View Full Version : Help! New Diagnosis and Adderall

zolscody
03-02-17, 01:05 PM
Hello everyone:) (sorry kind of long)
I am a (soon to be 40yr old) female that has struggled with mental health issues for YEARS. I've seen a variety of psychiatrist/therapist and in 2007 was given the diagnosis from a doctor that it was Bi-polar 2. So I was on a cocktail of Prozac, Lamictal, Seroquel for sleep. I always went back to my appointments saying how anxious I also felt. Then they would change my doses.

Last year (2016) was one of the worst years I've had. I was depressed, unmotivated, horrible brain fog and choking anxiety. My new GP suggested I see this new psychiatrist, who wasn't taking new patients, but he would see me as a favor to my GP. The new psychiatrist is a flipping genius. He first conducted a DNA/Genetics test that showed what meds metabolize correctly in my body. AND it also showed that I have the MTHFR gene mutation which means my body barely produces serotonin (hence the feeling of depression)

After a long chat, he wondered if a majority of my anxiety issues actually came from being severely ADD. No one, after ALL these years, even thought to bring that up. I always struggled in school and I fit the all the ADD questions perfectly. He said a lot of the symptoms of ADD are often confused with bi-polar symptoms. So this week he started me on Adderall.

Right now I have a love/hate relationship with it. I take 20mg in the morning around 7:30-8 and then again at around 12-1. For about the first 2 hrs I feel completely relaxed and zen, but then I get crabby and sad/depressed. I'm still not sure how well my focus is and I will procrastinate A LOT. I also feel very tired when on it, like I could sleep. He told me that I would need the higher doses of 20mg because of how my body is metabolizing it. I HATE the crash and it feels like a yo-yo. Not a manic feeling at all, just very irritable and sad. I KNOW that when the medication is in "effect" it's working, but I only get 2 hrs-3 if I'm lucky. I also can't eat, I literally have to force food down my throat. It's are to make dinner for my family when food is the LAST thing on my mind. I did call the doctor about it and he said he really wants me to try to stick it out a few more days. I really want this to work because I think he finally nailed it on the head. It's just going to be about which meds and dosage work.

Any thoughts would be so appreciated!!!!

sarahsweets
03-03-17, 05:15 AM
The new psychiatrist is a flipping genius. He first conducted a DNA/Genetics test that showed what meds metabolize correctly in my body. AND it also showed that I have the MTHFR gene mutation which means my body barely produces serotonin (hence the feeling of depression)

What kind of genetic test?

Right now I have a love/hate relationship with it. I take 20mg in the morning around 7:30-8 and then again at around 12-1. For about the first 2 hrs I feel completely relaxed and zen, but then I get crabby and sad/depressed. I'm still not sure how well my focus is and I will procrastinate A LOT. I also feel very tired when on it, like I could sleep. He told me that I would need the higher doses of 20mg because of how my body is metabolizing it. I HATE the crash and it feels like a yo-yo. Not a manic feeling at all, just very irritable and sad.

I guess Im confused as to why you would need a higher dose when it seems like the 20mg 2x a day is already bothering you? Very often when you feel these things it is dose related. But usually these things are related to the dose being too high.

I KNOW that when the medication is in "effect" it's working, but I only get 2 hrs-3 if I'm lucky. I also can't eat, I literally have to force food down my throat. It's are to make dinner for my family when food is the LAST thing on my mind. I did call the doctor about it and he said he really wants me to try to stick it out a few more days. I really want this to work because I think he finally nailed it on the head. It's just going to be about which meds and dosage work.

Again, it does sound like too high of a dose. Have you considered going lower?

zolscody
03-03-17, 04:01 PM
Hi Sarah-
The genetics test is called Genesight. They use it to see what medications your body can metabolize according to your genetic/DNA makeup. It's a simple swab test.

It showed that my body cannot properly convert the compound that Folic Acid makes to create serotonin in the body. It's a MTHFR mutation.

Adderall (along with most of the stimulate meds) ranked on the list that my body would need a higher dose to metabolize. However, today I tried a different method. Doctor wanted me to take 20mg in the morning and 20 at 12-1ish. BUT I couldn't handle the crash. So yesterday I took 10mg at 7:30, 10mg at 10:30, 10mg at 1:30 and then another 10mg around 4. I found the transition (especially in the afternoon/evening) to be A LOT smoother. I've also discovered I only get about 3 hrs out of a single does before I start to feel the crash.

