View Full Version : Thinking of going back to school unmedicated

Jenn1202
03-05-17, 11:57 AM
I graduated 3 years ago with two degrees in computer science but due to medical issues I'm no longer able to take stimulants, which means that I can't code. As a result, I recently decided to change careers, but it hasn't been going very well. I've been trying out random unskilled jobs, but haven't been able to keep them.

I'm thinking of going to vocational/trade school and majoring in advertising and graphic design (it's a 2-year full-time program). I really wanted to study acting but my parents won't pay for that. The thing is that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it through school without meds. I feel like advertising and graphic design are more ADD-friendly than programming, but I'm not sure the classes will be.

The school that I'm thinking of going to is in Canada. Does anyone know how academic accommodations work in Canada? I most certainly won't be able to make it through school without them.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

finallyfound10
03-05-17, 05:47 PM
I am on Stratterra a non-stimulant and it's better than the Concerta then Vyvanse I was on before.

Is coding the only thing a CS grad can do? Have you looked in all of the possible things one can do with it? How about other fields that are computer-related?

I would not get into another degree until it was my very last option.

Jenn1202
03-05-17, 07:02 PM
Technical support requires less coding and more customer service, but I can't do it either. Graphic design is kind of similar and I think I'm going to be able to do it because I really like doing arts & crafts and creative stuff but I'd have to go to vocational/trade school for that because I don't have the skills.

I've thought of trying Stratterra but the thing is that based on the information I found online it seems like it causes more heart related side effects than stimulants. Given that my medical issues are heart related, it probably wouldn't work for me.