View Full Version : does lack of drive have anything to do with hormonal imbalance?

baical
03-04-17, 02:26 AM
I was told testosterone gives drive in men. I'm not sure what does in women. So is it possible that hormones have anything to do with lack of drive in ADHD? I'm not saying we should start popping steroid pills but I think if one lacks these hormones it's time to look into it. I've asked around on steroid forums but all I got were sarcastic roidhead responses. I don't think they're in it for the medicinal benefits but rather the physical side of it (bulking). Not all steroids are for bulking so I've been looking around for which ones could give me such a drive. If anyone here looked into Proviron, it was said to be very mild and was even used successfully for bi polar and depression patients.

dvdnvwls
03-04-17, 12:16 PM
If a person thought they had a hormone imbalance, they would go to their doctor and discuss that possibility.

Unfortunately, the sarcastic responses were not from roid rage, they were just signalling that this is not the right question.

Cyllya
03-07-17, 01:59 AM
What kind of drive do you mean? In the context of ADHD, I thought you might mean initiation impairment versus "motivation," but I have not heard of testosterone or other hormones affecting that. Granted, initiation impairment is not something that gets a lot of attention or research.

Low testosterone can cause fatigue or "low energy," which is kind of similar. Also depression and other mood problems. Also it can cause low "sex drive," so is it possible whoever said this about testosterone just dropped the adjective?

For women, I know low testosterone causes low sex drive. I'm guessing all the other problems are the same too.

I've had my hormones checked, and it was all normal except that my testosterone was weirdly high. (Not high enough to be a problem.)

baical
03-15-17, 11:19 AM
how do you get your hormones checked? My doctor don't even how to get on with this, not sure if it's my insurance or what. I don't even think insurance covers this? So how do I get my hormones checked?

fisherfisher
03-15-17, 09:34 PM
how do you get your hormones checked? My doctor don't even how to get on with this, not sure if it's my insurance or what. I don't even think insurance covers this? So how do I get my hormones checked?

What kind of doctor did you ask? My primary care doctor checked my hormone levels with a blood test when I had ed as a side effect of medication. Everyone knew it was probably a side effect but wanted a precautionary check.

My levels were normal but I don't have "low drive" issues. I'm passionately driven to do alot of things, but I have poor initiation, planning, and follow through issues.

fisherfisher
03-15-17, 09:41 PM
Insurance covered it also, but I also had a symptom which clearly justified a test which is standard for the diagnoses.

baical
03-22-17, 03:26 PM
I don't have ED. So having ED would indicate I get my hormones checked then?

fisherfisher
03-22-17, 08:06 PM
I don't have ED. So having ED would indicate I get my hormones checked then?

:doh: I'm not suggesting you fabricate a symptom. I'm just telling you the circumstances that prompted the blood test to check hormone levels and subsequent insurance coverage in my case. I didn't go in expecting or asking for a blood test, I simply had a problem and one of the ways to diagnose the problem included checking hormones. I think you are going about this backwards. Most doctors wont give you a test based on your own medical theories.

baical
03-27-17, 07:52 PM
then again Proviron isn't available in the U.S...

dvdnvwls
03-27-17, 09:41 PM
Drug availability is not the point.

It seems you are playing doctor, and doing quite a poor job at it. Please just go to your doctor when there's a problem - you'll have much better results.

fperkins33
04-27-17, 12:29 PM
I was told testosterone gives drive in men. I'm not sure what does in women. So is it possible that hormones have anything to do with lack of drive in ADHD? I'm not saying we should start popping steroid pills but I think if one lacks these hormones it's time to look into it.

In terms of hormones and ADHD and women, estrogen is the player, not testosterone. There's a lot more research being done now on the intermess between menopause and adhd, for example. But so far none of the pcps I've had to deal with are the least bit informed or interested about the influence of hormonal fluctuations on the efficacy of meds during the menstrual cycles. It's just easier for them to think: woman=hysterical. And not all of my pcps have been men either.

I'd love to find a pcp who would work on the whole picture, but I live back of beyond.

fperkins33

baical
04-29-17, 03:13 PM
well estrogen is to women and testosterone is to men. I think men with too much of their male hormones are subtle hysterical as well.

In terms of hormones and ADHD and women, estrogen is the player, not testosterone. There's a lot more research being done now on the intermess between menopause and adhd, for example. But so far none of the pcps I've had to deal with are the least bit informed or interested about the influence of hormonal fluctuations on the efficacy of meds during the menstrual cycles. It's just easier for them to think: woman=hysterical. And not all of my pcps have been men either.

I'd love to find a pcp who would work on the whole picture, but I live back of beyond.

fperkins33

baical
04-29-17, 03:13 PM
better results :giggle:

Drug availability is not the point.

It seems you are playing doctor, and doing quite a poor job at it. Please just go to your doctor when there's a problem - you'll have much better results.

sarahsweets
04-29-17, 04:23 PM
I was told testosterone gives drive in men. I'm not sure what does in women. So is it possible that hormones have anything to do with lack of drive in ADHD? I'm not saying we should start popping steroid pills but I think if one lacks these hormones it's time to look into it. I've asked around on steroid forums but all I got were sarcastic roidhead responses. I don't think they're in it for the medicinal benefits but rather the physical side of it (bulking). Not all steroids are for bulking so I've been looking around for which ones could give me such a drive. If anyone here looked into Proviron, it was said to be very mild and was even used successfully for bi polar and depression patients.

Dealing with such important hormones on your own is not what I personally would do. There are too many variables that can be messed with. As far as testosterone in women, its very important-it is one of the important bits that affects our sex drive. i would question any sort of claim that a steroid, legal or illegal could treat bipolar and depression patients.

sarahsweets
04-29-17, 04:24 PM
better results :giggle:

So you think that you have a better shot at diagnosing and treating a problem than a doctor would?

mildadhd
05-01-17, 01:45 AM
When I read this thread discussion it reminds me that I need to learn more about the differences between dopamine the hormone and dopamine neurotransmitter in the brain and body, neuropeptides, etc.

It is interesting that the opening poster mentioned roid rage because I read some research that ADHD medication may inhibit the rage system? (Which is interesting because when I take some fast acting ADHD medication it wares off faster and I sometimes would feel irritable) (slower release wares of slower and I am usually more aware that I am feeling irritable before irritablity becomes a problem).

I have never read about Proviron before, but I am guessing symtoms hormonal imbalances might at least mimic some symptoms of ADHD?

Hopefully I will get a chance to study the topics more in depth ?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

m

Greyhound1
05-01-17, 01:56 AM
What I find interesting is that my T-levels have over doubled since beginning adderall 4 years ago. They went from borderline low to well into the normal range for my age a couple of years ago.