for a while don't remember how long, again wasn't really helping me. So now she prescribed me bupropion again with prozac.

Well there are no tests for adhd yet I suspect the dismissiveness had nothing to do with that and everything to do with what she already diagnosed you with.

---Yes, I think you're right to a certain extent. I do believe she is just focusing on the initial dx and not wanting to stray from that. But from what she said, it struck me as more. I didn't mention medication at all, I said I think I may have sx of ADD-PI. And the very first thing that came out of her mouth was how adderall would make me more anxious etc.

See, this irks me. She is telling you that she wont even discuss something until she "stabilizes" your mood. Well how long is that supposed to take? You have already been working with her for a year with no luck, what does she think is going to magically work in 2 months? And maybe she doesnt know enough about adhd, because anxiety is very common with it and is often relieved with stimulant medication-if she understands how these meds work then she should know this.

Yes, that is what irritated me, and why I felt she was being dismissive, because she didn't want to entertain the thought. She'll tell me to come back in two months and if that isn't working, then either increase my dose or give another combo of stuff to take.
I don't know her qualifications but it doesn't strike me that she is knowledgable about ADD-PI at all, she gave me no indication.

I am usually the person here who tells people it could be many things other than adhd. I am usually cautious about people always wanting 'testing" but your doctor doesnt sit well with me. She has no business treating you for a year, seeing you that infrequently and then telling you to wait even more time. Personally, no matter if its adhd or not-I would want another doctor anyway.

Thank you--I think I will try to see another doctor. I am currently a student--and I have been reading more about how students use this to help them study more/better/whatever. She knows that I am a student and in the back of my mind, I feel like she just thinks I am "seeking", it makes me so frustrated. I just want to feel normal....it's been a really long and difficult road of self-hate, feeling like I've failed in every way, feeling so stupid and incompetent, and I am just so tired.

I do recognize it could be something else, and that is what I am trying to figure out. I wouldn't say it is her fault for not seeing me. She has replied to my messages I have sent through the clinic---and it's a combination of they are booked for months, and I did an appointment due to my negligence. I did try to express how I felt over some of the messages I sent, but I feel like she did not address it at all. It essentially boiled down too "Well continue the medications, if it doesn't work/you're experiencing sx, let me know and we will try something else out".

ExitMyReality88
02-24-17, 09:09 PM
If I even heard a mention of stabilizing moods, I was done.

GAWD, they love that.

Forget it!

Yeah. She told me that and then said come back in two months. I can already predict, if I don't have any bad side effects--she will increase the dose and tell me to come back in two months, and if I do, she just give me another combination.

Little Missy
02-24-17, 10:08 PM
I get really opinionated on the mood stability crap. I just start shooting, "How stable are your moods?" "How do you know my mood needs to be stabilized?" "What is WRONG with my mood?" "I LIKE my mood, why should I change it or stabilize it?"

I don't even know why this riles me up so badly, I have not had it happen in YEARS. Nobody asks me about my mood(s) they belong to me. Am I supposed to be a uni-mood?

Probably I do need a mood stabilizer. :lol:

Little Missy
02-24-17, 10:09 PM
Come back in two months my ***.

dvdnvwls
02-24-17, 11:51 PM
I think the stabilizing mood thing is a red herring in this context.

I think the real problem is no results for a year. When you're trying a new medication it needs to be "come back in 2 weeks" or something, not waiting months.

I don't know you. I won't pretend I do. It may be that your anxiety is so bad that treating anything else would be a ridiculous waste of time. But your doctor is going so wrong in not seeing you and not getting any results that even if that was true it wouldn't matter.

Swissy
02-25-17, 07:47 AM
Adderall has been like an antidepressant for me.

SashaBV
03-01-17, 06:24 PM
I think that doctors might be dealing with the whole government pressure going on now to order less drugs with addiction potential by simply not diagnosing ADHD in the first place. My PC also does a similar thing by not taking seriously my back pain, which can get pretty bad. He made it clear that he doesn't order controlled pain meds. My DD is a doctor and admits she never orders any pain med that is controlled, even a mild one. Doctors are wary of a government agency coming after them. Big Brother, you know.

ToneTone
03-01-17, 07:58 PM
If the doctor thinks you have depression, you should be, at minimum, on monthly meetings ... there is no way to adjust cocktails in any real way with just three meetings ...

Heck just one med like Zoloft can be adjusted in dosage from 25mg all the way to 200mg. So a doctor would want to increase the dosage first--and gradually so--unless there are terrible side effects ... and then later consider adding a second med ...

And then with the second med, again, you would go through the process of starting at a low dosage and increasing over time ... to see if it works ...

So strange ... I am certainly prone to some anxiety but stimulants don't increase my anxiety at all ... By increasing my level of functioning, stimulants lower my worry ... and make my life feel a lot more manageable.

Yeah, consider finding another doctor ... and I don't think you necessarily need one with an ADHD focus ... Sure if you can find one with the ADHD focus, great ... But even trying out a random different psychiatrist would be good ...

Good luck.

Tone

Lunacie
03-01-17, 08:55 PM
I think that doctors might be dealing with the whole government pressure going on now to order less drugs with addiction potential by simply not diagnosing ADHD in the first place. My PC also does a similar thing by not taking seriously my back pain, which can get pretty bad. He made it clear that he doesn't order controlled pain meds. My DD is a doctor and admits she never orders any pain med that is controlled, even a mild one. Doctors are wary of a government agency coming after them. Big Brother, you know.

I began seeing a new doctor about a year ago when I got medicare insurance.
He pretty much ignored my back pain as well, saying the meds for migraine
would also help the back pain. Actually they didn't help either issue.

So he was out of office one day and I saw the PA (physicians assistant). She
really listened to me. She asked if I'd ever had an xray of my back. Nope, the
first doctor said it was arthritis (at 25!) and so it's always been arthritis. The
xray showed a broken spur bone in my lower back. Finally an explanation of
40 years of back pain. And a referral to Physical Therapy. Yay!

My friend has back pain as well and recently had surgery. No abatement in
pain for her. She's looking into having a device implanted to send electronic
stimulation to kind of "distract" her back from the pain. She's bringing me
the information on that.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread topic ... although I think our
family psychiatrist has been fine in treating my granddaughter, when I saw
him for anxiety he pretty much blew off the idea that I might have ADHD or
sub-threshold Autism although they are inherited and my grandkids got them
from my genetic family tree.

It can be hard to find any doctor who will really listen to us, but that doesn't
mean we have to keep seeing any doctor who doesn't listen.

sarahsweets
03-02-17, 05:44 AM

I think that its hard to find a doc that isnt concerned about personal liability anymore.