View Full Version : Positives and negatives on Adderall so far

zolscody
03-04-17, 03:19 PM
Hello, everyone. I'm come to realize that I have a love/hate relationship with Adderall. When I take it and it's "working", all my anxiety disappears, my stream of thought are more clear, my writing in more fluid (I'm an author). It's a little weird to get used to this "new person" I become. I never knew how severely ADD I was until I got on this medication. Forever I was told it was bi-polar and my new doctor suspects just severely ADD and high anxiety.

BUT, it's hard trying to figure out doses, when to take it to avoid crashes, splitting the doses etc. I know it's going to take a while to figure it out, but I work about a few things.

1) that I will never be able NOT to take it (take a "vacation") because my symptoms are too severe without it

2)I will become TOO dependent on it because it makes me feel "normal". My last dose wore off at 8pm and I couldn't wait until the next day so I could start over.

3)Trying to manage the crashes. I'm experimenting (with doctors permission) dose amount, times etc. I just can't exceed 40mg a day. I'm keeping a tight log about when and dosage to see what works best. So far I've noticed that no matter the dosage, I get 3 hrs on it and then I crash.

I also take Prozac, Lamictal and a very low dose of Seroquel for sleep. I've been on that cocktail for YEARS. I also have Kolonpin as needed.

I'm wondering if the XR would be a better option? Which do you prefer? XR or IR?

Thank you!!

Swissy
03-04-17, 05:57 PM
I prefer my 10mg IR twice/ day to the 20mg XR option. This gives me more control to take my 2nd dose when I need it as opposed to the XR releasing the 2nd dose for me. I work a demanding job with weird hours, so sometimes I try to go home and lay down before my 2nd dose. More times than not I either skip the 2nd dose or take only half. On rare occasions I'll take a 3rd dose (I was approved to take 30mg but do not on a regular basis- whenever I do this I feel completely grumpy and tired by the end of the day.) Also when I tried the XR it made me feel motivated to get through tasks in an organized manner and finish each job, however I felt very zombie like, as if gravity was turned up on me when I stopped moving/ working. I would very easily zone out if I was deterred from what I was doing in any way.

That being said we will all have different experiences on each, you might have a different experience than I did.

Lizzie80
03-09-17, 01:43 AM
Hello, everyone. I'm come to realize that I have a love/hate relationship with Adderall. When I take it and it's "working", all my anxiety disappears, my stream of thought are more clear, my writing in more fluid (I'm an author). It's a little weird to get used to this "new person" I become. I never knew how severely ADD I was until I got on this medication. Forever I was told it was bi-polar and my new doctor suspects just severely ADD and high anxiety.

BUT, it's hard trying to figure out doses, when to take it to avoid crashes, splitting the doses etc. I know it's going to take a while to figure it out, but I work about a few things.

1) that I will never be able NOT to take it (take a "vacation") because my symptoms are too severe without it

2)I will become TOO dependent on it because it makes me feel "normal". My last dose wore off at 8pm and I couldn't wait until the next day so I could start over.

3)Trying to manage the crashes. I'm experimenting (with doctors permission) dose amount, times etc. I just can't exceed 40mg a day. I'm keeping a tight log about when and dosage to see what works best. So far I've noticed that no matter the dosage, I get 3 hrs on it and then I crash.

I also take Prozac, Lamictal and a very low dose of Seroquel for sleep. I've been on that cocktail for YEARS. I also have Kolonpin as needed.

I'm wondering if the XR would be a better option? Which do you prefer? XR or IR?

Thank you!!

Never taken the IR myself, but had 2 years on Vyvanse before switching to Adderall XR. XR left me without the awful crash I experienced on Vyvanse (which despite a fairly high dose, wore off after 3 hours IF it ever showed up at all). I do take 2 doses of XR a day, but I can wait up to 6 hours between taking doses if I want to. Even if I didn't take my 2nd dose I would just experience a reemerging of my ADD symptoms, not a nasty comedown like Vyvanse always brought on.

No matter what ADD med you're on you will have to be attentive to your health to experience the best results and minimize crashes. That is pretty common sense stuff and has been discussed ad nauseum on the forums so I won't rehash here.

I've had lifelong anxiety issues. I've found Adderall helped the last area of my life really affected by the issue, my job. I can focus, stay on task, work on one thing at a time without getting overwhelmed...at the age of 36, this is a huge deal. My attendance, efficiency metrics and quality + quantity of work done have all improved. Because I no longer feel overwhelmed and exhausted by work, I'm putting in my full 40 hours and am finally earning my full paychecks accordingly. I really wish this medication had been in my life from a young age as this was a problem that's haunted me since grade school.

I completely understand what you're saying about how you feel when the dose wears off in the evening. I despise the loss of productivity, the energy "normal" people still have after work (which I never had), and how blah I'd feel. I'm my best on ADD medication. Obviously I want to be able to get a full night's sleep ever night and enjoy some downtime each day. However. I spent so many years wasting my potential unintentionally that I hate to be less than my best for several hours each day. I like that XR taken twice a day improved upon all of this for me. I still get plenty of sleep and take time to relax. It's not perfect and I'm not perfect but it's a heck of a lot better than it used to be. I sincerely hope that if you try XR, you have the same experience.

