View Full Version : New here

FlipperTheWhale
02-28-17, 08:23 PM
Hello all!

I stumbled across this forum while trying to understand some things about myself. I was considering the possibility that I might have a touch of Asperger's, but then discovered the symptoms for ADHD-I fit me very closely.

I would love to figure out how to gain some motivation to do basic things that I neglect. I live in a house alone and cannot keep the place organized to save my life. I have piles of stuff, organized by important to less important.
Clothes never get put away, but are piled on my desk. Every once in a while I can get something somewhat organized, but it never lasts.
Of course the yard is the same. Can keep grass cut, but shrubs get out of control. It gets overwhelming sometimes.

I am creative in many ways, but have trouble keeping the fire burning. Too many other things I like to do. No medications other than very small dose of allergy medicine to help sleep.

So basically, anyone deal with this and have ideas?

Thanks for your time

willow129
02-28-17, 08:34 PM
Welcome Flipper! Yes I can relate to what you posted. Very much so. Am trying to squeeze iPad into the space between various piles on my kitchen table at the moment!
And am procrastinating as well of course...
I use to do lists and online organizers (kanbanflow) and website blockers to help me break stuff down into smaller tasks and not be tempted to get distracted with other less important things. I try to do what I can to minimize distractions but it feels like ANYTHING can turn into a distraction. I have been diagnosed with ADHD primarily inattentive so I am on medication as well which helps me be more likely to use my organizational strategies - though it's still difficult.
Breaking stuff down into smaller tasks does help to keep things from feeling overwhelming. Keeping track of what you are actually able to accomplish and how you were able to do it is a good idea so you can use those strategies on purpose in the future...

Letching Gray
02-28-17, 10:59 PM
Too many other things I like to do.

Enjoy doing what you like to do. Let the house go. Who cares, you know? If/when organizing your place becomes something you really want to do, you will.

FlipperTheWhale
02-28-17, 11:17 PM
Breaking stuff down into smaller tasks does help to keep things from feeling overwhelming. Keeping track of what you are actually able to accomplish and how you were able to do it is a good idea so you can use those strategies on purpose in the future...

That sounds good. Just cleaned a counter in the kitchen yesterday and caught myself recreating the mess today. I became aware of it and cleaned it back before it got out of control again. I think awareness might help

FlipperTheWhale
02-28-17, 11:24 PM
Enjoy doing what you like to do. Let the house go. Who cares, you know? If/when organizing your place becomes something you really want to do, you will.

That is already my attitude and it eventually gets me overwhelmed. But maybe you are correct. I do want to change it, so maybe I can follow through. I think it will give me more discipline in my creative ventures. I can think/dream and clean.

Letching Gray
03-01-17, 12:14 AM
That is already my attitude and it eventually gets me overwhelmed. But maybe you are correct. I do want to change it, so maybe I can follow through. I think it will give me more discipline in my creative ventures. I can think/dream and clean.

"An inch is a cinch" is my mantra. Seen me through college and a zillion other things.

Have you seen "What About Bob?" Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss. On taking "baby steps". A must see.

Lou Ferrigno was a skinny weakling when he first started body building at age 12. He didn't become 6'5' 320 lbs in 5 days. Only by doing a little bit at a time did he work himself into a monster.

Letching Gray
03-01-17, 12:47 AM
That sounds good. Just cleaned a counter in the kitchen yesterday and caught myself recreating the mess today. I became aware of it and cleaned it back before it got out of control again. I think awareness might help

Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!! Dig it. Congratulations. That is awesome baby!!!
:goodpost::yes::):):):D:D:D:D;););):goodpost::good post::goodpost::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::ye s::yes::yes:

ToneTone
03-01-17, 08:03 PM
In the initial stages especially but also just in general, it is not unusual to have to continually straighten up ...

Yes, the holy grail is to be able to keep things neat and clean and straight, but the reality is for many people--keeping order requires a minor straightening each day ...

Don't let that get you down ... Super neat and organized people also take a few minutes each day to order things ... yes, they also try to keep things from getting disordered in the first place, but they also take time to straighten up after the fact.

Keep rolling.

Tone