View Full Version : 11yr old started waking up at 3am every day!

sambodidly
02-27-17, 07:07 AM
Hi

My 11yr old son has ADHD/Aspergers and has always woken up early, (5.30am - 6am) BUT now he's taken to waking up at 3am and staying up!

He shouts me in and I lay with him but he just doesn't go back to sleep and say's (once he's up he's up!)

Its affecting him, although he doesnt think so!

He's on 40mg of Equasym XL per day.

Any advice would be much appreciated, i'm exhausted!

S x

sarahsweets
02-27-17, 07:12 AM
What time does he go to bed? How much sleep does he get?

sambodidly
02-27-17, 07:50 AM
Hi

He goes to bed at 9pm.

He's always had a routine, bath/pj's/chill from 8pm and then bed at 9pm.

He has light music and a light as he's scared and nothing has changed other than him waking at 3am ish.

S x

Fraser_0762
02-27-17, 08:45 AM
Does he take any naps during the day? Or is it just the 6 hours of sleep he recieves at night?

sambodidly
02-27-17, 08:58 AM
No he doesn't sleep in the day, just the sleep at night.

He goes to bed at 9pm but often isnt asleep until 9.45 - 10pm and I'm worried he's not getting enough and/or don't want him up at 3am.

S x

Fraser_0762
02-27-17, 09:06 AM
What time of the day is he given the Equasym?

sambodidly
02-27-17, 09:09 AM
He has 40mg in the morning around 7am before breakfast.

Fraser_0762
02-27-17, 09:11 AM
Sorry, I know it's question after question. But how was his sleep before starting the Equasym?

sambodidly
02-27-17, 09:43 AM
Fraser thats ok, ask away, any help is much appreciated!

My DS has always been an early waker and even on the Equsaym he's been ok, its the last few weeks that the early rising has started. DS has been on Equasysm XL 40mg since last year.

Fraser_0762
02-27-17, 10:06 AM
Has there been any recent changes to his daily routine? Or possibly a change in diet?

Caco3girl
02-27-17, 11:03 AM
My daughter went through this for a while, and she's not on any meds. I gave her firm rules such as:

1. You can come out of your room to go to the bathroom or get something to eat/drink, but you can't wake anyone else up unless there is a problem.
2. You can have these things to drink and or eat (I made a special section in the fridge for her).
3. You can watch TV in your room but only if it's on low.

I really emphasized that other people in the house needed their sleep and just because SHE was up didn't mean we had to be up. I suspect she was going through a growth spurt and was waking up hungry....or she thought it was fun to come wake me up. Once I took that game away from her she settled back down and or handled it herself.

sambodidly
02-27-17, 12:28 PM
Fraser........ No change in routine. DS is an anxious child and i'm wondering if this is in part to blame?

Caco......My DS is scared and wouldn't dare go downstairs to get a drink/food. I go into him and lay with him for upto an hour but he will not fall back off to sleep. He's wide awake then wants to watch TV / Xbox as he's bored!

I've said tonight we are taking his 'tech' from his room to see if this helps.

Clutching at straws and exhausted.....

Thanks

Caco3girl
02-27-17, 12:33 PM
Fraser........ No change in routine. DS is an anxious child and i'm wondering if this is in part to blame?

Caco......My DS is scared and wouldn't dare go downstairs to get a drink/food. I go into him and lay with him for upto an hour but he will not fall back off to sleep. He's wide awake then wants to watch TV / Xbox as he's bored!

I've said tonight we are taking his 'tech' from his room to see if this helps.

Clutching at straws and exhausted.....

Thanks

There could be a box of non-refrigerated drinks and food put in his room.

I don't know your son, and you know him better than anyone, but you need your sleep too. I would work on that being the end goal rather than his sleep.

DJ Bill
02-27-17, 12:44 PM
Any chance he's getting online before sleeping? Or using a TV, or other things with a screen? Or there are changes in habits like this?
I've read somewhere that those sorts of things can mess up your sleeping...Iknow I can't be online and then go right to sleep, I don't function that way.

dvdnvwls
02-27-17, 02:21 PM
You say he's anxious in general...

I wonder if there's something he's anxious about that's keeping him from sleeping. Remember that he could be anxious about what seems to you like the most ridiculous kinds of things. Maybe he hasn't told you because of fear.