View Full Version : are boosters usually the same drug but different dosage and release form?

baical
03-03-17, 04:30 AM
Is it unheard of of anyone taking Vyvanse with Adderall? Just curious how boosters work. So if one is on Adderall XR, their booster would be Adderall IR? Is it never different drugs (Adderall with Vyvanse, etc?).

PaulCamR
03-03-17, 04:43 AM
I use Adderall XR, but if I needed a booster, I'd probably talk to my doc about Ritalin instant release. Adderall IR isn't offered in Canada.

Typically a booster is the same drug as you're already taking.

dvdnvwls
03-03-17, 05:01 AM
It would be more normal and usually better for the two drugs to be the same or at least quite similar. But for example Vyvanse with Adderall booster would not be totally wrong because they at least share mostly the same active ingredient.

baical
03-04-17, 01:50 AM
I think 5 of the amphetamines in the market share same or similar active ingredient. I think Vyvanse is closer to Dexedrine than Adderall is but Adderall isn't too much difference.

It would be more normal and usually better for the two drugs to be the same or at least quite similar. But for example Vyvanse with Adderall booster would not be totally wrong because they at least share mostly the same active ingredient.

baical
03-04-17, 01:51 AM
What a combo. Ritalin and Adderall, I'd be interested if anyone's ever prescribed such a combo.

I use Adderall XR, but if I needed a booster, I'd probably talk to my doc about Ritalin instant release. Adderall IR isn't offered in Canada.

Typically a booster is the same drug as you're already taking.

PaulCamR
03-04-17, 03:31 AM
What a combo. Ritalin and Adderall, I'd be interested if anyone's ever prescribed such a combo.

I think it could potentially work just fine. If one works better than the other, though, there's probably no point in combining them.

But for the purposes of extended coverage throughout a day, I think there's merit there.

sarahsweets
03-04-17, 05:32 AM
I think it could potentially work just fine. If one works better than the other, though, there's probably no point in combining them.

But for the purposes of extended coverage throughout a day, I think there's merit there.

Do ritalin and adderall work exactly the same? Is their mechanism of action similar?

PaulCamR
03-04-17, 08:32 PM
Do ritalin and adderall work exactly the same? Is their mechanism of action similar?

I can't claim to be an expert, but from what I've read, there are some similarities. The layman's understanding I have is that methylphenidate effects the brain differently, but the end result is that it acts on 1 of 4 or 5 of the pathways that Adderall acts on. It doesn't act on those pathways the same way, but the result of the action is similar (on the one particular pathway). It was explained better by a doctor who was presenting to other doctors in a YouTube video. I'm butchering the explanation.

I find both are effective for me (Ritalin and Adderall), and I have had a transition day in which both (prescribed meds) were used in smaller quantities. Based on that one day, I'd say the combination was no more or less effective than separate. I would imagine that if one Methylphenidate medication works well for something, and an Adderall medication works well, that treatment with both in some way might make sense. I've tried looking this up, but haven't read much on it (other than the "they don't work synergistically, it's one or the other" bits of information). They certainly don't seem synergistic in the sense of both being better because of the other, but I think they might work additively (if you need X of one and X of another, roughly half of both might be similar). I would love to read a study on this, since my opinion holds no weight... *and* I don't know about safety when both are taken, regardless of quantities, long-term.

In terms of boosters though (not combining, but using one in order to extend treatment of ADHD during a day), I do think that this potentially makes a fair bit of sense. That is, if the person responds well to both medications already as-is. The logic behind that would be to reduce tolerance build-up of one or the other. Again, I don't know if tolerance build-up would be mitigated or not.

My personal opinion between Methylphenidate and Adderall (how they effect me alone) has been that Adderall feels more normal. Methylphenidate (in any form) makes my face feel a bit cold even though it's not cold, kind of a chemically induced state feeling. But it's not bad. I don't ever feel like a zombie, I feel like myself regardless. The bad thing about Methylphenidate was that in the form of Concerta (trickled over the day), I felt really weird in the 12th hour. Like I was in a state of weird anxious thought loops (nothing psychotic or anything like that), just less than comfortable. Shorter acting I think works better for me (Biphentin was very similar to how Adderall XR feels, delivery is similar too), but I didn't spend much time with Biphentin. Since Adderall lasts longer, I require half the amount for that longer duration, and the effects are more natural.

baical
03-27-17, 07:56 PM
Paul, do you think Adderall penetrates the brain a bit better than the other medicines or it varies from person to person? I've read this about Adderall, Desoxyn, and Evekeo, but not so much about Vyvanse or Dexedrine.

dvdnvwls
03-27-17, 09:38 PM
Adderall and Dexedrine and Vyvanse will all penetrate the brain about the same.

PaulCamR
03-28-17, 06:36 PM
Paul, do you think Adderall penetrates the brain a bit better than the other medicines or it varies from person to person? I've read this about Adderall, Desoxyn, and Evekeo, but not so much about Vyvanse or Dexedrine.

I would like to clarify that I am just speaking on hunches and pseudoscience ideas. Everything I said is based on my best guesses.

From what I've read, Adderall lasts longer than Methylphenidate in the system. I know anecdotally that Methylphenidate leaves my system quicker, and it's easier to sleep at night sooner after taking Methylphenidate than with Adderall.

In the end, if one works better for you than the other, than that's what you go with. But if both work well for you (which is certainly possible), that is what I was getting at.

sarahsweets
03-29-17, 03:47 AM
I take adderall xr with a dex ir booster. They are two different drugs but are both amphetamines.