Something else I'm just finding out/realizing. Is that I better have what I need to get done in front of me when the Adderall kicks in or it so won't happen lol. Example, I was focused, but it was on Facebook instead of my writing lol. I know it's a learning curve and helps SO much with my anxiety. But the crash is brutal.

dvdnvwls
03-03-17, 07:51 PM
Making sure you eat properly all day, staying hydrated, and timing your final dose properly, all help with crashing. If you can't eat breakfast and lunch, you are pretty much guaranteed not to function.

Having the final dose be smaller than any other, also could help with crashing.

sarahsweets
03-04-17, 07:59 AM
Hi Sarah-
The genetics test is called Genesight. They use it to see what medications your body can metabolize according to your genetic/DNA makeup. It's a simple swab test.

It showed that my body cannot properly convert the compound that Folic Acid makes to create serotonin in the body. It's a MTHFR mutation.

Adderall (along with most of the stimulate meds) ranked on the list that my body would need a higher dose to metabolize. However, today I tried a different method. Doctor wanted me to take 20mg in the morning and 20 at 12-1ish. BUT I couldn't handle the crash. So yesterday I took 10mg at 7:30, 10mg at 10:30, 10mg at 1:30 and then another 10mg around 4. I found the transition (especially in the afternoon/evening) to be A LOT smoother. I've also discovered I only get about 3 hrs out of a single does before I start to feel the crash.

Something else I'm just finding out/realizing. Is that I better have what I need to get done in front of me when the Adderall kicks in or it so won't happen lol. Example, I was focused, but it was on Facebook instead of my writing lol. I know it's a learning curve and helps SO much with my anxiety. But the crash is brutal.

I have heard about these genetic tests and I know someone has mentioned this before but.. is the science there to specifically back up the claims that these tests can predict what meds to prescribe?

zolscody
03-04-17, 03:04 PM
I know that they have done the Genesight tests for a long time. I heard about it more for cancer patients because they try to match the type of chemo that would work best with their bodies.

I think the Genesight test are "newer" in the field of psychiatry. But my doctor has been using it for a long time and he's the first doctor (after 20+ years) that has found out the serotonin issues. A week after starting the Deplin, I felt like a new person.

The list of medications come in 3 different columns. Ones that your body can metabolize normally (meaning you will do well at suggested dose). The middle column is medications that your body would need higher doses to metabolize correctly and the last column is medications that could possibly make you sick if taken.

It measures everything from anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, mood stabilizers, pain medication and ADHD medication. All of the "stimulants" were in the middle column which means that by body would need higher doses to work "properly". It DOES NOT indicate if there would be side effects per medication. For example, I've tried Vyvanse and it did nothing for me until I got to 70mg and had negative side effects. Basically, it's just a "blueprint" for your body. :)

Postulate
03-04-17, 11:50 PM
Hello everyone:) (sorry kind of long)
I am a (soon to be 40yr old) female that has struggled with mental health issues for YEARS. I've seen a variety of psychiatrist/therapist and in 2007 was given the diagnosis from a doctor that it was Bi-polar 2. So I was on a cocktail of Prozac, Lamictal, Seroquel for sleep. I always went back to my appointments saying how anxious I also felt. Then they would change my doses.

Last year (2016) was one of the worst years I've had. I was depressed, unmotivated, horrible brain fog and choking anxiety. My new GP suggested I see this new psychiatrist, who wasn't taking new patients, but he would see me as a favor to my GP. The new psychiatrist is a flipping genius. He first conducted a DNA/Genetics test that showed what meds metabolize correctly in my body. AND it also showed that I have the MTHFR gene mutation which means my body barely produces serotonin (hence the feeling of depression)

After a long chat, he wondered if a majority of my anxiety issues actually came from being severely ADD. No one, after ALL these years, even thought to bring that up. I always struggled in school and I fit the all the ADD questions perfectly. He said a lot of the symptoms of ADD are often confused with bi-polar symptoms. So this week he started me on Adderall.

Right now I have a love/hate relationship with it. I take 20mg in the morning around 7:30-8 and then again at around 12-1. For about the first 2 hrs I feel completely relaxed and zen, but then I get crabby and sad/depressed. I'm still not sure how well my focus is and I will procrastinate A LOT. I also feel very tired when on it, like I could sleep. He told me that I would need the higher doses of 20mg because of how my body is metabolizing it. I HATE the crash and it feels like a yo-yo. Not a manic feeling at all, just very irritable and sad. I KNOW that when the medication is in "effect" it's working, but I only get 2 hrs-3 if I'm lucky. I also can't eat, I literally have to force food down my throat. It's are to make dinner for my family when food is the LAST thing on my mind. I did call the doctor about it and he said he really wants me to try to stick it out a few more days. I really want this to work because I think he finally nailed it on the head. It's just going to be about which meds and dosage work.

Any thoughts would be so appreciated!!!!

What serotonin agent do you take with Adderall?