View Full Version : Concerta not working anymore.. Dextroamphetamine?

ZehRed
03-05-17, 06:33 PM
I've been on Concerta for a few years now at 72mg and it helped with my focus so much but when I went to the psychiatric hospital, the psychiatrist there took it away because he says that I shouldn't be taking stimulants when I have schizophrenia. The thing is, stimulants don't give me psychosis.

My outpatient psychiatrist gave me back 54mg in the morning to start with and then said he can increase it to 81mg a day later by adding an extra 27mg at noon.

Right now, I don't feel like I can focus or pay attention especially when I'm reading but it does help a little just not like before. Maybe the extra 27mg will make a difference?

Should I switch to Dexedrine if the extra 27mg doesn't work? I tried Vyvanse 60mg but it didn't work.

My psychiatrist says he doesn't want to prescribe other stimulants because they are addictive and that they are bad for schizophrenia when I asked if I could switch because my insurance and disability wouldn't pay for Concerta but would pay for Ritalin and Dexedrine.

Maybe it will be worth the potential addictiveness and potential psychosis in his perspective now that it doesn't help with my focus? If he doesn't, do I see a new psychiatrist? Because it's really bad.

I also take Concerta for severe hypersomnia and chronic fatigue and it works amazing for that.

Jenn1202
03-05-17, 08:09 PM
Based on what you said you don't take the medication the same way you did before, which could be the reason why it doesn't work anymore. If 72 mg worked for you before, why don't you try that again before u try other medications? If it worked for you before the hospital took you off of it, there's no reason why it shouldn't work now.

Another reason why meds often stop working is that they interact with some other medication that you're taking. Did the hospital or outpatient pdoc put you on medications that you weren't taking before? Did they stop any of the medications that you were taking before?

sarahsweets
03-06-17, 05:40 AM
I've been on Concerta for a few years now at 72mg and it helped with my focus so much but when I went to the psychiatric hospital, the psychiatrist there took it away because he says that I shouldn't be taking stimulants when I have schizophrenia. The thing is, stimulants don't give me psychosis.
Were you hospitalized for psychosis? Was it related to your schizophrenia?

My outpatient psychiatrist gave me back 54mg in the morning to start with and then said he can increase it to 81mg a day later by adding an extra 27mg at noon.

Do you think if you went back to the 72mg it would work? Instead of going to 81mg?

Should I switch to Dexedrine if the extra 27mg doesn't work? I tried Vyvanse 60mg but it didn't work.

Concerta and Dexedrine are drugs from two different families- methylphenidate and amphetamine. As far as I know they work similar but not exactly the same. I have bipolar and anything from the methylphenidate class of drugs caused wild mood swings so amphetamines have always worked. Vyvanse is the only amphetamine that didnt work for me, but I think that had to do with the way it was absorbed.

My psychiatrist says he doesn't want to prescribe other stimulants because they are addictive and that they are bad for schizophrenia when I asked if I could switch because my insurance and disability wouldn't pay for Concerta but would pay for Ritalin and Dexedrine.

From that perspective, all stimulants can be addictive, not just the ones like ritalin or dexedrine. If the concern is addiction then vyvanse or concerta is just as much of a concern.

Maybe it will be worth the potential addictiveness and potential psychosis in his perspective now that it doesn't help with my focus? If he doesn't, do I see a new psychiatrist? Because it's really bad.

I dont believe anything is worth the potential psychosis if indeed yours was caused by medication.