View Full Version : Tolerance and doseage

Lucascript
03-01-17, 08:27 PM
I am 28 years old and have taken adderall for the last twelve years.

I currently take 80 mg and it still isn't enough for me. It was plenty many years ago when I was in college, but tolerance to a drug can drastically reduce its effectiveness and that is when dosage needs to be increased. I am going to ask my doctor for 100mg a day when I see him this week. 110 mg/day if he is willing.

I am more familiar with the effects of adderall than most of the other hooligans who judge people on these threads, even though they have never taken the medication. They have not gone through the awful, hellish withdrawals, or the severe depression that comes along with not taking enough of the medication after depending on it for years and years.

This drug absolutely makes you dependent on it, especially after taking it for an extended period of time. The funny thing is, people see the word "dependent" and think it's a bad thing. Depending on something that helps you is a good thing. You should depend on things that help you. The only unfortunate thing is when your dependent on a medication and you cannot depend on your doctor to get it to you on time and in the right amounts. Most of the people who post on threads about the max dose of adderall couldn't be depended on to tie their own shoe.

Sure, I wish I could have the normal domamine levels in a normal human mind, but guess what, I don't. My mind requires a much higher level of dopamine to function properly. So what do I do...I take as much amphetamine as is necessary to be a happy, normal, alert human being. My doctor is excellent and I honestly think he will boost me to 100. I take adderall to feel like a happy normal person, not to get high. I need it because my brain is dopamine deficient in the first place. Now I am tolerant of the drug and reliant on it.

When you've taken adderall as much as me, you know what your body needs. At that point any good psychiatrist will listen and learn from your suggestions before prescribing a dosage that is too low. All I have to say is make sure you have a back up plan if your doctor screws something up. The withdrawals will bring you to the lowest depths of your soul. It's a good idea to set aside a few days worth of pills in a separate bottle that you save for emergencies. Everyone makes mistakes, doctors being as busy as they are make many of them. As I said before, I only take as much as my body needs, but for those "snooty Judy's" out there who want to judge, me go for it.

Today, 100-110 mg would be the perfect amount for me. I am certain of it. Certain I can depend on this medication to keep me happy and alert in the years to come if supplied at the right dose. Oh, and Don't forget to set some pills aside for emergency.

sarahsweets
03-02-17, 05:23 AM
I am 28 years old and have taken adderall for the last twelve years. I currently take 80 mg and it still isn't enough for me. It was plenty many years ago when I was in college, but tolerance to a drug can drastically reduce its effectiveness and that is when dosage needs to be increased. I am going to ask my doctor for 100mg a day when I see him this week. 110 mg/day if he is willing. I am more familiar with the effects of adderall than most of the other hooligans who judge people on these threads, even though they have never taken the medication.
No one has judged you on this thread yet.

They have not gone through the awful, hellish withdrawals, or the severe depression that comes along with not taking enough of the medication after depending on it for years and years. This drug absolutely makes you dependent on it, especially after taking it for an extended period of time. The funny thing is, people see the word "dependent" and think it's a bad thing. Depending on something that helps you is a good thing. You should depend on things that help you. The only unfortunate thing is when your dependent on a medication and you cannot depend on your doctor to get it to you on time and in the right amounts. Most of the people who post on threads about the max dose of adderall couldn't be depended on to tie their own shoe.
Why insult anyone without giving anyone a chance to respond?

Sure, I wish I could have the normal domamine levels in a normal human mind, but guess what, I don't. My mind requires a much higher level of dopamine to function properly. So what do I do...I take as much amphetamine as is necessary to be a happy, normal, alert human being. My doctor is excellent and I honestly think he will boost me to 100. I take adderall to feel like a happy normal person, not to get high. I need it because my brain is dopamine deficient in the first place. Now I am tolerant of the drug and reliant on it. When you've taken adderall as much as me, you know what your body needs. At that point any good psychiatrist will listen and learn from your suggestions before prescribing a dosage that is too low. All I have to say is make sure you have a back up plan if your doctor screws something up.
How long have you taken adderall? I have taken it for over 15 years.

The withdrawals will bring you to the lowest depths of your soul. It's a good idea to set aside a few days worth of pills in a separate bottle that you save for emergencies. Everyone makes mistakes, doctors being as busy as they are make many of them. As I said before, I only take as much as my body needs, but for those "snooty Judy's" out there who want to judge, me go for it.
For someone who doesnt want to be judged, you seem like you are judging.

PaulCamR
03-03-17, 02:13 AM
I will begin by clarifying language. This isn't judgment of you. I am addressing a technicality which may help communication. I think there are two different contexts of the word "dependent". In context 'A', it means that you are relying on the medication. In context 'B', it means you are addicted to the medication. I wouldn't go up to someone and say "I am dependent on my ADHD medication". I think that leaves a lot up in the air for interpretation.

I hear your frustrations, but I also hear a less than positive tone, lots of frustration and venting? I'm not sure about these messages: of storing extra, knowing better than a doctor, and discrediting a doctor for not prescribing the amount you want. I can understand what you mean about each point, but since the topic is such a serious one, each point probably requires careful explanation. For example, storing extra medication could be fair (ex. a few days because you can't always run to refill a prescription right away), or it could be cause for concern (ex. storing up extra every month). The latter could get someone into some real trouble.

You posted in another thread calling people "[a] Bunch of dumb sheep" if they disagree with you about dependency on medication. I understand for the purposes of posting on a forum, you're not writing an essay with every audience in mind. I try to look at anything I rely/depend on in life, and evaluate those things every once in a while. My diet, my sleep patterns, things I do to relax, my medication, my vitamins/supplements, etc and so on. Some things that I rely on have breaking points, and if they keep becoming more demanding in my life, I have to more carefully evaluate those things. I just quit most gaming for good because it was consuming parts of my life, and I foresaw a breaking point. I would look at poor eating habits, or poor sleeping habits, in the same way I look at my medication: If my needs continually increase, and there are adverse effects that are continually becoming a greater cause for consideration, then more frequent and more major evaluations are in order.

I'll share a story. I hope you don't consider me as dumb sheep. I'm here to share words of self-reflection, not judgment. My little brother said something similar about marijuana. It's decriminalized in most or all of Canada. Our Prime Minister is pushing for legalization. It has medicinal qualities. My little brother was dependent on it. He said it made his life better. He said he needed it to function, to sleep, to be happy. He is schizophrenic now. He threw his dopamine balances out of whack, and he reached a breaking point. He spent about 10 years smoking marijuana, weed oil, hash (nothing else), and over time he needed more and more. He spiralled. The worst thing he did was he shut people out, discredited any opinion that was contrary to his own, and kept pushing to higher levels of dependence. He told me that he didn't feel high on weed, just normal. More didn't mean he'd get higher, but his 'normal' kept on requiring more marijuana. He couldn't see the path he was on, though.

I share all of this because I think it is important to remain optimistic and open. For anyone who is utilizing a substance, or really relying on anything that has potential side effects, it's extremely beneficial to keep an open mind. Not everyone out there is helpful and kind, that's for sure. That's life, though. There are many people, however, that will share a totally different view that is not entirely compatible with yours, who may be worth listening to. I try to listen to anyone who is caring and helpful, and I try to ground my perspective as much as I can.