Just continue to celebrate the little victories you experience with ADD medication daily and keep it in perspective.

sarahsweets
03-10-17, 05:31 AM

If you need medication, then you need it. You do not need to feel bad because of this. No one who wears glasses or uses insulin feels bad about needing it. If you symptoms are severe then its great that you have a medication that makes them less severe. Its not a bad thing, its a good thing. Being dependent on medication is not the same as abusing it or being addicted. I am dependent on my bipolar med cocktail and I do not feel bad about it. There is no reason to feel bad about stimulants just because they are a controlled substance.

And thats ok. It just means you will need more frequent smaller doses throughout the day.

I have absorption issues so IR didnt work for me. I take multiple doses of xr throughout the day.
The total amount I take is broken up into a very strict consistent regimen that I follow and its the same way everyday, regardless of what day of the week it is, or what I am doing.

Snoopy10
03-11-17, 11:00 AM
I take Adderall IR 10mg 3x/ day (your dr will need to prescribe it as 2 doses each day to get insurance to cover it). For me, overlapping the doses helps (I take 10 mg at 5:00 am, 10 mg around 8:00am and 10 around 12:30 pm) - no crashes during the day and if needed I have a little coffee around 2.

Don't worry about never being able to go off it. Your life perception may change over time, mine did. I see myself a lot differently than I did almost 3 years ago when I was diagnosed. I do take breaks from Adderall but only when I feel like it.

ToneTone
03-12-17, 12:08 PM
I take the XR and I love it ...

I've tried the IR several times ... and just the challenge of figuring out the right times, especially for the second dose in the afternoon, just overwhelmed me ...

But no disaster in anyway ... so one day I might come back to trying the IR again ...

But the XR is simple: I take it after I wake up in the morning. Boom done.

I don't have a problem with crashing ... make haven't undereaten ... because that's an issue ... if I underatet and the med wears off, I would be off kilter. But that happened more for me with Vyvanse, not Adderall XR.

One possibility at some point for you is to ask the doctor to try to XR ... and see how that works ... to possibily add an IR booster so that your come down at end of day is easier ....

My philosophy is to not worry about "dependence." Instead, focus on doing great things for yourself, whether reading or exercising or meditating or going for walks ... listening to music ... The more you build good habits on the med (and this is my view), the stronger you will be without the med. That's not my way of staying stop the med ... But rather use the med to do all the "natural" good things ... and that's the irony of course. Taking stimulants for me (and I assume for others) makes it easier to exercise, and do other good things for myself.

Good luck. Sounds like you are really being thoughtful ...

Tone

cwf1986
03-13-17, 01:46 AM
I like the adderall xr better. I have no idea why, but it feels less like 'being on something' and more just symptom relief. It doesn't come up as fast or go away as fast.

Even so, I still get a crash from that alone so I take 5mg adderall 8 hours after the xr and instead of a crash landing into below baseline, I gradually glide down for about 4-6 hours and make a soft landing at, not below, baseline. The adderall takes 30 min before it helps and stops helping 14-16 hours later including the booster. It's perfect for me.

I also take nortriptyline (kind of, sort of, like strattera) and intunive which both give me adhd relief 24/7. These two help almost 100% with focus, sustained attention, restlessness, and excessive emotionality. They also help me go to sleep which were issues pre-stimulant and made worse by the stim. Even with the adderall, with those meds I still go to sleep better than pre-adderall days.

The only things they lack that stim gives is conscientiousness and motivation, granted those are big things.

It took me nearly 1.5 years to get it figured out and at this point I don't want to tinker around with it anymore. I'm satisfied.

Good luck!

sarahsweets
03-13-17, 04:17 AM
I take the XR and I love it ...

I've tried the IR several times ... and just the challenge of figuring out the right times, especially for the second dose in the afternoon, just overwhelmed me ...

But no disaster in anyway ... so one day I might come back to trying the IR again ...

But the XR is simple: I take it after I wake up in the morning. Boom done.

I don't have a problem with crashing ... make haven't undereaten ... because that's an issue ... if I underatet and the med wears off, I would be off kilter. But that happened more for me with Vyvanse, not Adderall XR.

One possibility at some point for you is to ask the doctor to try to XR ... and see how that works ... to possibily add an IR booster so that your come down at end of day is easier ....

My philosophy is to not worry about "dependence." Instead, focus on doing great things for yourself, whether reading or exercising or meditating or going for walks ... listening to music ... The more you build good habits on the med (and this is my view), the stronger you will be without the med. That's not my way of staying stop the med ... But rather use the med to do all the "natural" good things ... and that's the irony of course. Taking stimulants for me (and I assume for others) makes it easier to exercise, and do other good things for myself.

Good luck. Sounds like you are really being thoughtful ...

Tone

I would love it if I could just take a dose of the xr and have that be good for the day! I am always envious of those who get to do this. Me, I have to take multiple doses of the xr everyday but its a habit now so its not so bad.