View Full Version : Newly diagnosed with ADD

Nicole E
02-28-17, 04:40 PM
Hey everyone!

I am a mother of an 8 year old boy who has been newly diagnosed with ADD. I was not shocked by this by any means, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to help him.

Academically, he is great, but he has always had social issues. There are a lot of children where we live, and he is only friends with one. The others pick on him, and don't seem to want to play. In fact, they pick on him quite often. His outbursts of anger obviously don't help the situation. I know he is hurt, and I have no idea how to help. I have observed him, and I know that he frequently tries to control situations to get them to play what he wants to play (his imagination is constant), and they have little to no interest in his games. Does anyone else struggle with something similar to this??

Danibee
02-28-17, 05:27 PM
We have similar social issues with Daughter(9). She interacts with people with her full personality, and doesn't understand "personal space" or why people don't want to play with her. She tries to get her own way, but will eventually concede occasionally. We are lucky in our neighborhood in that we live has a small circle with one road in and out. The kids play together as a pack and stay in the circle. There's no traffic and everyone knows everyone on the circle. By them sticking together (from ages 8 - 14) it helps meld her personality with the rest of the group. She doesn't seem to stick out as much.

Does your son play in informal groups with the kids in your neighborhood?

dvdnvwls
02-28-17, 05:47 PM
Has he had any experience with activities where interaction is lower or more controlled? I'm thinking of my own experience with music, or any other things where individual and one-on-one predominate, or when there are groups it's not a free-for-all. Even individual things done in group settings with rules, such as martial arts or dancing or... well, lots of things.

Caco3girl
03-01-17, 09:55 AM
My ADHD son has a powerful personality. He channeled it into baseball and has become a very good teammate and player. Sports guys are usually over the top and the amount of ADHD players in baseball is way above the average amount found in the general population. Have you tried an organized sport?

sarahsweets
03-01-17, 10:01 AM
Hey everyone!

I am a mother of an 8 year old boy who has been newly diagnosed with ADD. I was not shocked by this by any means, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to help him.
I just want to acknowledge and commend you on being so willing to help your son. Not all parents are willing or ready.

Academically, he is great, but he has always had social issues. There are a lot of children where we live, and he is only friends with one. The others pick on him, and don't seem to want to play. In fact, they pick on him quite often. His outbursts of anger obviously don't help the situation. I know he is hurt, and I have no idea how to help. I have observed him, and I know that he frequently tries to control situations to get them to play what he wants to play (his imagination is constant), and they have little to no interest in his games. Does anyone else struggle with something similar to this??

I can identify personally. My kids didnt suffer with this too much but I did. I dont know when things just changed one day for me, but they did around 8th grade. I wasnt popular but I wasnt the outcast. ironically I was kind of ahead of my peers in a way because I guess I was able to talk about higher concept type things and I liked to read. I always had older friends. It seemed that my classmates just caught up to me in middle school.