View Full Version : Just prescribed desoxyn how should I feel?

Drakescake
03-03-17, 12:58 PM
Well I found a new psychiatrist that I love...Very understanding...I asked for desoxyn and he gave it to me..How am I supposed to feel on this medication? What's the max dose you can take in a day?
Thanks all!

dvdnvwls
03-03-17, 03:33 PM
You should act better and feel nothing at all. That's how it's supposed to work. If you're not acting better, your dose is too low. If you feel something, your dose is too high.

That was the ideal. In reality, you hope there's a dose where you act mostly better and you feel not very much.

Little Missy
03-03-17, 05:46 PM
Well I found a new psychiatrist that I love...Very understanding...I asked for desoxyn and he gave it to me..How am I supposed to feel on this medication? What's the max dose you can take in a day?
Thanks all!

Just read the dosage and the instructions on the bottle from your doctor.

Fraser_0762
03-03-17, 06:04 PM
Motivated

dvdnvwls
03-03-17, 06:19 PM
None of the possible medications actually help with motivation.

Fraser_0762
03-03-17, 06:25 PM
None of the possible medications actually help with motivation.

Disagree. Anything that increases Dopamine levels in the brains reward system will increase the feeling of motivation. It's not just about helping people to focus on tasks, but to actually get started on them in the first place.

dvdnvwls
03-03-17, 06:28 PM
Which of the medications have you taken, Fraser?

sarahsweets
03-04-17, 05:18 AM
Thanks all!

Unless you doc already prescribed you the max dose, you dont need to wonder about what the max dose is. Unless you plan on taking more than prescribed and are looking for that answer because you dont want to harm yourself.

Postulate
03-08-17, 10:34 AM
Thanks all!

The maximum dose you can take is clinically known as an overdose or dose inducing death. This can be anywhere above 100mg IR single dose oral for amphetamine naive users. Some a-naive people die taking 150mg, others can survive 200mg+. Depends.

The maximum therapeutic dose you can take would be around 30mg/day. Taking more than prescribed by your doctor is considered abuse.

b3nault
03-26-17, 11:30 PM
I was on 25mg/day, just recently switched back to dex spansules.

My temper slightly decreased whilst on desoxyn, but was still too short. Lack of empathy was also an issue. I've tried it for a years time on 2 separate occasions, but just wasn't for me.

Good luck!

chronological
03-27-17, 11:09 PM
Thanks all!

I'm new to it myself and am in the middle of titrating, so here's what I know.

How are you supposed to feel?
Well I can tell you how *I* feel, and I'll also compare it with how I felt with Vyvanse. With Vyvanse, even when I hit my therapeutic dose, I felt, as dvdnvwls said, absolutely nothing. I just turned into a focus machine. It was really quite bizarre (albeit very welcome). I was also extremely motivated -- but that was not a feeling per se. Hard to describe the whole thing really. Those who know will understand :-)

With the Desoxyn, as I titrate up, it's a little different. I'm feeling ever so slightly tense/jittery, like I've had too much coffee. And while the focus is definitely there, it's nothing like what it was with Vyvanse. My appetite is also seriously suppressed, which also happened with Vyvanse. And I've been sweating a bit more than normal, but I'm also recovering from a bad cold so the sweats may be unrelated to the Desoxyn. Oh, and I'm a guy and, well...things shrink , or at least appear to :-) (It's just vascoconstriction, which is common with stims. If you are too, and it happens, don't worry.)

I should note that although I agree with dvdnvwls in that you can have effectiveness without feeling anything, I disagree that if you do feel something then the dose is too high. It's more subtle than that, and it depends on what you're feeling, how intense it is, and so on. As with the rest of this, talk to your doc. Titrating to the right dose is a team effort.

Maximum Dose
Well first, and as per usual, go by your doc's instructions. To all intents and purposes, the maximum dose you should take in a day is the maximum dose he/she told you to take in a day.

Now for what it's worth, the FDA guidelines are that "The usual effective dose is 20 to 25 mg daily." But that is merely a guideline and is overridden by whatever your doctor tells you**.

Unfortunately, in my case, my doc hasn't actually specified an upper number. Instead I've just to keep going up until I hit efficacy. That said, part of why he's said that is because he knows me, he's said it's likely I'll need more than the 25mg, but also knows I'm smart enough not to gobble down 1000mg of the stuff! So as far as my titration is concerned, this morning I took 40mg, and then another 10mg mid afternoon. (NOTE: I am very overweight; BMI over 40. That's another reason he's OK with me pushing up above 25mg) Tomorrow I'll probably just go for the full 50mg in the morning and see how that goes. But I then don't plan to go above 50mg at all without checking back with the doc***.

All that said, the lack of information on this stuff is very frustrating. All I've been able to find are the FDA guidelines and in my case at least they simply don't apply. I've asked elsewhere on the forum for any credible input on Desoxyn dosing above 25mg but so far I've had none.

Good luck!

---

** Note also that it is phrased only in terms of what is "[usually] effective", and not as in, for example, Vyvanse, where a "maximum dose" is specified. Regardless, those are all general government guidelines and are overridden by your doctor's instructions. (For example, in my case I needed 140mg of Vyvanse; double the FDA's "maximum" of 70mg.)

*** And even if he says I can keep going I'm also going to check with my insurance. The government and the doc are only two of the three Guardians Of The Medicine. In my case, I also have to get past Blue Cross Blue Shield, and it wouldn't surprise me if they had a cap at 25mg. If that's the case, there's no point titrating up past that.

Sickle
06-28-17, 09:20 AM
I took it during the shortage in 2011 at 60 mg and it was worthless. Dexedrine worked better