View Full Version : Could I have ADD?

SimoneJae
03-02-17, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently found out about the condition ADHD, and now I cant stop thinking about it, and if I have it. I have always had problems with paying attention, especially in class. Since I started university I have often googled concentration problems, but never found an answer to why it is so difficult to pay attention. Recently I googled in english for the first time (I'm danish), and came across ADHD - inattentive.

As a child I was usually described as lazy, slow, distant, spacey, forgetfull and caught up in my own world. And I really hated all this about myself, and was always trying to change. Furthermore I have never EVER done any homework (except math). Even though I always thought it was very important, and always tried to convince myself to do it.

I have the following symptoms:

- Always daydreaming and space out (mostly in class or meetings). Even when I try really hard not to, it is usually only a matter of seconds before it happens.

- Forgetfull and confused. (But I dont forget things all the time)

- trouble staying organized, even though I really want to. (But my apartment usually looks ok though).

- Making A LOT of careless mistakes in my schoolwork, and usually getting lower grades than the people i'm helping out.

- Proscrastinate everything to last minute.

I spend pretty much every day going to class, and get depressed because my mind keeps wandering and I dont learn anything. Then I go home and spend the rest of my day trying to get started on some schoolwork, but I end up watching youtube videos or binge researching some random questing. Then go to bed. EVERY SINGLE DAY! And I hate myself for wasting my life, just because i'm too lazy to get things done.
When I do start working on something, I have a hard time staying on task.

I asked my parents if they thought I could have ADHD. My dad said that all of these "symptoms" were perfectly normal, everyone feels like this. My mom said, that she could difinitly see how the symtoms fits me, but since I'm taking a matersdegree (and never failed anything), it couldn't be that bad. Both told me to just let it go.

And thats just it. Can a person get a masters degree in math, and still have ADHD? I make it througt the exams, but with lower grades than people with equal intelligens.

I'm also not late for anything, unless I get lost (I have a terrible sense of directions). But I am often half an hour early for things.

Is it possible that I could have ADHD - inattentive? Or am I just being lazy?

traze23
03-02-17, 10:15 PM
Sounds like ADD to me, talk to your dr. about your options for treatment.

userguide
03-03-17, 07:40 AM
You're being lazy.

Just kidding. It's possible that you have it!

By the way, I've recently watched a documentary about a Danish school for children with ADHD, and the teachers were so clueless...That was very sad, they should have only sing in here :)

sarahsweets
03-04-17, 07:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently found out about the condition ADHD, and now I cant stop thinking about it, and if I have it. I have always had problems with paying attention, especially in class. Since I started university I have often googled concentration problems, but never found an answer to why it is so difficult to pay attention. Recently I googled in english for the first time (I'm danish), and came across ADHD - inattentive.
How early did you notice these symptoms?
how impairing are they. Generally adhd symptoms must have been present before the age of twelve and impair your life in 2 or more ways in 6 or more areas of your life. (lunacie correct me if I am wrong. You have told me like three times but I always switch the numbers).

I have the following symptoms:

- Always daydreaming and space out (mostly in class or meetings). Even when I try really hard not to, it is usually only a matter of seconds before it happens.

- Forgetfull and confused. (But I dont forget things all the time)

- trouble staying organized, even though I really want to. (But my apartment usually looks ok though).

- Making A LOT of careless mistakes in my schoolwork, and usually getting lower grades than the people i'm helping out.

- Proscrastinate everything to last minute.

These symptoms can be adhd or a host of other disorders.

I spend pretty much every day going to class, and get depressed because my mind keeps wandering and I dont learn anything. Then I go home and spend the rest of my day trying to get started on some schoolwork, but I end up watching youtube videos or binge researching some random questing. Then go to bed. EVERY SINGLE DAY! And I hate myself for wasting my life, just because i'm too lazy to get things done.
When I do start working on something, I have a hard time staying on task.

Again, be open minded to the fact that adhd can mimic other disorders, like bipolar.

I asked my parents if they thought I could have ADHD. My dad said that all of these "symptoms" were perfectly normal, everyone feels like this. My mom said, that she could difinitly see how the symtoms fits me, but since I'm taking a matersdegree (and never failed anything), it couldn't be that bad. Both told me to just let it go.

Parents can be a double edge sword. On one hand they can usually shed light on your childhood and school days. On the other hand they can feel like you are blaming them, and feel guilty that they missed something, and be resistant to seeing things your way.
They can be dismissive-or totally on your side.
Saying that someone who does well in school or gets a degree is BS. Is basic misinformation to think that higher education precludes you from having adhd.

if you do have adhd, then you are not lazy. If you have it you have a disability.
You need to see a qualified doctor for a diagnosis. There are no tests for adhd but there is a thorough evaluation and history that is gone over.

Johnny Slick
03-04-17, 10:08 AM
Just to add to what sarahsweets is saying, if you do have ADHD there's a very strong genetic component to it so your dad's characterization that "everyone goes through this" could be that *he* goes through this, if you catch my meaning.

SimoneJae
03-04-17, 12:07 PM
Thank you for your answers! I have been like this since I was a child, I think most of it was actually a lot worse, when I was younger.
Today my biggest problem is that I am completely unable to focus, I have no control over where my mind goes. One time I almost caused a car crash, because I completely zoned out while driving.
And that I cant seem do get anything done.

It is funny you mention that it could be genetic. People always told me, that I was just like my father. Confused, forgetful and distant. But also smart.

When I asked my mom about paying attention, she said that it is possible to decide to pay attention, if you think something is important. (That is not true for me). I ask my dad the same thing, and he said that is it not possible to control where your mind goes. So maybe he could have it to. If of course that is what I have :)

Anyway, I booked a time with the doctor, and now I am extremely nervous about that, because I kind of hope that I have it. So that when I mess up (which I do a lot), it is not just because I am an idiot, and dont take things seriously enough.