View Full Version : Thunder and Lightning ....Oh My ! ...

salleh
03-01-17, 02:52 AM
......I spent my childhood years around thunderstorms .....but we moved to California when I was 9 .....and left those storms back in the midwest ....

....Thunder and lightning storms are extremely rare in Cal...so I have enjoyed the ones I have experienced while here in Michigan ....

...But tonight, boy we have and are still having a doozy of a storm ....we've hardly had any snow this winter ....2 smallish storm, and snow on the ground for little more than a week ....

....but nearly 5 hours ago a thunderstorm with almost continuous thunder and lightning came and parked itself over the town of St. Joseph, MIchigan and is still very lively out there .....the first strike I noticed I counted to 5 and then thunder hit ....so it was already close ...and since then ....the thunder rolls within a couple of seconds of the lightning strike .....

.....in the time that it took to write this .....we've had about 6 or 7 different strikes ......

....and as we don't really have a porch to sit on to watch, we can best see the storm by sitting in the living room, and the lightning starts at the front window and withing milliseconds both the biggest windows in the house are lit .....the light is bright enough to see the outlines of the large trees off to the west .....

...It's kind of freaking me out as I have never been in a storm that has lasted this long .....thunder and lightning storms around here are usually fairly short lived ....

....aaannnnnd ....after nearly 5 hours ...the largest strike just hit ...

....OK going now .....gotta go find a bed to hide under ...heh .

excelsior
03-01-17, 03:31 PM
Another storm fan! Pleased to meetcha! Still under the bed?

midnightstar
03-01-17, 03:42 PM
You're not the only one who hates thunderstorms, salleh :grouphug:

Little Missy
03-01-17, 07:55 PM
I like standing right out there in them. I love the smell and the feel of it all.

Lunacie
03-01-17, 09:40 PM
On radar it just looks like rain, but it's a big ol' storm and not moving very
much. Pretty much got the whole state of Michigan covered. KWCH dot com
radar only shows the last two hours. Crikey! five hours and counting!