View Full Version : emotional melt down at work

Petite
02-26-17, 06:37 AM
I didn't mean to, but I had another melt down at work.

I know in my head, that I shouldn't cry, but I just couldn't hold back my tears.
Emotionally overwhelmed... feeling bad that I couldn't control myself

Sometimes, being sensitive helps me with my work, sometimes it doesn't...

How do you all deal with emotional sensitivity?

sarahsweets
02-26-17, 07:22 AM
Boy, I can identify.When you are an emotional person, sometimes people can assume you are weak or a pushover. People assume you are a cry baby. People assume that you cant handle anything. I dont know how to advise you. I know that I have gotten better at letting things get the best of me for sure. I dont know the context of what you are talking about though. Can you provide more details?

midnightstar
02-26-17, 07:29 AM
Personally, I come very close to actual meltdowns at work but I learned from childhood to "shut down" during the meltdown so instead of crying I just don't respond to other people because it just doesn't register that they are there :o

Petite
02-27-17, 07:34 PM
Thank you Sarahsweets and midnight star.

I work as a practice nurse at a general practice. I can't get into detail of it, but there was a discussion to discontinue a clinical procedure offered at our practice due to certain risks.
Half hour later, my senior started talking about needing to change what we had agreed on.

She got really frustrated with me that I did not feel okay about it. I felt strongly about what we discussed prior to it and felt my opinions weren't taken seriously when she brought up the whole subject suggesting the decision should be overturned.
I tried to tune out, and we agree to stop talking about it in the end.

Then, my husband called me and asked me if I was alright and I just couldn't stop crying the moment I heard him say if I was alright. He knew I was so stressed out at work.

My senior heard me sobbing in my room, and she apologised on bringing up the stuff we had already agreed on.

She told me to stop crying, but I couldn't stop immediately.
She said I wouldn't last this job if I was letting things get to me this way and how I should toughen up. I wish I had some control over my emotions... She is not the first person to tell me that I am too sensitive. I do a pretty good job of picking up on other people's emotions, and it will help me do more holistic assessment and hopefully interventions...but at the same time, my colleague says that I am trying to save the whole world.

I look up to her and I learn so much from her, so it saddens me that she feels that way about me and I know being sensitive and emotional is part of who I am and I don't think I can manage changing that anytime soon. I had this trouble my whole life....

That was last Thursday. My other colleague has noticed that I am not acting like myself for the last few days. I hope I will start to feel okay soon. I took a day off today to take my daughter to doctor's appointment.