View Full Version : Anyone using caffeine pills for ADD kids??

elibrarian
03-03-17, 08:57 PM
Greetings,

I am weary (missed work and expense) of going to monthly appointments for ADD meds and just wondering if I am doing the right thing with prescription stimulants. This is day 2 of Vyvanse and he says it is making him angry. When he is not taking meds Monster drinks and caffeine seem to help. Has anyone found a source for time released caffeine--he can't drink Monster at school (yet). He is a very stocky 13. Just some caffeine may do the trick. . . or why not Sudafed daily. Seriously is that any worse than ritilin or the others?

Thanks!

Emily

Postulate
03-03-17, 10:02 PM
To summarize, your son is 13, you think it would be a good riddance if he stopped taking meds because it's making him angry anyways, so might as well give him caffeine pills and Monster drinks, did I get this right? How many Monster drinks does he take per day?

You see, your son is 13, he has no judgement, he may want to drink 10 Monster drinks per day...he's just a kid. But what would YOU say about that? Do you have any idea what filth they put in those drinks and how many died drinking these?

http://www.tmz.com/2017/01/14/monster-energy-drink-sued-death-caffeine/

When it comes to the caffeine, no there's no XR to my knowledge but you can break the pills in half or however much you need and take every 3 hours. Tell your doctor you're doing this.

dvdnvwls
03-03-17, 11:45 PM
If caffeine worked at all, you can be sure that all of us here would have stopped taking ADHD medication long ago and just drink coffee or take caffeine pills instead.

The reason we're not doing that is that we've tried it and it doesn't work. Not even sort of. It doesn't help.

sarahsweets
03-04-17, 05:37 AM
Plus, medication is given under the supervision of a doctor, caffeine isnt.

sarahsweets
03-04-17, 05:38 AM
Greetings,

I am weary (missed work and expense) of going to monthly appointments for ADD meds and just wondering if I am doing the right thing with prescription stimulants. This is day 2 of Vyvanse and he says it is making him angry. When he is not taking meds Monster drinks and caffeine seem to help. Has anyone found a source for time released caffeine--he can't drink Monster at school (yet). He is a very stocky 13. Just some caffeine may do the trick. . . or why not Sudafed daily. Seriously is that any worse than ritilin or the others?

Thanks!

Emily
I get it that monthly appts are draining both mentally and financially. If your son had a physical illness and you had to see a doctor monthly wouldnt you?

dvdnvwls
03-04-17, 03:27 PM
I strongly agree with Sarah. ADHD is not like a hair style that you stop wearing because it's taking too much time and money to keep up. Your son doesn't have the choice to stop having ADHD, and I don't believe you should take for yourself a choice to stop getting this problem treated properly.

BricksAreHeavy
05-29-17, 10:38 AM
I've been dousing myself with caffeine, specifically monster AND caffeine pills to try to feel "normal" as I'm not on ADHD meds at the moment. I've even resorted to pseudoephedrine in hopes of finding some relief but it doesn't work in the same way, mainly because any type of "stimulation" that helps ADHD has been removed from this medicine because of the increase in drug manufacturing (primarily meth). I absolutely think medication under the supervision is the right way to go.

Personally, it seems to me that inconsistent forms of self-medication (even though these aren't what most people think are "drugs") are a bad habit to get into, the only reason why I'm resorting to this currently is because my pdoc is not treating me for my ADHD diagnosis.

I think it would be beneficial to see the doctor and find out a medication and dosage that works and will not increase your son's anger. It may take a few tries, but in the end, there will be less ups and downs.

I realize I'm a little late on this post, but I hope something has worked out for you and your son.

Fuzzy12
05-29-17, 10:44 AM
I could be wrong hut isn't excess caffeine bad for kids (and not just because it makes them hyper). Or is thst just an old wives tale? We were not allowed to drink coffee orcaffeinated tea till about 14.. the same time when my dad let me have little sips of beer from his glass..:scratch::lol:

Anyway I'd be really careful. I don't think caffeine especially in large amounts is completely harmless. Your son is probably safer with taking meds under the supervision of a qualified doctor.

Caco3girl
05-30-17, 09:11 AM
1. The Dr. Appointments don't necessarily have to be a burden on your work time. I was able to call around and find a Dr. who took people from 5pm-9pm.

2. There are many options for prescription plans as well, if you know you will have mental health visits often find a plan with a lower co-pay for that medical issue.

3. My experience has been once the doctor finds a medicine that works they give you a 2-3 months supply of prescriptions so you don't have to come in monthly.

4. Vyvanse didn't work for my kid either, you shouldn't have to wait for a full month to tell the dr that and try a different medicine.

5. Monster and other energy drinks have been listed as the cause of death on many cases. There are several states trying to make them controlled substances like cigarettes and alcohol because of the dangers.

6. Many sports at high schools and colleges have banned them and the 5 hour energy drinks. If they are banned by athletes that should tell you how bad they would be for a kid. Japan has banned them in their professional baseball league. They promote dehydration and kidney damage according to several reports.

7. Doctors are doctors because they have more knowledge and understanding of the human body that the average person. I do NOT try to treat my kids strep throat with home made penicillin I grew on some mold and I wouldn't attempt to treat his ADHD myself either.

sarahsweets
05-30-17, 09:23 AM
I do NOT try to treat my kids strep throat with home made penicillin I grew on some mold and I wouldn't attempt to treat his ADHD myself either.
But I love home-grown moldy antibiotics!