View Full Version : Need medication advice

rthrwz
03-05-17, 01:26 AM
I have been diagnosed with ADD and Bipolar and have been on Lamotrigine for the past few months. My anxiety and mood have more or less stabilised, but I still have symptoms that are difficult to pinpoint exactly what I'm suffering from. I am not on any ADD meds because my doc wanted to focus on my bipolar issues first. The issues I'm having are all over the place and I'm really not sure if it is my bipolar or ADD that are causing me these problems.

The symptoms I'm experiencing are mostly Inattention based as opposed to Impulsivity/Hyperactivity (although I fidget a lot and move around). Basically, the effects of drinking caffeine (energy, focus, attention) make me feel normal but ever since I quit it (which helped my mood immensely), I feel very zoned out and not "in the moment" all the time. I think that most of my issues are dopamine related.

I have been looking at Vyvanse and Strattera, but am not sure which one is more suitable for me. I feel like my issues are more fatigue related so Vyvanse would help me more since it is a stimulant and Strattera may decrease energy (serotonin related?), and my mood cycling issues are more depression-based as compared to mania (rarely get these now). Would appreciate advice from those suffering from ADD and bipolar concurrently.

sarahsweets
03-05-17, 09:12 AM
I have been diagnosed with ADD and Bipolar and have been on Lamotrigine for the past few months. My anxiety and mood have more or less stabilised, but I still have symptoms that are difficult to pinpoint exactly what I'm suffering from. I am not on any ADD meds because my doc wanted to focus on my bipolar issues first. The issues I'm having are all over the place and I'm really not sure if it is my bipolar or ADD that are causing me these problems.

The symptoms I'm experiencing are mostly Inattention based as opposed to Impulsivity/Hyperactivity (although I fidget a lot and move around). Basically, the effects of drinking caffeine (energy, focus, attention) make me feel normal but ever since I quit it (which helped my mood immensely), I feel very zoned out and not "in the moment" all the time. I think that most of my issues are dopamine related.

I have been looking at Vyvanse and Strattera, but am not sure which one is more suitable for me. I feel like my issues are more fatigue related so Vyvanse would help me more since it is a stimulant and Strattera may decrease energy (serotonin related?), and my mood cycling issues are more depression-based as compared to mania (rarely get these now). Would appreciate advice from those suffering from ADD and bipolar concurrently.

Do you take anything else for bipolar other than lamictal? I am BPII and I take a lamictal, and and SNRI( cymbalta) Buspar for anxiety and Geodon which is an AAP for mood swings and sleep. I take adderall for the adhd. IMO and my opinion only, bipolar treatment must always include some kind of antidepressant in addition to a mood stabilizer, otherwise its sort of like half targeting the problem. Its good to get the bipolar in check first but the adhd can be just as brutal, just in a different way. Can I ask why you have thought about vyvanse or stratterra instead of something else?

rthrwz
03-05-17, 08:16 PM
Do you take anything else for bipolar other than lamictal? I am BPII and I take a lamictal, and and SNRI( cymbalta) Buspar for anxiety and Geodon which is an AAP for mood swings and sleep. I take adderall for the adhd. IMO and my opinion only, bipolar treatment must always include some kind of antidepressant in addition to a mood stabilizer, otherwise its sort of like half targeting the problem. Its good to get the bipolar in check first but the adhd can be just as brutal, just in a different way. Can I ask why you have thought about vyvanse or stratterra instead of something else?

I have had bad experiences with antidepressants in the past. I have been very cautious with medication ever since, even before taking lamictal. I would like to avoid antidepressants at all if possible, and seeing as my mood is pretty stable right now, I figured that I'd deal with my add issues. I did some research and vyvanse and strattera seem to have the least adverse side effects so I'm hoping to try some to see if it helps with my symptoms